SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > First attempt at sewing a pair of trousers - please help!!!! ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
First attempt at sewing a pair of trousers - please help!!!!
shalloon
shalloon
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/25/12
Send Message

Date: 7/27/12 6:33 AM

OK, this is my first attempt at sewing a pair of trousers, and please forgive me, I want to scream. Really loudly.

My first attempt was with a simple drawstring trousers from New Look. I gave up in frustration after two tries, because the pattern would have required extensive alterations I really donít want to make (Iím just a beginner).

Current attempt is with a simple drawstring trousers from a Mc Calls pattern. No darts, no closure to speak of, 4 pieces only. Iím sewing this (well, attempting to) in black cotton muslin (no right and wrong side, which I thought would make things easier).

So I folded my fabric, cut out my pieces.

Patterns instructions:
1. sew the back to the front at inner leg join.
OK, done.

2. Stich crotch seam.
So I laid my two pieces (the joined up front to back) on top of one another, front against front and back againt back, so that the curves matched, and started sewing. Then I realised that both pieces had the seam facing towards me (as opoposed to both seams being outside), so I painstainkingly unpicked what I had done. Then I tried to lay the pieces so that both seans are inside facing (ie wrong side out/ right side in). But when I do that, that means that the curves donít match any more. The only way to have the curves matching is to lay it out the way I did originally. Surely this canít be right?

Could somebody explain to me what is happening, what I did wrong, and what I should have done to avoid this? I donít suppose itís fixable?

Thanks in advance for your help!

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to shalloon <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/27/12 6:44 AM

Even though your fabric may not have a right or wrong side, it's important to make sure you keep the 4 pieces (in this case) facing the correct way when you sew them. You need a right and left of both front and back, and it sounds like you may have sewn one pair wrong sides together, giving you 2 legs the same ( two left or two right).

It's a good idea on fabric like this to mark the wrong sides when you cut them out. Some chalk or a piece of tape will suffice.

ETA you can fix this by ripping out the seams on one piece, reversing the pieces and restitching.
-- Edited on 7/27/12 6:47 AM --

------
chris

Melbourne

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/27/12 8:02 AM

To sew the crotch seam, after assembling both legs you put one leg inside the other so that their right sides are together. You should end up seeing the wrong side of one leg and the other leg is now inside that leg and if you take a peek inside the tube you should see the wrong side of that one. Wrong side means you see the seam allowances. And sew up the crotch from one side of the U to the other.
Like misscriss said, even if both sides of your fabric look alike there is still a right/wrong side for making the garment come together. It actually may have been easier to pick a fabric with a very distinct wrong side. Also black is really hard to see your stitches to unpick.
Hang in there, we've all done this. And at much more experienced levels than a raw beginner. It may help you to visualize if you grab a pair of pants you own and play around with how the pieces actually fit together. Try making the tube I described above by turning them inside out and shoving one leg inside the other. You should get a nice visual of the U crotch. This works on either drawstring or zip slacks.

QuiltSewSewSue
starstarstar
QuiltSewSewSue
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

In reply to misschris <<

Date: 7/27/12 8:40 AM

I am with Misschris on this one. Basically you have sewn two right legs or two left legs when you need one of each. They need to be a mirror image of each other.

Follow Misschris's advice and you will be right... best of luck with it...

------
Sue (Toowoomba Qld)
Love to sew....

http://quiltsewsewsue.blogspot.com/

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 7/27/12 10:44 AM

On no! It sounds like something is sewn wrong. Modern directions can be confusing. The way I learned to sew pants (and the way I still sew most pants this way) is that I sew center back and center front seams first, then side seams, then you can lay the pants down and see how to sew the inseam. It is harder to adjust the crotch seam doing it this way but it is much easier for a beginner sewer. You can at least see what you are sewing. Sew up and both the side seam and the inseam from the bottom up.

shalloon
shalloon
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/25/12
Send Message

Date: 7/27/12 4:05 PM

Ah, thank you all so much for the help and encouragement! I needed that!

I guess I'll be extra careful next time...for this one, I just couldn't bear unpicking a whole leg seam (not on that fabric! way too fiddly!!! and, yes, it probably would have been easier to pick up a fabric with a definite right and wrong side - lesson learned!), so I just went ahead, and finished the trousers (which are pretty much The Ugliest Pair OF Pants Ever, but never mind), and I'll just pretend that having the seam on the outside is a, you know, design feature. Ahem.

Will try the leg inside one another trick too - but I tried that on the New Look one I attempted before this one, and I ended up with half of the trousers being shorter at the waist than the other one (the waistline at the back on those is much higher than the waistline at the front), but know I'm thinking I might have done the same thing again and sewn two right (or left) legs.

Oh well. Lots of lessons learned, hopefully.

Thanks again! :-)

Silk Challis
star
Silk Challis
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 10/15/08
Send Message

Date: 7/27/12 4:15 PM

I agree with misschris and QuiltSewSewSue: it sounds like you have sewn two right legs or two left legs. This can and does happen to anyone, no matter how expert they are.

If you accept my advice, choose a fabric which is not of a dark color. It makes easier to see your stitches in case you have to undo them. And as suggested above mark the right and wrong side so you do not end up with two pieces of the same side.

shalloon
shalloon
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/25/12
Send Message

Date: 7/27/12 4:27 PM

Ah, but, see, I only wear dark colours....and I only want to sew what I'll want to wear... :)

But yeah, marking the fabric some way, so that there is a right and wrong side, even when there isn't, that's definitely something I should do.

Silk Challis
star
Silk Challis
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 10/15/08
Send Message

In reply to shalloon <<

Date: 7/27/12 4:36 PM

Quote: shalloon
I only want to sew what I'll want to wear... :)

I couldn't agree more!
Silk Challis
star
Silk Challis
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 10/15/08
Send Message

In reply to shalloon <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/27/12 4:43 PM

Quote: shalloon
and I'll just pretend that having the seam on the outside is a, you know, design feature. Ahem.

If you can take at least 1 cm (3/8") in per seam, you can transform that seam into a french seam and restore the look of the right side of the trousers. Do not forget to take in the other leg too.

If you cannot, you can always do something pretty with that inside-out seam. You are the designer there. A nice finish of the seam allowance or an applied contrasting band or lace or even sequins... my creative side is going into overdrive now!
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> First attempt at sewing a pair of trousers - please help!!!!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Everyday Baskets

Everyday Baskets

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Wrap Top

Christine Jonson Wrap Top

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.