SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > JoAnn Fabric pricing ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
JoAnn Fabric pricing
am I the only one who notices this stuff?
schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 9:41 AM

About six months ago I began noticing yardage prices on the ends of bolts blacked out with a marker. At about the same time, I noticed many of the bolt end stickers were placed on top of other bolt end stickers. Last week I came across numerous sale signs posted above fabric bolts that listed the lowest to highest pre-sale prices of those fabrics. The highest price shown on the signs was consistently two dollars less than what was shown on the bolt end sticker.

I asked a sales associate about the discrepancy and she seemed flustered and unsure of how to respond. In the end, she blamed it on "corporate" that sends the sale signs.

I can't help but feel manipulated, especially since coupons at this chain are so plentiful. Are they inflating the yardage prices to mitigate the savings to be gained by using the coupons?

I've found this at four different JoAnn stores in the DFW metro area. What are you seeing in other cities/states?

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 8/7/12 10:17 AM

Interesting....I'm going to have to check that out at my local Joann's.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/7/12 10:49 AM

I've noticed it for a while. What stood out was the clearance tag of $5 was half off an end bolt of $3.99/yd originally.

nicolars
nicolars
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 7/15/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/7/12 10:56 AM

I have noticed this as well...I've bought very little fabric from JoAnn in the past year, even on "clearance" the sale price is often very high considering the quality of the fabric you get. I'd rather go to Haberman Fabrics or order online -- you get higher quality fabric for about the same price.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 8/7/12 10:57 AM

I haven't noticed at my local J's, but I'll check. Retail stores do this routinely. There is a price increase, then in a week or two , the item goes on sale at the previous retail price. Price increases do happen on a regular basis, but most stores do a better job than J's. The company I work for does not allow us to place new prices on top of others...we peel the old price off and resticker...If the old price is showing, the customer gets it at the old price. Likewise if the incorrect signage is sent by the main office, the signs need to be remade inhouse..otherwise the customer gets it at the posted incorrect price, unless it is an obvious error..ie $30 for a $300 item. I believe that this a law in our state.

JoAnn's always irritates me as the local store rarely bothers to hang their ads completely or even remove the old ads. I always shop with a copy of the ad as the employees rarely know what's on sale!

I should say that my job title is "Price Changer" and at the company I work for Price changers have been fired, written up and suspended (rarely, but it happens) for things I see on a regular basis at JoAnn's.
-- Edited on 8/7/12 11:01 AM --

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/7/12 11:07 AM

Quote: schmammy
Are they inflating the yardage prices to mitigate the savings to be gained by using the coupons?

Of course they are. Joann are engaged in gotcha pricing. Instead of pricing stuff fairly, they have inflated regular prices, and frequent sales and coupons to bring the prices down to what would be the market price.

I've stopped shopping at Joann, but when I did, I would routinely see fabric moved from the regular section to clearance. In the process, the price would change from say, $8/yd, to $12 or $15.
hamsterhermes
hamsterhermes
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 11:31 AM

I work at Joann's. The price of fabric has gone up in the past year. We have to change the basic prices of the same fabrics the same as the new ones coming in.
The manufacturers will often put yardage stickers on the bolts if they are not the "classic" yardage. Customers will often say something about this at the cutting counters. I will always explain how it works. btw customers never say anything if the yardage amount sticker is higher than the price.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/7/12 11:41 AM

"Red tag" fabrics....to me that sounds like "clearance" fabrics...right? So wouldn't you think the red tag fabrics would be cheaper than the regular price fabrics? I've seen some red tag fabrics for $8 and up a yard. I usually will find something I like better in the regular price fabrics using a coupon or they may already have it marked down 30 or 40%. So why would a person buy a "red tag" fabric? The only time I do is when they have a sale 50% off all red tag fabrics. Otherwise, I don't think you're getting a deal. Just my opinion!

katlew03
starstarstar
katlew03  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 1/4/08
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 12:04 PM

I did not use coupons regularly because the fabrics I wanted would be on "sale". I made sure that my sales flyer was scanned. Then in May I stopped getting the flyer. I called headquarters and the person I talked with said I was still on the mailing list. She reentered my information to be sure. Then a couple months ago I reapplied at the store. Still no flyers. Now I am getting a large postcard with a couple of items listed as on sale and one coupon on it. I have called again and asked at the store. The sales clerk said they are still sending them out. They have them at the store but are usually for the period of time that is coming up. I am completely frustrated and about to forget about shopping at JoAnn's and do all my fabric shopping at Hobby Lobby or online or even Walmart.

I live 35 miles from the store and do not have the money for gas to drive to the nearest store to pick up a flyer for a future date. I only go to the town where the store is located when we have doctor's appointments so it would cost me more to drive there than I would save with any coupons. I get tired of looking online for sales flyers. I have called my post office and the mail carrier has been on my route for several years and says all my mail is being delivered.

I have also noticed the pricing and only buy sales fabric because of it and only if it is lower priced than the bolt end. I usually buy only notions, patterns on sale, and sewing supplies.

------
Sewn in 2012: 176.212 yds.
2013 Goal: 400 yds (again)
Total sewn in 2013 -- 225.848 yds.
Total yards in inventory 1/1/14 -- 1752.5
Goal for 2014 -- 400 yards (for the third time)

Machines: Designer Diamond, #1+, H Class 100Q, and Viking 400 Serger: 936

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<

Date: 8/7/12 12:25 PM

Quote:
What stood out was the clearance tag of $5 was half off an end bolt of $3.99/yd originally.
This same thing happened to me and when I took the bolt up to the counter, indicating that part of the $5 sticker didn't completely cover the $3.99 original price and I requested the fabric at the lower price, the clerk too became flustered, refused, and blamed it on corporate. That was the last time I bought fabric at Joann's.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> JoAnn Fabric pricing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 02-2002-40

photo
by: 21wale

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern

J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.