SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > More What Would You Make? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
More What Would You Make?
FabricMart Mystery Bundle
MilongueraThreads
star
MilongueraThreads
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/17/07
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 2:18 PM

I got my first bundles from FabricMart today; I love most of the fabrics although now I'm not sure what to plan to do with some of them!

One that I feel *needs* to be made into something is this Vera Wang Emerald Silk Twill. The ribs in the twill are very visually noticeable, and the color is intense. It's fluid and heavy. I think I have around 1.5 yard of it.

The next one I'm not sure what to do with is 2ish yards of a Pink Wool Crepe. It's not a color I would wear to the office, and while it's probably a bit pale on me I think made into the right piece it could become something I really love.

Any fun ideas?

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to MilongueraThreads <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/30/12 2:30 PM

What would I make....

Make the hubbie move someplace with me with actual seasons so I can wear more beautiful fabrics like the ones in your bundles.

Pink Wool Crepe....lots of pretty classic cape patterns from short to long. A skirt with a bolder color or print close to your face? A longer tailored vest with a high neckline and details like welted pockets that will stand out on the pale color. A hat and matching - get ready - muff. An extraordinary bag with perfect stitching and details stolen from well tailored clothes.

Wonder if you can felt wool crepe?

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 3:17 PM

Silk twill = gorgeous!!! I see that as a beautiful blouse, with lots of elegant details.
Pink wool crepe = hmmm. I'd probably make that into something that doesn't go near my face. A fluid skirt, worn with a white, structured blouse?

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/30/12 3:27 PM

The silk sounds like it might need to be a bias cut cowl top... a simple something where the richness of the fabric does the talking.

You can dye the pink wool so it will be a better color for you.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 4:38 PM

I'll tell you your bundles are a heck of a lot better then mine! I get a lot of wool coating (which I don't use a ton of) and stuff that is very matronly, so much so even my mom doesn't like it.

I'd make the green into this the blouse of the woman sitting at the treadle. I have this issue and have some fabric for my own version, lol.

The pink...it would make a fantastic nightgown.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 5:24 PM

Oooh, nice blouse, Sew Ducky

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 5:24 PM

The silk twill would make a lovely lining in a jacket or coat.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

MilongueraThreads
star
MilongueraThreads
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/17/07
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/30/12 5:36 PM

Aw! I'm sure you will find a use for all the wool coating! Otherwise eBay or Etsy the wool coating and the other matronly fabrics!

I like the cowl-neck top idea; as there's not a lot of fabric and I'm a size 14 in the Big 4 I think a sleeveless cowl-neck top might be my best bet. I'll have to wash the twill and see how it drapes. It is a stunning piece.

I definitely feel like I got my $15 bucks worth out of both bundles (I still haven't matched up what a couple of the fabrics are and there are definitely two fabrics that I probably will just use for muslins), so I'll probably be buying bundles the next time I buy fabric from them.

The pink wool is a bit heavy/thick for a nightgown, and it would be a shame to dye it because it is a pretty color, even if it's a bit pale for me. I'll have to think about this one.

MilongueraThreads
star
MilongueraThreads
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/17/07
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 5:41 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I did some searching and this is what Vera did with the twill:
http://www.theoutnet.com/am/product/31779?cm_mmc=LinkshareUS-_-Hy3bqNL2jtQ-_-Custom-_-LinkBuilder&siteID=Hy3bqNL2jtQ-LphrcomIwhh7CzqsPFY3Kw

http://www.polyvore.com/discount_vera_wang_lavender_silk/thing?id=8550737

http://fashion.me/apps/closet/show/163792/

I would normally want to use the twill for a lining also, but it's such a beautiful rich color just screaming to be seen.

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 2:45 PM

I have taken some of my previous mystery bundle wool crepe and felted it. For a color that is not great on you, I would recommend some free motion embroidery in either a deeper color or complementary color. Do the embroidery first, then when you felt(really it is fulling)the wool, it will have increased texture, plus a better color! Good luck!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> More What Would You Make?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Vogue Patterns 8259 OOP

photo
by: highCsopra...

Review
Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.