SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > bias strips ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
bias strips
math needed for long lengths
lulurose
lulurose
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/4/09
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 11:19 AM

I'm going to tackle a wingback chair and estimated I'll need 13 yards of piping. I've looked up some tutorials and would like to use the continuous strip method from a tube. However I can't figure out how much fabric to use. I'm using 58" upholstery and need 13 yrds of piping.

I'm stuck before I have even started.lol

Anyone know how to calculate this?
Thank you.

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 11:30 AM

Calculating continuous bias

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 12:57 PM

Lulurose, you might find this thread from a few weeks ago helpful. I was trying to figure out how much fabric I needed for 10 yards of binding, and the posters were very helpful both with the math, as well as posting multiple tutorials, links, and tips.

------
~Gem in the prairie

lulurose
lulurose
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/4/09
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 1:01 PM

Thanks, Clt3.

I got as far as...
"The bias length (BL) of each strip is the square root of (2 * Y2) [square 13.5. Multiply by 2. Take the square root.] Therefore, BL is 19.09.
The base width (BW) is the square root of (2 * W2) [square 1.75. Multiply by 2. Take the square root.] Therefore, BW is 2.47.
The number of strips (N) that you can cut across the width is UW / BW [40 / 2.47 = 16.2 (round to the lowest whole number ... partial width strips are unuseable). Therefore, N is 16.
Finally, the amount of linear inches (LI) you'll get from this amount of fabric is N * BL [16 strips times 19.09] Therefore, N is 305.44 inches. "

Which means I'll be guessing from here on out!

lulurose
lulurose
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/4/09
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 1:03 PM

Sorry, Stir, cross posted. Thank you for the link, off to look it up!

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 1:37 PM

The area you start with will be pretty close to the area you end with (I find the last marked strip is generally too narrow to use).

So figure out how wide you want to cut the piping. Let's say you'll cut your piping 2 inches wide.

13 yards is 468 inches.

Total area needed: length x width
468 x 2=936

Now figure out how wide your fabric is. Let's say it's 60 wide:

length x 60=936
length = 936/60
length=15.6

So I'd cut a piece of fabric 16 or 17 inches long, assuming it's 60 wide; actually, I'd probably cut it 20 inches long just to be on the safe side. For a different width, repeat the math substituting your actual width for 60.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 6:49 AM

OK, OK I get it. Sorry, B.S. in math here. Tell me how wide you are cutting your bias strips and I'll figure it for you!

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

lulurose
lulurose
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/4/09
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 10:18 AM

Thank you for the offer, Clt3.
I'm heading to the sewing room now. I understand the straightforward division and multiplication formula. Should get me where I need to be.

I hope I didn't offend you, I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply. Not your fault that the slightest whiff of algebra makes me break out in hives :0)

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 7:52 PM

For anyone who wants to create a simple spreadsheet, using Shelly Rodgers formula:

Use the top row (row 1) for labels:
A1 Useable Width in inches
B1 Yardage along selvedge edge in inches
C1 Desired width of bias strip
D1 Bias Length (BL)
E1 Base Width (BW)
F1 Number of strips
G1 Linear inches of bias tape.

Use the second row to enter your measurements and to compute. You'll enter measurements in A2, B2, and C2. In D2, E2, F2, and G2, enter the formulas shown below:

A2 (enter the usable width of the fabric in inches, remembering that you will trim off the selvedge)
B2 (enter the length of the fabric along the selvedge edge, in inches)
C2 (enter the width of the bias strip that you need, in inches)
D2 =SQRT((2*(B2*B2)))
E2 =SQRT(2*(C2*C2))
F2 =A2/E2
G2 =(INT(F2))*D2

CMC
(I did this in Excel 2007.)

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 8/4/12 8:51 PM

Fabulous spread sheet. Thanks so much.

I have come to rely heavily on the Sunset "Slipcovers and Bedspreads" book and have learned so much from it. They have a chart for making 1 5/8ths inch strips of bias for welting. One half yard of 54 inch fabric will make 14 yards of stripping for your welting according to their chart. My personal recommendation would be to make extra. It always takes more than I think.

I also like to use their method for cutting the bias. Its a tad different than other methods and I find gives the most accurately cut strips. Here's the link : Making bias strips by Sunset

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> bias strips

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

SewBaby More Blankie Buddies pattern Pattern

SewBaby More Blankie Buddies pattern Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.