SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > How long does it take you to press out fabric? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How long does it take you to press out fabric?
Prep work
LiinSd
LiinSd
Member since 6/12/12
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 6:16 PM

Okay, not that I'm lazy, but I find it irksome that it takes me so long to press out fabric before I layout for cutting. Am I overly cautious to have every last wrinkle out? I prewash my fabric when I purchase to save me time, but I still need to iron when it's been stored a while to when I use that fabric for sewing.

How long does it take you to prep (meaning just ironing)? Maybe someone just needs to save me from myself.

Is there a better way to do this?

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 8/6/12 6:27 PM

About 45 minutes, minus the dry time, since I get it pretty wet to iron it, and then the cool down time if I don't: so give or take an hour or so.

I also prep mine up with the next few projects, so I do it at night or when I can, then I roll it. I loosely accordion fold it, then roll from one of the short ends. I don't put wrong sides together or fold in half until I am ready to cut. Then I lay out my pieces and to get the crease on the fold, I rough cut around that piece, iron it well, then cut out the final piece.

Nope, I'm not anal about it at all.

Q Valley Mary
star
Q Valley Mary  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 7/14/08
Send Message

In reply to LiinSd <<

Date: 8/7/12 10:23 AM

I'm not overly fussy about this part of the process (OK, maybe even not as careful as I ought to be.) If the fabric just has that fluffy from the dryer look, I assume it won't affect how the pattern lies on the fabric, and I barely press at all. I'll take care of getting it really smooth as I press seams etc. during construction. If there are creases that will affect getting an accurate cut, then I do what I gotta do.
I have also taken to sewing the cut ends of the fabric together with a wide zigzag stitch before I prewash, making one big loop of fabric. I think I actually read that tip somewhere on this website a long time ago. That cuts down on the wrinkling during wash and dry, and also controlls fraying on those cut ends. When I cut the big loop open, the little contrasting threads (usually white) remind me that I have prewashed this piece, and I seldom need to pick them out unless I'm really cutting every bit of the yardage right down to those very ends.
-- Edited on 8/7/12 10:23 AM --

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 10:29 AM

I do press the fabric before I cut into it, otherwise my garment can grow to a larger size (especially if it's something like linen or rayon).

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 10:46 AM

As long as it takes to get the wrinkles out. (As much as I dislike this part, I hate the cutting out process even more. But all this prep work helps with perfecting the final product so it's best to just grumble through.)

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Dianne22
star
Dianne22  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 3/18/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/7/12 3:46 PM

I press pretty well, but just enough to get the majority of the wrinkles out. Time depends on the type and quantity of fabric involved, but it's isn't really a quick processs. If there are very small, subtle wrinkles left that I know won't affect the cut I won't sweat over them until I'm ready to construct the garment--then I press WELL, CONSTANTLY, AND EVERY STEP OF THE WAY :rolleyes:. I'm a fanatic about pressing as I go as well as pressing the finished piece. If your fabric has been sitting awhile after you have washed it, you might try just rinsing it and putting it in the dryer again (if it was originally washable and dryable) to remove most of the wrinkles before you press it. That will lessen your work and time a bit.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 4:33 PM

It takes me about half an hour to iron 4 yards of 60" wide linen, so that's sort of my baseline.

I have it down to a system now, and I guess I don't really mind it... but there are factors that I don't love. The pre-iron prepwork of the room, for one: we have dogs, so I have to make sure the floor around the ironing board has been well vacuumed so the fabric doesn't get furry; and dealing with quantities of fabric is my very least favorite part of sewing--wrestling with the yardage over the ironing board; wishing I had a wider surface to work with, so I didn't have to go back and re-iron the half of the yardage that goes over the narrow end of the board, etc.

I need to do 2 yards of twill and 4 yards of linen for a couple current projects, and I'm busy finding lots of other things to do today instead! LOL

ETA: As for re-doing pre-washed fabric... I try to keep as much as possible on bolts, so it's often not necessary to re-iron stash that's been in storage, so that's nice. But if there is something that's especially crumpled or whatnot, I'll just steam it in the dryer with a couple of hot towels. If I am *supremely* lucky, I won't have to iron it at all afterward, but I don't get that lucky that often! LOL

-- Edited on 8/7/12 4:35 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 5:38 PM

I do press my fabric before cutting, just like some of the other posters. One time, I decided it might be nice to have the gently rumpled look with a pair of pants, I washed and dried, but did not press. It is true, they grew a size, and became way too baggy. Since that fateful time, my rule of thumb is this: if it is for a skirt or pants, it must be pressed before sewing. Thereafter, it is okay to wear it rumpled if that is what I choose (kind of funny, because I usually press everything before I wear it unless I am camping or dog-training, often even then). If it is a top, it is not so critical, tops don't tend to grow as much as pants or skirts.
I understand not wanting to press, it does hold up the process. But, in the long run, it means a better end-product.
I am off now to press that piece of pink cotton knit which is waiting for me!

------
Michele Lommasson

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 6:04 PM

Whoa! I just thought of something. One of the skirts I'm about to make is from a nice polyester (if it were wool, it would be tropical weight). It will make a great travel skirt. I will prewash and dry this fabric, but unless it has some nasty creases, I am unlikely to press it. Polyester really doesn't need to even be prewashed, but I am always suspicious. I want it to relax, just in case it was stretched on to the bolt.

------
Michele Lommasson

JeanK

JeanK
Advanced
Member since 2/15/04
Send Message

In reply to Michele Lommasson <<

Date: 8/7/12 7:16 PM

I always prewash even if it's 100% polyester, which I rarely use (too hot and static-y). It may not have been treated with formaldahyde but it's been in storage with fabrics that have been.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> How long does it take you to press out fabric?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 2475

photo
by: wendlesue

Review
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 401 Pattern

Petite Plus 401 Pattern

Buy Now
No Pattern Used 05-2012

photo
by: maria 6705

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.