SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Horn sewing cabinet ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Horn sewing cabinet
Model #5280
lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 8/7/12 5:56 PM

I just went to my Bernina dealer today to get pricing on this cabinet
She tentatively quoted me approx. $1800 for the table and another $1200 for the optional cabinet. Also there would be shipping and delivery to me. (She has to call and get up-to-date price infor from her distributor.)
I really need a good table with electric lift for my 830 and there is precious little to choose from in my small city.
Dealer sells only the Horn products.
Are these good quality cabinets? I want something that is well built and sturdy. The price would imply quality.
Any comments?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/7/12 8:07 PM

I would look into the Unique Cabinets and Gristmill sewing cabinet. Seems like you'll get a much better quality piece of furniture for your money. Solid wood, too.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

happiness5
happiness5
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/7/12 9:17 PM

I have a sewing table and a cutting table from Gristmill. The price was pretty much the same as horn, but it is beautiful solid wood which I can pass on to my daughter (the only sewer) some day. I could easily see this furniture being passed further down to a grandchild. It is very high quality for a very reasonable price in my opinion.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63 <<

Date: 8/7/12 9:28 PM

Do you *need* a lift because you want to put the machine away and fold up the cabinet? Or are you ok with the machine sitting in proper position but always out?

I have a horn cabinet for my Pfaff/Juki/Bernina 630 that I use to host whatever second machine I have sitting out, and it is ok. BUT for my 830 I have the Unique Sewing Furniture, and I love it. Gorgeous real wood. Much higher quality than the Horn. Their delivery price is very reasonable--they set it up for you. Also, I was able to get a much better price through my dealer than MSRP listed on their website, so don't let those prices scare you. PM me if you want more info.

You can see photos of my 830 setup here if you want to see the Unique Furniture. I purchased natural cherry, but it comes in many woods/finishes.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Lovin To Stitch
Lovin To Stitch  Friend of PR
Member since 9/29/11
Send Message

Date: 8/8/12 1:06 AM

Sonoma33 your arrangement is very appealing. Would you mind telling me the brand/size of your threaad containers. The spools seem to fit. I am continuing to attemt some semblance of organization. Thank you!

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 8/8/12 9:41 AM

Thank you, all, for the suggestions. I will look into the Unique products as there actually is a dealer in my state. I'll contact them to see if they will set up in my city (about 350 miles from their dealer).

Sonoma, I want the machine to sit down into the cabinet and then raise for embroidery. I like the idea of the electric lift because additionally (at least with the Horn) you get six outlets in the cabinet.

-- Edited on 8/8/12 9:46 AM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/8/12 1:58 PM

Thanks again, Sonoma and Diana!
In about two weeks I will be the proud owner of a new Unique Table model 572L .
I was actually able to talk to the owner this morning and he walked me through the best options for me and for my 830.
I am SO excited and so glad for your help in making the right decision!

------
Linda

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Lovin To Stitch <<

Date: 8/8/12 2:09 PM

Hi,

The embroidery thread containers are these.

And the serger thread cone storage are these.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 8/8/12 2:14 PM

Yay! I think you will LOVE your Unique Table. I wish all of my furniture was as nice as my Unique sewing furniture. And the setup was so smooth--the driver called and checked in with me so I knew exactly when he was showing up. He wiped down the furniture and put conditioner on it when setting it up and left everything in perfect order. And then he took all the containers, etc. away afterwards, so there was nothing for me to do but enjoy my new furniture and sewing!

------

susyqueue
susyqueue
Intermediate
Member since 11/9/11
Send Message

Date: 8/8/12 11:08 PM

I'd highly recommend checking out Gristmill Sewing cabinets. With the amazing help of Jason, I custom designed a solid maple sewing; I addded an electric lift, eliminated the front doors and made the top a bit bigger. It was in the same ballpark as a Horn or Koala cabinet. This is my first attempt at loading photos of my sewing room onto Flickr, so I hope it works!

My Sewing Room on Flickr

Here's a link (I hope) to Gristmill Cabinet's website, but Jason can show you tons of stunning unique customized versions:

Gristmill Cabinets
-- Edited on 8/9/12 0:43 AM --

------
"Look at the donut, not at the hole"

Bernina 830e and 215, Featherweight 221 and 222k, Viking 150e, Babylock Sashiko

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Horn sewing cabinet

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

More Info
New Look 6575

photo
by: ryan's mom

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.