Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Creative Sewing > S2282 - leather and lace plans ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
S2282 - leather and lace plans
blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 4/16/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/2/12 8:16 PM

I have in my stash some beautiful medium yellow lace fabric, some ecru linen blend fabric, and one skin of light tan lambskin leather. I have been wanting to use those three pieces of fabric to make a dress. My next project is to sew S2282 in these fabrics, but I can't decide what would be the best combination.

I plan to do the cap sleeve version with the peplum. The cap sleeves and peplum will be out of the leather. However, I am debating between two different possibilities for the rest of the dress.

Possibility 1: Do the side fronts and upper back in the lace with the rest of the dress in the linen (except of course for the leather peplum and leather cap sleeves)

OR

Possibility 2:
Do the front panel (this includes the front skirt and upper front bodice) in the lace and the rest of the dress in the linen (except of course for the leather peplum and leather cap sleeves)

I have been losing sleep over this. I wouldn't tell anyone other than fellow seamstresses that, but I know you understand.

I am thinking that the 1st choice might be more work appropriate. If I felt the lace was too dressy, I could put a jacket over the dress and the lace would be covered, but I don't know that I would ever wear it anywhere other than church. So, that makes me think just go with the second possibility and really feature the lace.

What do you think?

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/3/12 3:28 AM

Can you post a picture of your fabrics? Otherwise it's hard to imagine.

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 4/16/08

In reply to arianamaniacs <<

Date: 8/3/12 10:53 AM

Here is a pic. The leather is the darker tan on the left. The more I look at it, I am wondering if it would be better to leave off the lace totally.

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04

Date: 8/4/12 12:49 PM

I think your idea with the lace upper is ok, but you are already working with three distinct colors. Do you have a lace that incorporates one of the other two colors? otherwise it might look too patchworky. If not, a linen dress with leather sleeves and peplum will look classy. Oh another idea. Use the edge of the lace just to peek out of the bottom of the hems on the sleeve and skirt, about a half inch. Ive seen that on some rtw and it looked sharp.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

In reply to blessedtosew <<

Date: 8/4/12 4:37 PM

I think I would use the leather for the peplum part then also maybe bind the neck or sleeves off with it. Just because you could leave it raw edged there, on all of that, and if all did not work out, you could also put a strip like a belt onto the leather peplum part and wear it separate over something else later, and still not waste the leather either. And also even still cut the peplum out of like fabric later if you wished.

You could cover all the linen with that lace for all the rest of the dress, or maybe you could just cut parts of the lace out, and even applique it to parts of the linen dress. I think the lace might even look nice covering the entire center front portion of the front bodice and caught into the princess seaming there, and then more random appliqued in a longish shape down the center front of the dress going down below the waist area, and even down a lot of the front of the skirt, almost even to hem possibly?

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

Date: 8/4/12 5:05 PM

Have you done a sketch to see how all these fabrics would look in the various combinations? I do like your fabrics together, but I'm having a bit of difficulty imagining this particular pattern done in colorblocking--in particular, I'm afraid that the leather peplum might end up looking sort of like an apron. I did do an image search for "contrast peplum" to see if I could find any real life examples, and I did come across this. I think I might be more inclined to use the beautiful suede as more of an accent--seam piping, perhaps, or like this beautiful tweed skirt. What I do like about both of those examples is how the accent color is used on the reverse of the peplum, so you see flashes of it in the folds.

Here are a few more interesting examples:
Peplum dress w/contrast waistband and piping

Colorblocked peplum dress

Lace peplum top with contrast & piping

Another interesting use of colorblocking

Bold use of contrast trim

Peplum dress with mesh panels

(One thing I'm seeing is that these dresses really seem to stick to *two* fabrics, and they mostly seem to be the same fabric in different colors. I think some experimentation is in order!)

-- Edited on 8/4/12 5:06 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

Date: 8/4/12 5:17 PM

Ok, a couple more examples from me!

I think something like this could look quite classy, done in quality fabrics and a well-fitted pattern. I like the open lace at the shoulders and bottom of the skirt (as a previous poster suggested), along with the hint of leather trim (obviously, she's wearing a belt, but you could incorporate it in a similar spare fashion). You don't want an allover lace dress; you'd use your solid linen where the lace is over a lining.

This is a similar example, where the lace is done in the top of the bodice and the sleeves, as well as the upper back, like you were planning. I think your instincts here were spot on--it looks very nice!

In both of those examples, the peplums are also lace, which I think adds some nice continuity to the look--but since you're working with contrast fabrics, you might prefer to do something like this.

Have fun! Lots of possibilities here!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to blessedtosew <<

Date: 8/4/12 6:12 PM

Okay, here's what I would do: At the bottom of the princess dart/seam, on the pattern, I would draw a horizontal line, going toward the side seam and make that one piece with a seam allowance for the horizontal line. That would make the side front be separate from the front. Make this piece of leather. The rest of the dress, besides the peplum and the collar, would be in the linen. And the peplum and the collar in lace. Why am I going against the peplum in leather? Because leather is bulky and you might not get the drape you want. Leather, especially because it's a darker color, following down a princess line would make you look slimmer, curve your body more and I believe give you the look you want.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 4/16/08

Date: 8/7/12 11:17 AM

Thanks so much for all your help. I ended up doing the peplum and sleeves from the leather and I used an ecru lace on the side front panels. I will do review as soon as I wear it.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

Date: 8/7/12 2:28 PM

Can't wait to see it! You whipped that together fast!!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> S2282 - leather and lace plans

Merchants on PR
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Kwik Sew 3199
photo
Review by Jali on 6/24/11
Read Review

McCalls 6599 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
McCalls 6599 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3246 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3246 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 8805 Misses Dress
photo
Review by DKG on 1/7/13
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Charlotte Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Charlotte Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Coney Island Tankini Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Coney Island Tankini Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern
Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Couch Caddy
Couch Caddy

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN