SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Cleaning clothes of construction workers? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cleaning clothes of construction workers?
general dirt and occasional fiberglass
Marilly
Marilly
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 7/9/06
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 2:51 AM

Hi All
Son is just starting his electricians apprenticeship and we're getting him some extra work only clothes. I'd like em to last, but haven't dealt with laundry at this dirt level before. My main concern is fiberglass, and yes I've got a separate bin for those so they don't touch anything else. He got into a bit of that crawling around under a house already.
If anyone has any tips, they'd be greatly appreciated.
Shel

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 3:02 AM

I'd want to keep fibreglass out of my machine if possible. Any chance of vacuuming it off before laundering? When we were renovating a house (years ago now) the Miele did a good job with general heavy construction dirt, but with hindsight I think I'd have tried to find a different way of removing the plaster/cement, as I'm sure this didn't improve the life of the machine.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/7/12 3:03 AM

Was separately from everyone else's clothes in warm water.

Back before we got married, I did DH's laundry a few times when he was on the road and came to visit (and needed them done). If they were really grimy/stinky I'd use non-chlorine bleach and vinegar in the rinse.

bellsew
star
bellsew  Friend of PR
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 10/14/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/7/12 4:02 AM

My DH is Union Electrician, has been for many years, I wash his clothes once a week on Sunday so he's all ready for the work week. He has a separate laundry hamper. I have always washed his work clothes separately. After I'm done with his 2 loads, I run a "rag wash", before our undies and other clothes go through. If he's been on a particularly dirty job, I have a muck bucket outside, I swish his clothes in oxyclean and sometimes just turn the hose on them to blow off the fiberglass and drywall. That's why it's a job I only will do once a week, he has enough work clothes to last one week, he's very fond of overalls which can sometimes go more than one wearing. The most annoying thing about electricians are the tiny pieces of wire that can get in the machine. I always clean pockets before washing and if I had a dollar for every wire nut I've saved, I would be so wealthy that I wouldn't have to do the wash:)
Best wishes for your son's apprenticeship :)

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Marilly <<

Date: 8/7/12 4:43 AM

In a large company, where you might have union workers and everyone wears their street clothes to work and then changes into more auto or heavy equipment mechanics jumpsuits, (and often marked with their own and company name on them) I think they actually do go in a dirty laundry bin, at the place of business often, not even worn home and an outside laundry service comes and picks them up, cleans them and returns them to there, just afterwards. And the company might even pay for it.

Advantages of that, is it keeps all that grease and solvent of off and out of, your home washing machine and off of all your other good clothes, in there.

Also in case some of that does not wash out, then you would not later heat it up, and have it catch on fire, in your own clothes dryer. I don't know what happens to fiberglass insulation when heated up, but solvent or grease in a hot dryer I believe is at least a bit flammable.

Maybe just get him, at least his own separate and even old and used washing machine, just for his stuff. And don't let it near your stuff, or your bed sheets and toweling. Or make him go to some coin operated laundrymatt even. I have had attics filled with fiberglass insulation and climbed all around them, and got it into my skin, it's pretty nasty stuff. I think the last thing I would want to do, is mix it up in with all my other laundry actually.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 8/7/12 10:55 AM

Depends on the union/company.

DH worked for TVA until he got sick, and they didn't furnish a thing regardless of when he worked as a permanent or not.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 2:53 PM

Simple Green - as is, concentrate - cup in the laundry with those clothes. The stuff is one of my very favs for many tasks. Doesn't solve fiber glass issues - I am so sorry he has to come home with fiber glass bits.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 8/4/06
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 3:27 PM

My Dh is a union electrician. I have used oxyclean, lestoil, simple green, and OdoBan at different times. I will use the superwash and often give them an extra rinse if they have been particularly soiled. If they are really bad, run the washer empty for a cycle.

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/7/12 4:40 PM

My dad recently retired from his job as a heavy machinery mechanic. He would come home with his jeans covered in grease. My mother used to soak his jeans in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water and detergent for 24 hours, then plunge them with this. Don't laugh, it really works! She would then rinse them and wash them with the regular laundry.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 8:08 PM

I never use my home machine. I took to laundry and used their machines!

------
JanieV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Cleaning clothes of construction workers?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

New Look 6571

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
SewBaby Easy Appliqued Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Easy Appliqued Bibs Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

More Info
Vogue Patterns 1164 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.