SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Word 2010 ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Word 2010
stupid tool!!
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 0:46 AM

I've been working for several days on a Word document and am wondering if other people have had the weird experiences I keep having with this crazy tool, especially those of you who use it to write in languages other than English.

--It keeps "forgetting" to use my autoformat settings -- I keep having to reset them.

-- I use the built-in thesaurus to look up synonyms quickly, but it keeps "forgetting" what language I'm writing in (keeps trying to look up my French words in an English thesaurus, and announces there's no such word... aack. No point resetting it, it just switches back about 90% of the time).

It does a lot of things like this -- I've been fighting with this all day, desperately trying to finish writing this thing, but the erratic tools have lost me at least a couple of hours today. NO idea why this keeps happening. I have the language set to French, so it shouldn't keep reverting to English tools -- BUT IT DOES.

Am I the only one it hates, or are there others out there about ready to toss their Microsoft Word for this same reason? The previous version I had was far less slick (way fewer gadgets), but at least the settings stayed put 95% of the time.

OK, end of rant.

-- Edited on 8/6/12 0:47 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
NETHERLANDS
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 1:23 AM

Yes I recognise the issues. I have to switch between Dutch and English at work as we use both languages and it switches more often than I do Also it keeps insisting that I use the English settings for all kinds of English versions but UK or US (the two dictionaries we use depending on who we talk to). The automatic language detector is everything but automatic I find.
Usually it seems to be better when I highlight everything and then choose language again. Though it is no guarantee it is an improvement.

My added bonus is that my keyboard switches from the US settings to the Dutch keyboard (latter is standard) - We use the US keyboards though and it annoys me. And yes this too is a microsoft bug, but in windows 7 not word.

Generally word 2010 takes some getting used to and is in the end the better program, but the learning curve is steep.

Gilraen

------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Gilraen Surion <<

Date: 8/6/12 1:38 AM

Quote:
Usually it seems to be better when I highlight everything and then choose language again. Though it is no guarantee it is an improvement.

Thanks, I'll try this.
Quote:
Generally word 2010 takes some getting used to and is in the end the better program, but the learning curve is steep.

The things that work properly are better, yes. There have been a lot of improvements. But settings that don't stay set for even five or ten minutes... I don't understand why they thought this product was ready to sell before they'd worked out these bugs. I suppose it's because they assume English is "the" language, and the others are secondary.

------

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 2:03 AM

Quote:

Thanks again -- this really helps. Now I just hope it lasts (it may last longer than I do -- it's 2 a.m. here)!

------

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 8/6/12 2:04 AM

You have my deepest sympathy, i.e. re: the language settings: within the same document and without any reason, I find in my English documents all of a sudden not only German language settings but also Spanish, Finnish, and Japanese -- no idea how they came into the document as I did not copy&paste from another document!

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any resolution. I try to look at the ''bright'' side though: Word 2010 is not half as terrible as PowerPoint 2010! PP 2010 only on a rare and random occasion basis does not accept all changes made to the master (including language changes ...) - that's driving me much more crazy than the Word 2010 bugs, although I need PowerPoint less often.

------
Happy Sewing!

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/6/12 10:31 AM

I curse Bill Gates and his infernal products daily, so you have my deepest sympathy.

I only work in English, but Word was forever auto-setting itself to French until I figured out how to turn off the auto language detector and set it permanently to English.

I would love to toss out Microsoft but am required to use it for work. And as far as I know they've driven all the other office software companies out of business (I miss Lotus 1-2-3...)

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
NETHERLANDS
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 8/6/12 12:13 PM

Quote: TessKwiltz
And as far as I know they've driven all the other office software companies out of business (I miss Lotus 1-2-3...)

Not quite, there is still iworks, which I don't use as we do not have a license. On my minilaptop I use open office. It is different but I prefer it. There are compatibility issues with word, but that too is getting better and better. Unfortunately my work, like yours, comes with MS office :-(

Gilraen

------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 1:01 PM

Thanks for all the moral support and interesting feedback, everyone! I got my paper done in the nick of time (working all night), but Gilraen, I'm not sure I would have even made it in the nick of time if I hadn't followed your advice!!! THANK YOU! Selecting everything and then setting the language worked much better -- I think it only reset itself once or twice after that. ( ) The weird thing is that when I went to reset the language settings, they weren't set to anything, but I know I HAD set them. Not sure who they tested this stuff out on, but clearly not someone who uses the language tools.

...I might try LibreOffice again. I used that on my old computer when my previous version of Word began to get a bit unstable.
I can't even remember if it has language tools, but in some ways NONE would be better than moody ones.

------

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 1:04 PM

yes. I skipped the 2010 and went straight to the Mac Word 2011. It seems to be okay. I'm still using 2007 on my PC though (with all the updates)

maryl
star
maryl
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 6/24/05
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 5:54 PM

I need to use Word as well for the books I write, and have found that if I save it as Word 1997-2004 rather than the 2011 version that it is, I have fewer problems. But I have no idea why! Also, I'm on a Mac which may make a difference.

Good luck to you. Issues like this are soooooooooo frustrating.

Mary
http://teachloveofreading.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Word 2010

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Butterick 5709

photo
by: dignsew

Review
Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.