SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Am I the only one who got the Singer on HSN today? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Am I the only one who got the Singer on HSN today?
ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 3:54 PM

I decided to bite after seeing the machines. It has 90% of the features I want at the price I can afford with the easy payments. It's going to be put through the ringer though. I've been sewing a lot lately and it's going to used hard. Especially in the first few weeks so I can see if it's worth keeping. I really need/want a computerized machine and I think this will do for me if it works well. At least trying it won't cost much, just the return postage if I don't like it. Anyone else take a chance on the Singer?
Mary

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WI USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/2/12 4:28 PM

You're not the only one--over 3250 have been sold! I didn't buy one as I have the Superb and the L-500 but I think you're getting a great deal! It's got great features and so many accessories! I love the elongation and mirror imagining! And all the other features which run the same on this machine as on my Superb.

And if you don't like it, returns are super easy.

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 5:13 PM

See this thread - lots about Singer machines on HSN! And congrats - I hope you love your new sewing machine! :)

HSN and machines...

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WI USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 8/2/12 8:22 PM

ahrizel, one thing that Singer has slipped on is not putting in the manuals how the bobbin thread should lay across the bobbin after you you pull it up with the needle thread. I swear when I read negative reviews about poor tension or bird nesting it's because the person didn't know this. If the bobbin thread is not laying across the bobbin your stitches will appear as if you have tension problems when in fact you don't. So this is just a heads up in case you're not familiar with top drop in bobbins. Your bobbin thread should look like this:

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
WA USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 8/2/12 8:28 PM

You are not alone. I, too, bought the TSV. I thought is was a great value for the features. I have the Brother 420 and love it, but want/need another machine. I do a lot of sewing and like having two machines working. I am hoping this will fit the bill. We can compare notes. By the way, I have returned a machine I bought on HSN before with no problems.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

txcwgrlmom
txcwgrlmom
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 7/15/12
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 3:13 AM

I debated on and off all day because I had just added a serger to my sewing area. Then they had the singer 160 on sale. i got it, so i can set that machine up for baby quilts. I have a singer quantum 9940 and would like something along the l- 500 later. Enjoy your new machine.

krazyknit
krazyknit  Friend of PR
Beginner
TX USA
Member since 4/30/12
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 9:39 AM

I too bought the Singer 160. I held out and was "good" until I saw that one. The vintage look got to me and I ordered. Its my birthday tomorrow and my husband kept encouraging me so he could make it my gift. That's fine with me. Besides I need it to add to my sewing room. Now I can't wait to get it!

------
Sylvia

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 11:53 AM

Oh good to know that we can look forward to reviews on these machines - post in the threads and then review. We need more on the machines most of us afford and use!

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 8/3/12 11:57 AM

I like the way Janome has printed this on the bobbin see-thru top itself - I use it every time! :)

For a great tutorial on machine cleaning in the bobbin area (covers both horizontal and vertical bobbin maintenance) see this great blog post I just found:

Adventures in Machine Maintenance

This info is cross-brand useful! Such nice pictures.

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

krazyknit
krazyknit  Friend of PR
Beginner
TX USA
Member since 4/30/12
Send Message

Date: 8/3/12 12:37 PM

Muffet, thank you for the blog on maintenance. I just added it to favorites.

------
Sylvia

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Am I the only one who got the Singer on HSN today?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Other http://www.tinyhappy.typ

photo
by: maria 6705

Review
You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Buy Now
McCall's 6382

photo
by: Eme

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.