SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Boxers or briefs . . . Actually ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Boxers or briefs . . . Actually
Needle up or down (whoops)
kayco
kayco  Friend of PR
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 6/3/12
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 7:58 PM

Do you have a preference? I like my Machine to stop with the needle down. As a beginner I often stop mid-seam to assess or adjust. I can set my bernina for this, but the default is needle up. I'm wondering why you'd want it to stop with the needle up? Btw, when I press the thread cutter button at the end of the seam it stops up regardless of how i've set it (I like that too).

------
Palace - Babylock Ovation - She makes me feel like a Princess
Cricket - Bernina Artista 730e - Steady, Smart and Sweet
Renee - Berina 1150MDA - My Tiny Dancer

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 8:11 PM

I like to stop with it up because I don't have an automatic thread cutter, and this saves me a teensy bit of time on a seam.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to kayco <<

Date: 7/30/12 8:49 PM

I like it up...Force of habit , maybe. Last year I bought a machine that has the needle down and I don't know how many times I've yanked on the fabric, only to find the needle still in it. After the year, I still don't like it. If I want it down, I prefer to put it down myself..it takes about a second!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to kayco <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/30/12 9:44 PM

Hmm if boxers is needle up and briefs is needle down, I would go with neither or commando. I got a machine that stopped needle up and wanted to tear my hair out using it. I like it to stop when and where I tell it to.

Anyone else going commando with me?

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 7/30/12 9:46 PM

Yup. With my treadle I stop it when I want to, and my foot makes it up or letting go makes it down. I stop when I feel like it.

kayco
kayco  Friend of PR
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 6/3/12
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 10:30 AM

Hmmm commando??? You've made me think back to sewing machines of yor ( including a treadle). So if I am stopping with needle down, am I actually taking one more stitch after I let up on the pedal whereas with needle up im stopping after the current stitch but before the next stitch. Perhaps this is why needle up is the default.

------
Palace - Babylock Ovation - She makes me feel like a Princess
Cricket - Bernina Artista 730e - Steady, Smart and Sweet
Renee - Berina 1150MDA - My Tiny Dancer

CosmicFabulosity
CosmicFabulosity
Intermediate
VA
Member since 12/15/07
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 11:08 AM

I'd say boxer briefs, if that means both options.

I really want a machine with needle down and just haven't found the right one yet. Both of my Pfaffs stop with the needle up; the 2020 does it automatic, the 1222E can finish the stitch and stop with the needle up when I depress the presser foot lever. The needle up function has been pretty cool for threading the needle and I've never pulled the fabric away only to find out the thread is still wrapped around the bobbin, unlike the cheap Brother machines I had in the past.

But I still want a needle down option.

------
www.iamchristianmichael.com
I'm proof that men really will ask for directions :-D
Bernina 240 & 130, Pfaff 1222E & 2020, Singer 503, Janome 3434D, closet way too full of spandex and I think there is a puppy somewhere in this mess.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 11:09 AM

I prefer needle down, although the default on my machine is needle up. As I turn my machine on, I adjust the stitch length and push the needle down button right away. I want my project to stay put when I'm sewing along.

------
Judy

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Judy Kski <<

Date: 7/31/12 2:30 PM

I always use needle down, for the same reason Judy does--no moving, no shifting of fabric until I say it's OK.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 8/1/12 0:12 AM

Usually needle down as I want the fabric to stay where it is when I stop sewing and if Ihave to lift the presser foot nothing shifts.
My machine lets me choose. Love that machine even if there are thing on it that I have never used or am likely to use.

------
Ada

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Boxers or briefs . . . Actually

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Lutterloh Supp 251, 234

photo
by: JEF

Review
Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.