Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Contest Discussions > MINI WARDROBE! Coming Soon! ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
MINI WARDROBE! Coming Soon!
To a Sewing Machine Near You!
Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
NV USA
Member since 6/23/06
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 8/2/12 7:58 PM

Hello PR-ers, I'm SOOOO HAPPY to announce the upcoming Mini Wardrobe Contest and best of all (for me) that I will be your contest moderator!

I don't have the official rules yet but I can almost guarantee that it will be 4 (or more) garments, an individual review for each garment will be required as well as a composite review showing all garments, and a storyboard (my favorite part - if you need any help on this please ask!) will be required.

Contest runs from Sept. 1st to Sept. 30th. Let the planning/storyboards/fun begin!

Just to get your creativity flowing, here are the rules from a previous contest - please note this year may or may not be the same:
Mini-Wardrobe Contest - Expand Your Wardrobe

This is a contest to create a 5-piece wardrobe in 4 weeks. Four of these pieces must be sewn during the contest period. The 5th piece should be something that you already own. It can be a neutral item or a hard-to-match item that needs help getting incorporated into your daily wear.

These 5 items must combine to make a minimum of 6 different outfits.

Example: 2 bottoms & 3 tops. Each top matches both bottoms. This give 6 outfits.
Example: 2 bottoms, 2 tops, & a topper (eg, a shrug). Each top matches both bottoms, & the topper goes with all. This gives 8 outfits.
Extreme example for someone who likes layering: short sleeve tunic dress, skinny pants, turtleneck, shrug, long skirt. Potentially 13 outfits.

Storyboard: It is suggested that each entrant make a storyboard, which is a plan showing the planned garments and the minimum quantity of outfits. This will help the entrants visualize the garments together, and to complete the mini-wardrobe in the contest period. The storyboard can be drawn and posted in a work in progress (WIP) review that can be updated during the contest.

The actual entry review will be a "composite review" for the wardrobe itself. The composite review should have links to the individual reviews of each item. (If all items are from one wardrobe pattern, the one review will suffice.)

This wardrobe/ensemble may be created for men, women, or children. Doll clothing is not admissible. Accessories, while they may be made and showcased with the wardrobe, are not a part of this contest. An accessory that is not part of the official wardrobe will not count as one of the 5 items.

I look forward to seeing everything and I may be sewing along with you all.

Signed,
Head Cheerleader Pinkytoo
-- Edited on 8/2/12 7:59 PM --

------
Sewing is my therapy!

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/9/05

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/2/12 8:30 PM

How exciting!

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Janome DC2101, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 11/23/10

Date: 8/2/12 8:33 PM

I'm in!! What's a storyboard for this purpose?

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06

In reply to Pinkytoo <<

Date: 8/2/12 9:57 PM

Any idea of when you will get the official rules yet? For me, at least, this contest takes more planning and fabric collection

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07

In reply to Pinkytoo <<

Date: 8/2/12 10:44 PM

Thanks for opening the contest discussion thread so early!

September will be the worst months of all this year to get any sewing done but I would give it a try if I could muslin patterns in August - I guess that this will be in line with the contest rules? No cutting into the good fabric before Sep 1st but pretreting fabric and test-driving patterns is okay.

I would like to second jannw: planning takes a lot of time (and so does making the storyboard) so I hope for an early release of this year's rule and hope they are doable. I know that's something that has been exhaustively discussed and understand the reasons behind but would still wish that wardrobe contests go 2 months ...
-- Edited on 8/2/12 11:04 PM --

------
Happy Sewing!

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06

In reply to GBK <<

Date: 8/2/12 11:35 PM

Quote:
would still wish that wardrobe contests go 2 months ...

I'm with you there...and I also wish that it could be expanded...four items plus a topper is limiting, which I suppose, is the point of the contest. I'd like at least 6 plus a topper. That way you could do 2 bottoms, 4 tops or 3 & 3 whatever...

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/20/10

Date: 8/3/12 0:09 AM

What's this? Our beloved Pinkytoo is managing again? I may need to pull my act together for this one....last year was SO much fun AND so totally inspirational for me. It really changed my way of planning out my sewing projects in a very positive way

Hmmmmm......must try to pull this off.....September....hmmmmm.....

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 8/3/12 0:38 AM

I'd love to do a whole SWAP with 11 items (though a real SWAP is 21 items, as far as I recall) - to get so many outfits with a limited number of garments is so appealling! - but suffer from time constraints. The mini wardrobe could be a nice start though.

I really hope that to compensate for the short duration, we get the rules early and that they have no challenging twists ...
-- Edited on 8/3/12 0:39 AM --

------
Happy Sewing!

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06

In reply to GBK <<

Date: 8/3/12 1:24 AM

I think the original SWAP was the 11 pieces, then you added to that...I like that and it does make dressing easier...This 5 piece is a good start and I do plan to add to it...I have started planning last week because I like the wardrobe plans...Now to go through the stash.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 8/3/12 1:36 AM

Agree, wardrobe planning is a lot of fun! I have started planning a SWAP for fall 3 weeks ago but then found some awesome fabrics which all want to be included - and throw off the previous concept!
Am glad that (at least in the past) we are (were) allowed to change plans during the contest ...

------
Happy Sewing!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> MINI WARDROBE! Coming Soon!

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

McCall's 5972
photo
Review by 3kids1036 on 4/26/11
Read Review

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern
SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King
NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Party Purse
You Sew Girl Party Purse

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Cake Patterns Pavlova Top Digital Pattern (35-50)
Cake Patterns Pavlova Top Digital Pattern (35-50)

Details
Price: $9.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 8120 MISSES' BLOUSE
photo
Review by sarahinlaf... on 11/15/09
Read Review

McCalls 6713 Pattern ( Size 18W-20W-22W-24W )
McCalls 6713 Pattern ( Size 18W-20W-22W-24W )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1263 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
Vogue 1263 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $35.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN