SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > mom jeans ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
mom jeans
Tucking your shirt in them! Kill me now!
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 10:44 AM

Have you ever seen women in their mid 60's who still wear the tight high-waisted mom jeans and then tucks their shirt in them? This just drives me nuts! My husband even comments about his sister who is chunky that dresses like this! Oh I'd love to get her on "What Not to Wear!" I admit I don't look good in the really low hip hugger jeans that are out now but when I do wear them I absolutely do not tuck my shirt in them.....maybe if I was 20 years old.

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 8/2/12 11:11 AM

I like to see older women tuck their shirts in... it means they still feel shapely and feminine. And if I'm lucky enough to have a waist at age 60, I will show it off any way I can!

When I was younger, I couldn't imagine why anyone would choose to have elastic in their pants. Now that I'm older, I understand the dockers appeal. Plus, I think many people feel less disheveled with their shirts tucked in.

I've never really understood the mom-jeans hatred. Natural waist pants have been in fashion many times, and in fact, maybe the majority of the time. I remember being a teenager in the 70's wondering how anyone could wear straight leg pants, or 60's style clothes. And of course, we all tucked our polo shirts into our levis.

It's just fashion. Watch the pendulum move.
-- Edited on 8/2/12 11:12 AM --

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<
thumbsup 15 members like this.

Date: 8/2/12 12:48 PM

Lots going on for women in their mid sixties. Some are still working. Some are happy or surprised to be taking care of grandchildren - all of the time. Some are taking care of grandchildren and older parents and dealing with getting a bit older themselves; maybe even helping their partners through health issues or, worse, missing them.

Just trying to gently say let's give one another a break.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/2/12 12:51 PM

The one I know would not be able to stretch her t-shirt over her rear, so she tucks in the shirt.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 8/2/12 12:56 PM

My sister-in-law for 30 years now, even when she was a size 6, has never had a fashion sense. I just would love to see her in a princess seam button down blouse with those jeans....untucked of course. I think it would be so much more flattering on her. I guess what really irritates us is when she clips her cell phone to her belt. Drives us nuts!

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 8/2/12 12:57 PM

That's funny! lol

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/2/12 1:58 PM

My MIL - in her 80's tucks her shirts in so tightly that she can't stand up straight. Add to that she's 80 and you have the waist band under her boobs all hunched over with the bottom of the slacks at her ankle. She's only 5' so I can't blame the pants. Bless her heart - at least she still gets dressed.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 3:29 PM

I'm with halleyscomet...I think it looks awful and there is no reason someone who is still dressing themselves needs to wear such unattractive pants. When I was a young woman, I could get away with that because I was skinny. Now? I would look like an oompa loompa. My SIL tucks in camp type shirts in to mom jeans or worse...bermudas, and then clips a fanny pack on. She is hopeless but I love her. We were in HS together and she was hopeless then and I was taking different fashion risks. :-)

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 8/2/12 4:14 PM

My SIL jeans at least don't come up below her boobs but they are about two sizes too small. When I see a person with a cell phone clipped to their belt, I don't think anything about it when it is a man but when a woman does it. OMG! I think next they will have a big ole set of keys hanging down from the belt.

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 18 members like this.

Date: 8/2/12 4:16 PM

Thank goodness we all have the choice to dress the way that makes us feel good (and isn't that the point of it all?).

It's one thing to wear a burka by choice....a whole different thing when society makes you do it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> mom jeans

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Kwik Sew 3873

photo
by: ClaireEmil...

Review

Pattern

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

More Info
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.