SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Looking for a book store in New York ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looking for a book store in New York
Lots and lots of patchwork and quilting books
lynny
star
lynny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 11/18/04
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 6:47 AM

Finally, finally we have our US trip all booked. As part of the holiday we will have about 6 days in New York.

I have been told about a multi story bookstore that has a whole floor dedicated to patchwork and quilting books, unfortunately I don't have an exact address.

Anyone know of this store please?

Also (same person) suggested that there are places that will send to Aust at much cheaper rates than the post office unfortunately I couldn't get anything more specific. Are there alternatives to the postal service for sending all the books I buy back to Australia?

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions, thanks.

------
Lynny - Geelong, Australia

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to lynny <<

Date: 7/31/12 7:33 AM

This is NOT the multi-story bookstore you describe, but you should still visit…

City Quilter

Also, write to them: they should be able to identify the bookstore you’re looking for and maybe answer questions about shipping to AU.

Have fun in our city! We do it all for you!

j.

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to lynny <<

Date: 7/31/12 10:13 AM

The giant bookstore may be Strand books...they have a lot...but not a ton of sewing and craft books.

I would also visit both kinokunya (sp?) the japanese book store across from bryant park..they have several cool sewing and craft magazines with patterns and a nice selection of sewign and textile books.. i also highly recommend bookoff which sells used japanse books and magazines. The selection and the amount of books varies theyhave both garment making magazines and quilt/craft magazines.

The bookstore at FIT has a really good selection of books on textiles, sewing and the like. there is also a wonderful independant bookstore across t27th street fromt the FIT bookstore that sells books on fashion , textiles crafts along with sewing supplies. if you are there at the right moment they sometimes give away foreign magazines that are past their sell date( minus their covers). While you are at FIT you should go to their museum.. it's free and always good. the exhibits are always well designed and thought provoking. New York is not a particularly good place to buy quilting fabics ( aside from city quilter). it is a wonderful place to buy nearly every other sort of fabric.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 10:37 AM

BTW: FIT stands for Fashion Institute of Technology

j.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 11:31 AM

I vaguely remember a pretty good selection of sewing/quilting books at the Barnes and Noble@ Union Square. The Union Square area is a nice place to spend some time, anyhow. Mon, Wed, Fri and Saturday, the Greenmarket stalls are open, there are interesting stores in the area, and the fried calamari at Union Square Cafe is reason enough for a trip to NYC. ;)

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

lynny
star
lynny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 11/18/04
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 6:54 PM

Thank-you all so much for your very helpful information.

I've printed off the hours and directions to City Quilters (sounds like a shop I really need to go to). Will email them about postage too.

The shop is 2 minutes walk from FIT and only 10 minute walk to the garment / fashion district. I've already printed off all the information on PR for NY fabric shopping so sounds like I will have a fabulous time there.

Thanks again.

------

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 9:23 PM

Check out THESE store reviews?

j.

lynny
star
lynny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 11/18/04
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 8/1/12 3:13 AM

The Sewer's Guide is perfect jadamo00, thank-you so much. I've printed off your review as well as the guide, should be all set now.

------

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 7:38 AM

Watch out for closed days at City Quilter (Mondays I believe) and FIT's Museum (mornings, not sure of days of the week).

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to m/m <<

Date: 8/2/12 8:32 AM

Quote: m/m
Watch out for closed days at City Quilter (Mondays I believe)

Right, right! Good reminder!

I've done that: stood outside City Quilter saying,
"Why are you closed today -- I'm HERE!"

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Looking for a book store in New York

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Newport Tote

Newport Tote

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Spearmint Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.