SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > How many have traced their Genealogy? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How many have traced their Genealogy?
You can find so much online!
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 5:39 PM

I just followed my grandmother back to the 9th generation-what fun! I didn't even join any paid site yet, just Googled the family name and "genealogy." Found a Syracuse Archives prof who posted info for many family names.
I didn't know anything about her parents except that she came from upper NY state before marriage and moved to the midwest. Those who go back to Colonial times are easier to search because they have a longer US history. If they came from Europe, many records were lost in the wars.
Too bad we get interested in this after they are gone--guess it's our age that triggers new interest. I also found online a few remaining members of my dad's WWII company. I lost him when I was 26, so never heard many stories.
On my H's side, relatives have photos back to the Russian Revolution, don't know how they ever made it that long....

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 5:55 PM

I have some of the family lines going way back. Can't take any credit for it, mostly it was easy to find information. Every so often I get going again and try to find out a bit more, but don't take it uber seriously.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 5:59 PM

My mother's father's line comes from Prussia. They immigrated to the U.S. to avoid having the sons conscripted into the army by the Prussian Czar. So they wound up in the Civil War instead. Didn't speak English or understand what it was all about. Horrible.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 7:37 PM

Traced part of my father's family back to when they arrived prior to the Revolutionary war. Also discovered that I'm a fifth generation native Californian (from my mother's side of the family).

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 8:12 PM

I knew my mother's family was french, but I recently found out that they were very early settlers of in Quebec and were there for nearly 300 years before moving to Wisconsin. Quebec provincial records are fantastic!

Yarndiva
star
Yarndiva
Advanced
California USA
Member since 3/28/06
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 9:24 PM

I did a quick search one day only to find a very moving page on the internet. It was my father listed with his family. It was not long after that the mother died and the family got separated because of their father's abandonment in the early 30's. Seeing the names of those children made the once hard to believe story very true. They existed.

------
http://silkmothsewing.blogspot.com/

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 9:54 PM

I know some of my family back to about 1850. We had to do it for a class unit in junior high & I saved it. Not really long compared to DH's side. BIL does the tracing & he's made quite the hobby of it. A few generations back & info. had to be translated from another language.

Plottie

Plottie
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/19/07
Send Message

Date: 7/31/12 11:14 PM

The internet has really open genealogy up & made it so much easier to find people.

My FIL knew very little of his mother's parents etc etc, but over the past 10 years I've found lots of connections and family. It's probably a good thing he passed away before I found that his maternal grand-father had 4 wives and a 'bidey-in' (a local Scottish term for a de facto). Although he described himself as a widower at all marriages, it seems that only his first wife died before him, all the rest moved on, or he did! And divorce was not an really option in those days. (He and his parents were always named in full on all certificates so it was definately him)

------
Blue Mountains, NSW

PatriciaK
PatriciaK  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 8/24/05
Send Message

Date: 8/1/12 0:22 AM

I had very little interest in geneology until my daughter started researching. She called me a few weeks ago and told me that we're direct descendents of Henry II and Catherine de Medici! That's pretty cool !

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 8/1/12 9:36 AM

I have studied my families genealogy back to the 1300s. It is quite interesting. Ancestry.com is not cheap for the international version, but it is worth every cent if you want to find all you can without traveling there. It does help to have royal connections because those were carefully documented. Our family relates to a child of King James II of Scotland and one of his mistresses!

I have discovered some family secrets- some strange coincidences of different generations moving in and out of the same areas- and generations of similar occupations. I am busy again now that the 1940 census has come out.

To pay for my ancestry.com subscription I have researched for money other people's family trees. 4 generations will only take one or two days usually so I can easily do a few and pay for my costs.

Good luck with your search

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> How many have traced their Genealogy?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Simplicity 1783

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Deer&Doe Robe Sureau

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.