SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > rebounder/mini-trampoline? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
rebounder/mini-trampoline?
my physical therapist recommends that I buy one
Maia
Maia  Friend of PR
Beginner
New Hampshire USA
Member since 2/24/04
Send Message

Date: 8/4/12 9:16 AM

As part of my recovery from a nerve injury that has affected the lymphs, my PT has told me to buy a rebounder. She did not have a specific brand that would be best.

There are so many brands out there. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks,

Maia

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

Date: 8/4/12 1:02 PM

A friend of mine likes the Needak rebounders because they're totally made in the USA, and made very well, and have very good customer support.

Maia
Maia  Friend of PR
Beginner
New Hampshire USA
Member since 2/24/04
Send Message

Date: 8/5/12 6:56 AM

Those look perfect, particularly as they are made in the US. I will double-check with my PT tomorrow, and then place an order.

Thank you very, very much.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/5/12 11:49 AM

lmk how it works for you. I have lymphedema following cancer surgery and it was also suggested to me.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/5/12 12:50 PM

I bought an inexpensive one from sears and use it regularly. i also have lymph-edema ( in my legs). I find that using the re bounder helps...the bottoms of my feet feel less over padded by the end of a session. At first I could only go for a few minutes..now I do about an hour.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

In reply to sarah in nyc <<

Date: 8/5/12 1:11 PM

Sarah, do you just bounce up and down or do you dance or stretch or anything on your rebounder?

I see books and at least one DVD on Amazon and wondered.

I ordered a used rebouder yesterday, but an HOUR? wow

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

Maia
Maia  Friend of PR
Beginner
New Hampshire USA
Member since 2/24/04
Send Message

Date: 8/5/12 6:56 PM

So nice to read eveyone's thought, thank you.

The PT has also put me on an anti-inflammation diet (as described in the book "Syndrome X") and has me "juicing", taking fish oil tablets, and elevating my legs all the time.

An hour -- wow! It sounds like the rebounder might be fun!

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to Annie- oh <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/5/12 7:35 PM

I run in place on my re-bounder..sometimes I do stuff with my arms too if I remember.

An hour used to seem like a crazy long time to do it when the re bounder was new..but my kids got Netflix...so doing say an episode and a half of law and order or most of a documentary makes it seem like not such a long time. I will tell you though each time I get to the 20 minute mark in my work out I want to die. If I can get to 30 minutes or so, I'm good for at least 50 minutes and sometimes as long as 75 minutes. I don't know if I'm any thinner, but my fat is more organized.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Maia <<

Date: 8/5/12 9:14 PM

I'm sorry I didn't think to post this as soon as I saw your thread.

Check out this video to get an idea of what Kinesio tape is.
SpiderTech Precut Lymphatic Application of Kinesio Technology

Kinesio tape works! The application is different based on what it is used for; edema, strains, swelling, etc. The video is just one example of how to use and how to apply. The SpiderTech precuts are my favorite of the precuts but most often I cut my own applications from the wider tape using the titanium coated scissors I bought on sale at JoAnn's.

You can learn a lot about Kinesio technology by watching application videos like this one.
SpiderTech Inc.

I went with a friend to see how her PT applied it to her knee and was sold. There aren't many Kinesio certified practicioners in the area and none of them are close. I ordered the book that they use for the certification classes and sell to PTs. It is a Kinesio book, not a SpiderTech book.

Maia, and others, please look over some of the available information online on the Kinesio technology and then discuss it with your PT. If it is not something that your PT can try with you it is worth finding someone for just a visit or two to try the technology. And it would need to be someone that has been trained. How it goes on, stretch, no stretch, how much stretch, spacing is all determined by the problem being treated.

I've found a physical therapy clinic that will let me use their therapy pool while we are on vacation. I am very excited that they have certified Kinesio folks on staff. I'll be paying them a visit for some fine tuning on some old things and to see what they can do for me on some new things including residual lymphatic swelling from an allergic reaction. And, you had better believe that I'll be paying them a visit to be retaped before the long trip home.

Hubbie is also excited as he benefits a lot from my amateur practice. The Kinesio taping was his only relief after catching his ribs on the rafters when he came through the ceiling. Dual purpose, immobilizing his ribs and then later removing fluid from swelling.

I have extremely sensitive skin, hubbie too, it has yet to bother either one of us. My applications are generally good for five days including 2 or 3 pool visits and daily showers.

I get excited about this stuff, can you tell? It is a fantastic non-invasive, comfortable and effective tool to add to your 'get the best you can be' arsenal.

So when you see the Olympic athletes using this, don't think it is only for them and their type of application. It's for all of us. And, it has been life changing for me.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 8/5/12 9:26 PM

I've used a rebounder since 1982. It is the only type of exercise that I consistently come back to. It is fun! My first one cost $200, was made by Vital Corp and after about 10 years, the webbing gave out. The company was out of business and I couldn't find replacement webbing, so the frame got recycled (big mistake, I should have looked harder). So I limped along using cheap versions. In the late 90's, after breaking two cheep-cheep rebounders within 6 months. I jumped off the rebounder and straight onto the internet where I spent $250 before breakfast on a folding rebounder by ReboundAir. I have never regretted it. I'm still using it, and have not had to replace the top yet.
I used to have a cassette tape with two aerobic routines designed for rebounding but it and its copies bit the dust years ago. I haven't liked any that I've listened to since, but I don't see why you couldn't adapt a routine designed for walking or jogging with arm movements. I just go with watching Netflix now.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 2
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 8
New Projects started in 2014: 8
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 11.25
bought in 2014: 38.75

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> rebounder/mini-trampoline?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

McCall's 3393

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
McCall's 6518

photo
by: turnerkati...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.