Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Beginner's Forum > What have I gotten myself into??? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What have I gotten myself into???
ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/9/12 5:53 PM

Okay, making costumes for the niece and nephew for the renaissance faire. Didn't seem that bad, a shirt and pants for the boy, bodice chemise and skirt for the girl. Except, of course, I've never made a collared shirt before. But at least it's a loose fitting thing that will help hide mistakes. The bodice isn't simple, though, and it gives me nervous fits thinking of it. But the skirt is just a 4 gore and the chemise is a peasant dress, they are simple. But I need to finish the bodice with bias tape, which I need to make. It's not supposed to hard, right? First time for this. But still, doable.

But I forgot about the husbands pants I need to do. They are at least simple elastic waist ones at least. And I need to make myself a new skirt too. Another gore skirt, not too bad, but the items keep adding up. And oops, my old bodice doesn't fit!! So I need to do a new one. But the patterns aren't my size, so I'm going to draft a conic block pattern. Found the instructions online, no idea how much fun that will be. At least I'm going to skip all the boning, as it won't fit me next year-thank the weight loss surgery this summer for that.
Now that I look at the whole list I'm having a slight panic attack. I was thinking 2 days ago that I was doing well. Already started the projects. Usually I'm starting 2 days before they need to be finished. I was so proud.....
You know what they say about pride going before a fall. They need to be done by the 17th. And the kids(teenagers really) need to be done sooner, because I have to check fit and hems on them. I took measurements, but still.
I think I'm in over my head. Oh, and the new sewing machine arrived and I just put it too work today, so I have to get used to that too. This should be a very interesting week

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 8/9/12 10:25 PM

Wow - I got out of breath just reading your post! I have nothing to say except "Good Luck!!"

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
online now

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 8/9/12 10:46 PM

This sounds like something I would have gotten myself into and then half-way through thought "this was stupid, why did I do this to myself?" I always find that things work out though. On the plus for you, I think it is easier to make things new than alter already made items. I don't have any other encouragement except try to have fun! Good luck!

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
MN USA
Member since 2/16/12

Date: 8/10/12 0:09 AM

Wow! I'd come over and help if I lived close to you! Maybe not use the new machine right now (that sounds hard to do)....but it should decrease the panic level....

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/10/12 1:16 AM

Wowee that's a lot of stuff to sew. Unless you're a super fast sewer and having nothing else going on I would encourage a plan B.

It may be a good idea to make just a few pieces. Send the husband and kids out to a thrift store or something for the rest.

Or you can put some of them to work on their own garments. Cutting, sewing, threading needles etc. I assume you have 2 machines now with the new one.

Or they can help out my doing all the cooking, cleaning, chores etc so you can sew, sew, sew.

Good luck!

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

sj3663
sj3663  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 12/2/09

Date: 8/10/12 6:56 AM

Wow! Yes--like NhiHuynh said, someone else is going to need to do the chores. Sounds like a challenge.

Good luck! You can get that bias tape thing, if I can. With your list, though, it may be worth it to purchase some and save yourself a task if you can find the right color!

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12

Date: 8/14/12 1:53 PM

Well the massive sewing project is in progress. The shirt, chemise, skirt and pants are all done. I'm particularly proud of the shirt, not that it's perfect or anything. But it's my first collared shirt and it actually looks like the pattern-and it fits my nephew thank goodness. The bodice is tonight's project, princess seams with nowale corduroy should be a joy. Making the bias tape was a disaster, purchased bias to the rescue.
I have the husbands pants left, they are easy. My bodice which I have to make the pattern for, that is going to be a challenge. And my skirt, which shouldn't be hard once the color is right. The linen was white, which I dyed green. It wasn't very dark, so I dyed it navy over the green-end result a very ugly grey color. Yuck! So it's being bleached as I type and will be dyed a dark navy over it then. I really, really hope it looks okay.
I've actually made some accessories, little pouches for the kids(who are teenagers) to go with the outfits. I wish they could help me with this, they would if they could. But they live over an hour away and neither knows how to sew. My husband has offered to help with a few little bits, he can sorta sew a straight seam, but that is it. He'll put the grommets in the shirt and go through and trim all the excess threads.
I have been using the new machine exclusively, this is the Singer's today's special from 2 weeks ago. I have 30 days to decide if I'm going to keep it and I want to put it through the wringer to test it. So far, so good actually. Even made a leather pouch with it. But I have more torture testing in store for it before the final decision At least it has been easy to learn to use, thank goodness for that.
This is actually going better then I thought, even with the bias tape debacle and fabric dying fun. I think my skills are slowly improving, and my sewing speed certainly has. I'm at home so I can sew all day, that helps a lot too. I'm just glad I'm getting these done, I've been promising the kids costumes for several years. And they are nice kids and grateful for them. This is still insanity, but it looks like the insanity may actually get done, which is nice. I'll post reviews of the patterns with pictures when I'm done with them, at least the stuff that I used a pattern for.
Mary

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
MN USA
Member since 2/16/12

Date: 8/14/12 2:31 PM

I can't wait to see pictures and here the closing write-up. You are going to have soooo much more confidence with your sewing after this.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

Date: 8/14/12 5:03 PM

You have my sympathy and support! Two summers ago, I decided that my entire family needed "Much Ado About Nothing" garb for fair--with just under 8 weeks to make two skirts, two bodices, two vests, and two shirts--most of it drafted or draped *from scratch!* Not to mention sourcing all those different varieties of white fabric! But I managed it, the other 3 were thrilled, and we looked fantastic. Whew!

While you're working on your last bits, I'm rustling up a new doublet for FIL, a new shirt for DH, and a new chemise and skirt for myself. Sounds downright manageable when I type it all out!

Good luck! Press on!

------
~Gem in the prairie

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12

Date: 8/14/12 6:25 PM

Ooh, if your Much Ado About Nothing outfits we're styled like the movie, they would be really nice, love that movie and the costumes in it. Since you do historical sewing, a quick question-have you drafted your own block for a bodice/corset? Because that's what I'm doing tomorrow. None of the big4 pattern companies have one in my size, so I have to improvise. If I can't do it my husband is going to bring out the duck tape Depending how my niece's bodice goes tonite, I may wish I had done this for hers. This is doing wonders for my confidence in sewing, I've actually finished stuff I thought I couldn't, and it even looks right. And as I said, it's been a good trial for the new machine. There will be pictures, have to take them at the faire with the kids modeling. And the weather looks cooperative, not so hot that we should pass out. I actually like it better in the fall, the costumes are made for that kind of weather. 60 and cool works very well with long skirts and cloaks. Of course, last year the last weekend was cancelled by a nor'easter, that was a little much.
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What have I gotten myself into???

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Online Sewing Classes
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Vogue Patterns 8620 JACKET
photo
Review by mhoutz on 12/27/11
Read Review

Paradiso Designs Lolita Simple Skirt Formula Pattern
Paradiso Designs Lolita Simple Skirt Formula Pattern

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Sweet Pea Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )
Peek-A Boo Sweet Pea Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )

Details
Price: $3.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Shana Tunic Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Shana Tunic Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Colette Patterns 1022 Iris
photo
Review by froggiegir... on 6/30/12
Read Review

Simplicity 2250 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Simplicity 2250 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewaholic Patterns Saltspring Dress
Sewaholic Patterns Saltspring Dress

Details
Price: $17.98
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN