SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Burda Sheath dress 05/2012 #112 ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Burda Sheath dress 05/2012 #112
no7262
star
no7262
Beginner
NJ USA
Member since 6/5/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/29/12 8:50 AM

In patterns and Notions some one posted a picture of this beautiful Burda Sheath Dress! I am so in love with it!

How ever it is made for a tall woman.... I am only 5'3, but I do believe that I have a well proportioned torso. How would I go about altering this dress? Or do you think that because it is ruched that I could get a way with out having to shorten the waist. I know I would have to take the hem up, but I need your help!

TIA
Nora :)

------

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

Date: 7/29/12 9:09 AM

If this were a simple sheath dress, I'd consider checking out burda's size charts. Open one of the women's charts and compare the different measures for tall sizes (as burda used for the dress pattern) for bust point . Compare these with your own measures for at least the measures 'back lenght', 'front waist lenght', and 'bust point'. This should give you an idea of where you are shorter compared to the pattern and by how much at these locations you'd need shorten.

No idea if this could work with this rouched sheath dress but I am hopeful others being more knowleadgeable than me will chime in.

------
Happy Sewing!

no7262
star
no7262
Beginner
NJ USA
Member since 6/5/09
Send Message

In reply to GBK <<

Date: 7/29/12 7:50 PM

Thank you for your reply!

------

Elcue
Elcue  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 6/13/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/30/12 12:59 PM

Do you have a plain sheath dress that fits you? That superimposed over the tall pattern could guide you to get the proportions you need. I don't think the ruching would make any difference.

Get some cheap jersey and experiment.

SVN
star
SVN
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 1:24 PM

In almost every issue, burda shows how to shorten or lengthen a pattern. Do you have a copy of a magazine you could look at?
Basically, for a dress, if you want to go from tall to regular size, you remove 7mm in length from mid armhole area and 13mm from area between waist and bottom of armhole. Remember to walk the seams to ensure you are doing it in roughly the same place. Remove 20mm to the sleeve between bicep line and elbow. If there is a sleeve with a high cap, you also remove 5mm toward top of cap - between notch and shoulder point. If the sleeve cap is shallow, remove the 5mm to edge of the sleeve (where the sleeve seam is - the one that goes from armpit to wrist, adding 2.5mm on either side, tapering to nothing at elbow.
Hope that helps.
-- Edited on 7/30/12 1:26 PM --

SVN
star
SVN
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 1:25 PM

I just saw that you're 5'3" - which puts you in the petite sizes for Burda. So, I think you'll want to double all the numbers I gave you.

no7262
star
no7262
Beginner
NJ USA
Member since 6/5/09
Send Message

In reply to Elcue <<

Date: 7/31/12 8:09 AM

Thanks so much for your reply, I just think that I am over my head with this pattern. I just really love the look and style.

------

no7262
star
no7262
Beginner
NJ USA
Member since 6/5/09
Send Message

In reply to SVN <<

Date: 7/31/12 8:13 AM

After reading your reply, I think that I am in over my head. My torso would be in a regular size. I would have to convert cm to inches, which make my head hurt. Really I don't have enough experience to tackle this. It makes my heart very sad.....

Nora :/

------

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to no7262 <<

Date: 7/31/12 8:45 AM

I think it is gorgeous, please don't give up! Looking at he line drawing, I bet each of those 4 sections is a rectangle or close to a rectangle. Why not just take 1/2 or 3/4 out of each section? Since you have balanced proportions, it may be just hat easy. I know you'll also have o deal with the top bodice which will be trickier but I think most of the shortening will be very easy.

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to SVN <<

Date: 7/31/12 10:10 AM

Quote: SVN
In almost every issue, burda shows how to shorten or lengthen a pattern.

I use my cutting mat, aligning the waist and grain lines with the lines of the grid. You can even use a metre/yard ruler and do it on several pieces at the same time, if you are careful and weigh down the pattern pieces.

But SVN is right, it's roughly 2cm(3/4in?) out of the bodice and bottom each time btw size ranges. That would mean about 4cm (1in3/4?) to go from Tall to Petite if you were proportionate.

(I intend to test theory this ou on the Pattern Magic like dress they put out)

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Burda Sheath dress 05/2012 #112

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Betz White NA

photo
by: SquishSews

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 45793-1017

photo
by: nancy2001

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.