Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > How many have traced their Genealogy? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How many have traced their Genealogy?
You can find so much online!
gramma b
star
gramma b
Advanced
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 7/31/12 5:39 PM

I just followed my grandmother back to the 9th generation-what fun! I didn't even join any paid site yet, just Googled the family name and "genealogy." Found a Syracuse Archives prof who posted info for many family names.
I didn't know anything about her parents except that she came from upper NY state before marriage and moved to the midwest. Those who go back to Colonial times are easier to search because they have a longer US history. If they came from Europe, many records were lost in the wars.
Too bad we get interested in this after they are gone--guess it's our age that triggers new interest. I also found online a few remaining members of my dad's WWII company. I lost him when I was 26, so never heard many stories.
On my H's side, relatives have photos back to the Russian Revolution, don't know how they ever made it that long....

petro
starstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
FRANCE
Member since 6/24/07

Date: 7/31/12 5:55 PM

I have some of the family lines going way back. Can't take any credit for it, mostly it was easy to find information. Every so often I get going again and try to find out a bit more, but don't take it uber seriously.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/12/04

Date: 7/31/12 5:59 PM

My mother's father's line comes from Prussia. They immigrated to the U.S. to avoid having the sons conscripted into the army by the Prussian Czar. So they wound up in the Civil War instead. Didn't speak English or understand what it was all about. Horrible.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/14/06

Date: 7/31/12 7:37 PM

Traced part of my father's family back to when they arrived prior to the Revolutionary war. Also discovered that I'm a fifth generation native Californian (from my mother's side of the family).

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08

Date: 7/31/12 8:12 PM

I knew my mother's family was french, but I recently found out that they were very early settlers of in Quebec and were there for nearly 300 years before moving to Wisconsin. Quebec provincial records are fantastic!

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

Yarndiva
star
Yarndiva
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 3/28/06

Date: 7/31/12 9:24 PM

I did a quick search one day only to find a very moving page on the internet. It was my father listed with his family. It was not long after that the mother died and the family got separated because of their father's abandonment in the early 30's. Seeing the names of those children made the once hard to believe story very true. They existed.

------
http://silkmothsewing.blogspot.com/

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10

Date: 7/31/12 9:54 PM

I know some of my family back to about 1850. We had to do it for a class unit in junior high & I saved it. Not really long compared to DH's side. BIL does the tracing & he's made quite the hobby of it. A few generations back & info. had to be translated from another language.

Plottie

Plottie
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/19/07

Date: 7/31/12 11:14 PM

The internet has really open genealogy up & made it so much easier to find people.

My FIL knew very little of his mother's parents etc etc, but over the past 10 years I've found lots of connections and family. It's probably a good thing he passed away before I found that his maternal grand-father had 4 wives and a 'bidey-in' (a local Scottish term for a de facto). Although he described himself as a widower at all marriages, it seems that only his first wife died before him, all the rest moved on, or he did! And divorce was not an really option in those days. (He and his parents were always named in full on all certificates so it was definately him)

------
Blue Mountains, NSW

PatriciaK
PatriciaK  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WA USA
Member since 8/24/05

Date: 8/1/12 0:22 AM

I had very little interest in geneology until my daughter started researching. She called me a few weeks ago and told me that we're direct descendents of Henry II and Catherine de Medici! That's pretty cool !

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator

Date: 8/1/12 9:36 AM

I have studied my families genealogy back to the 1300s. It is quite interesting. Ancestry.com is not cheap for the international version, but it is worth every cent if you want to find all you can without traveling there. It does help to have royal connections because those were carefully documented. Our family relates to a child of King James II of Scotland and one of his mistresses!

I have discovered some family secrets- some strange coincidences of different generations moving in and out of the same areas- and generations of similar occupations. I am busy again now that the 1940 census has come out.

To pay for my ancestry.com subscription I have researched for money other people's family trees. 4 generations will only take one or two days usually so I can easily do a few and pay for my costs.

Good luck with your search

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> How many have traced their Genealogy?

Merchants on PR
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Pants
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Pants

Simplicity 4138 Misses Skirts
photo
Review by kristinlal... on 7/25/10
Read Review

SBCC Patterns Foldover Waistband Maxi Skirt Digital Pattern (XXS-L)
SBCC Patterns Foldover Waistband Maxi Skirt Digital Pattern (XXS-L)

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Cake Patterns Red Velvet Dress Digital Pattern
Cake Patterns Red Velvet Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $14.06
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Other The New Handmade
photo
Review by AlisonK318 on 6/6/10
Read Review

You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern
You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2281 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Simplicity 2281 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8874 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Vogue 8874 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN