SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > ADD ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
ADD
Anyone been diagnosed as an adult?
Plantwizard
star
Plantwizard
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 2/14/03
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 12:34 PM

So my shrink thinks I have ADHD and that this is driving a lot of the anxiety I have. Anxiety that hasn't been getting better despite Zoloft and counseling. She's basing this on my life history and how I currently interact with the world shall we say. Apparently ADD is an often overlooked cause of anxiety in adult women. She claims she's only misdiagnose this once so her self reported track record is good. Actually it's not the ADD per se that causes the anxiety but the emotional baggage that's built up over the years of having to deal with it. I've been reading Driven to Distraction and I fit some of the criteria but some stuff doesn't fit. Oh, yeah and I'm 56 not that that means I can't be ADHD.

Namely, I'm organized, punctual and not a flake. I almost never miss or are late for appointments. The bills are paid and there's food on the table. My house is not pristine but it's not a sty either. From my reading most people with ADHD are either hyperactive or they're dreamy flakes. I don't seem to be either. My shrink says it's more what goes on in my head, namely that my brain latches onto things it shouldn't. Sort of a hyperfocus thing. Also I tend to have trouble getting started on things and procrastinate but not on the essentials ie bills, kids shots etc.

Any thoughts here? Any questions I should ask next week?

Thanks,
Jan

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Plantwizard <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/2/12 4:24 PM

I'm 57 and was diagnosed last year. My house is clean, I can be punctual, the bills are usually paid but I know I'm ADD.

Getting off processed foods (mainly sugar) and also off grains has helped clear my thinking a lot. Adderall helped but I feel better just eating right. I also got my thyroid treated and that has helped clear the fog too (I'm still ADD though - it wasn't just thyroid). Those changes happened at Christmas and it's been night and day different for me.

For some reason, I can do what HAS to be done even if I have to swim through the fog to do it.

For the rest, I found an app that has helped me. It lets me schedule blocks of time and keeps coming up with block after block letting me know what to work on. I'm so much more productive now. I also developed some routines that helps. For example, I always put the clean dishes away while the coffee brews (which means the dishwasher runs every night or I wash by hand if there just isn't enough to run a light load.) It's way more important for me to have that routine; I don't have to think about what to do or where to start every day. From there, my app starts beeping me letting me know what to work on in 30 to 60 minute blocks of time that I've set up. If I finish early, I sew (which is a real gift right now).

My thoughts still bounce a lot but I feel more in control and I'm so much more productive now.

------
Mary

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 6:21 PM

ADD's flip side is the hyperfocus. I've thought my husband was ADHD for years. I finally nagged him into going to see a shrink about it, and shockingly, she agreed. She prescribed him some Vyvanse, and he says it's made a huge difference in his quality of life. He works in a deadly dull field, and he says makes all the difference in the world in his late-afternoon 6-hour meetings.

Edit:
He's not a total flake, and in fact, built up his own business over the course of 15 years. He makes deadlines, and gets stuff done better than many people that I know. He just works on stuff in 15-minute increments, or focuses on stuff for hours at a time. (Usually videogames--he's 38). He's quite sharp, but can't stay organized to save his life. He didn't even keep track of who paid him in his business!! Part of it is a reluctance to do the minutiae, and part of it is his ADHD.

-- Edited on 8/2/12 6:24 PM --

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 6:43 PM

Quote:
Usually videogames

Boy can I relate to that.

------
Mary

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 6:47 PM

I don't think you have to hit every criteria on the list to be diagnosed WITH ADD or ADHD. It can be a mix of different things. I know my brain works differently that a lot of people that I use to work with. It didn't mean I didn't do as good a job as they did it just means I got there by a different route.

It took me a lot of years to understand that different has nothing to do with intelligence. Once I got that, life smothed out a bunch.

------
Ada

Re Becca
starstarstar
Re Becca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/2/12 7:15 PM

I was diagnosed with it years ago, and with the proper medication I have become successful in one of those deadly dull fields.

It show up more in my seeing in that I tend to move too quickly from one project to another, and often don't finish things that frustrate me. Its resulted in a lot of UFO's.

Thinking differently is a good description. I tend to look at things more like Picaso than Rembrandt, so I see a problem from more angles than many people.
I have found that I work best when I have simple, short term distractions available. I have a very long process job and I almost can't do it without a window to look out of or some music to listen to. I need something to provide me with short, easy distractions that are completely different from what I am doing.

dh is happy that since I started medication I quit leaving half empty glasses and soda cans all over the house.

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/2/12 7:17 PM

Have you thought that you might have a food allergy? Marymary hit the nail on the head asking about your diet. My son had ADHD when he was in first grade and I linked it to BHA/BHT in packaging, which is now in the spotlight and my son's over 30. My thinking too is that as our bodies get older, we're not able to process the cr** that we used to process, so a good investigation of your dietary habits might be in order.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 7:52 PM

As for treatment, I'd avoid medication if possible. I know that devout adherence to a daily exercise schedule makes a huge difference to most ADHD people. My husband takes a 15 minute walk twice a day (~1 mile each), and then 1/2 hr walk at lunch (~2 miles)....and it drives him absolutely bonkers when he misses it.

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 8:14 AM

My son wasn't diagnosed until he was 17. Not hyperactive and very much able to hyperfocus. After reading "Driven to Distraction", we've come to the conclusion that my husband (58) also has it. He's not flakey, gets things done, keeps deadlines and schedules, and has been a very successful business man (office managing partner of a big 4 CPA firm). He has never taken any medication for it and in his own way has developed his own coping skills. I still worry about my son though. He's now 26 and chooses not to take the Adderall any longer. He's doing well at his job, but still has no organizing skills and forgets things. One of the reasons we had him evaluated in the first place was because he had 4 car accidents in 10 months, mostly rear ending people. That's what still concerns me.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 9:03 AM

I would recommend A New View of ADHD by Eric Jensen for a good read on the subject.
Jensen proposes that we would not be here today if it weren't for the advantages that ADHD gave hunters a few thousand years ago. You needed to act before you thought if you wanted to eat! You needed to move quickly if you were being attacked and you couldn't take the time to think about it. Organization was not a primary need for humans. Now out sedate society prizes organization.
One other problem is our society creates distracted people with all it fast pace technology and media. We see that in the brain scans of children and adults. I can tell you that today's students have very different wiring from the students I taught even 10 years ago.
When you add that to the genetic predisposition you will have a variety of symptoms. MY children and grandchildren are all diagnosed (as are D in law and S in law) so you can bet school is a tough place for them. My daughter and I are both teachers and we sort of specialize in working with the ADHD students because we understand them. My 3 siblings and I have a variety of symptoms and we know we got it from our dad!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> ADD

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Burda 8860

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
New Look 6144

photo
by: Mazzygirl

Review
Couch Caddy

Couch Caddy

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.