SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fabrics in Hawaii, Kaimuki Dry Goods, Honolulu, HI ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabrics in Hawaii, Kaimuki Dry Goods, Honolulu, HI
Fabrics to watch for - Japanese cottons - others???
a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/5/12 11:43 PM

Many of the Japanese cottons I see online are expensive and narrow so I thought I should check out Kaimuki Dry Goods.

I know there is a FabricMart but is it worth using time during our first trip to Hawaii?

Has anyone been to Kaimuki?

Any other suggestions for fabric shops that may have something unique or that may have a nice selection of quality fabric. Hand woven or locally dyed or an opportunity for seeing the better quality fabrics that I can only purchase online.

Anyone have any particular Japanese cotton brands that you've had good experience with?

And, totally off topic, is it reasonable to think that I could find a similar variety of everyday toiletries as what I might find at my local Walgreens? Trying to keep the luggage light.

-- Edited on 8/5/12 11:43 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 8/6/12 0:08 AM

Dunno about the first part...but for the latter part, there are Walgreens in HI.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 0:46 AM

Expect to pay more since it's a relatively remote island; unless things are local, your cost will include transporting products from far away.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

HawaiianEi
HawaiianEi  Friend of PR
Member since 9/16/06
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 5:11 AM

I live in Waikiki. Honolulu is a major city (350,000) on a major island (850,000). We have everything a major city has. All major stores have a presence here. We do, however, suffer from a lack of fabric store. Kaimuki Dry Goods is a Pearl. Fabric selections are different than most mainland stores. Heavy Asian influence. Fabric Mart is great for Aloha wear, both cotton and polys. We also have several other quilt shops, Calico Cat and Kuni Island Fabrics to name just two. Prices are a bit higher than mainland shops. "Living in Paradise" Tax. But again, this is a major city, if you want to pay $12 for a beer you can, if you want to pay $3, you can. Don't know when you're coming, but if you want a fabric guide, and I'm here, I'll be happy to be your guide.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 9:46 AM

Thanks all.
-- Edited on 5/4/14 11:31 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 9:53 AM

In case you didn't already know, buy your liquor at Costco when you arrive.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

krazyknit
krazyknit  Friend of PR
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 4/30/12
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 10:56 AM

Thanks to all of you for this fabric shopping info. I'm writing it down as I'll be there in Feb. What about the Flea Market at the stadium on Saturdays?

------
Sylvia

Nonette
star
Nonette
Advanced
Member since 3/11/09
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 1:53 PM

Quote: a7yrstitch
Thrillseeker, a7yrstitch, goes on Hawaiian adventure looking forward to checking out local Walgreens and Costco.

I don't know where you willl be staying, but there are 4 Costco warehouses in the island of Oahu. And for some interesting FYI - the Iwilei store which is in Honolulu and closest to Waikiki is the busiest Costco in the world. Yes, that is right. not just Hawaii, but in the world (according to Seattle Times 2010). I've been there only a few times (inevitably) and it is super crowded. it is difficult to find parking, crowded aisles, and long checkout lines. You may want to check out the other stores but be prepared to drive - they are spread apart across the island.

Also, not very many Walgreens locations either. But we have several Longs Drugs and Walmarts too. I really do not like shopping and care much about Walmart, but there is a big one in Waikiki and a Sam's Club too.

Enjoy your stay in paradise!

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 3:35 PM

I've found some great deals on fabric at Fabric Mart in Honolulu when I've visited there. In addition to Aloha wear type fabrics, there is a decent selection of quilting cottons and some rayon and other fabric types. I LOVE the cotton dobby, which I've never seen on the mainland. There are literally thousands of bolts and rolls of fabric. I think it's worth a look.

It's near the convention center in downtown Honolulu. It's about 2-3 miles from the Waikiki Hotels-on-the-beach area. I walked it on one visit when I did not have a car, but I wouldn't call it easy walking distance. Honolulu has a great bus system, but on one of my visits, there was a bus strike -- which is probably why I was walking; otherwise I'd have figured out how to get there on the bus. I enjoyed the walk, though.

CMC

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 8/6/12 5:33 PM

Thanks ladies for all the great information coming in.
-- Edited on 5/4/14 11:32 AM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fabrics in Hawaii, Kaimuki Dry Goods, Honolulu, HI

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2006-25

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.