Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > So enough. I'm gonna pick up a Janome 7700QCP ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
So enough. I'm gonna pick up a Janome 7700QCP
Going through Elna detox, though!
RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 4 members like this.
Date: 8/9/12 10:49 PM

As the owner of three weenie dogs myself... gotta just love this ad:

So unless my Elna dealer caves and will drop the price on an Excellence by $700 more ... I'm gonna be the newest Janome Girl in these parts.

I'd really rather have the cute footsie garage on the front of the Elna Excellence...

but hey... for $700, I can learn to love red.

Still loving the quiet running and the stitch quality of these machines more than any of the $7,000+ machines I tried - with the exception of the Ellisimo Gold - it rocked, too.

I can get the Horizon for $2,300 with a studio table ....

But the darn Studio Table (shown above - if my link worked!) that is made by Janome has two drawbacks - 1) it doesn't come with a solid top insert so you can use your machine in free arm mode. and ... 2) it doesn't fold up. The pro - it has a cute little drawer. Big whoop. For $600?!?!?!? Really?!?!?

So then I did a little Googling and found this one... a Gidget 2 by Arrow:

It comes complete with a solid top, it folds up, and a bonus deal... another blogger showed how the acrylic extension table that comes with a Janome fits this thing....

Pretty cool, huh? And only costs $180 from Kens Sewing - including shipping.

So it's looking like for $2,200 I've got the machine and the table. My Elna dealer wants $3,300.

------
My projects (and life and times!) are on www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger
APQS George ... oh heck... go Millie!

2014: Sold the 7700 to make room for a 5.5mm machine alongside side my Ellie.
2013: Wow.. no real new toys - too much family drama!!!!
2012: New Elna Lotus for granddaughter, Red Elna Press, Horizon 7700, Gidget 2 Table, Babylock Ellisimo Gold
1970's: Elna SU62 & ElnaPress

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

Date: 8/9/12 10:55 PM

Oh... forgot... Here's how that table folds up:

I don't own an RV at this moment in time... but when I do (again)... think how nice this table would be to own! Good for retreats, too.

Oh... about the "detox"... it's really rough to swallow that Elna is turning into an underdog of sorts. I've been away from machine buying for the last 20 years ... so coming back to it a few months ago has been a real eye-opening, overwhelming experience for me.

If you asked me 2 months ago if I'd own a Janome... lol... I honestly couldn't imagine anything without an Elna name going in my house.

So sad.... But I'm gettin' over it.

-- Edited on 8/9/12 10:57 PM --

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

2012: New Elna Lotus for granddaughter, Red Elna Press, Horizon 7700, Gidget 2 Table, Babylock Ellisimo Gold

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 8/9/12 10:56 PM

This sounds great! You will enjoy that Janome-- I love the red of the 7700, and, sometimes you just have to go with the best price.
Do let us know when she comes home!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 8/9/12 11:03 PM

That is cool-congratulations! I looked at Elnas too and really liked the cool foot storage but it was $700 more at my dealers as well. I bought the 6600 and love it (the Horizon was out of my price range). I don't have the table yet-I think I am going with the sew perfect tables. I agree that is alot of machine for the $$! You know you will have to sew things and take pictures as we all live vicariously through each others' purchases

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

Date: 8/9/12 11:08 PM

Another "up" side to the Janome... (for me, anyway) ...

Is that the touch screen is down on the right side of the machine instead of up in mid-air in the middle of the machine like it is on the Elna.

I developed some pain in my right wrist/outside edge of my lower arm earlier this year from too much touchpad-mouse clicking on my laptop with my right thumb (had to buy an ergonomic wireless mouse to reduce that repetitive stress pain) ... as well as buying an iphone and ipad in the past year also aggravated that part of my hand/arm.

I do tedious work.. and can't afford to have my arm all goofed up... and I did have some concerns over the display on the excellence causing me to bend my right hand goofy to work that display.

They're both nice machines... this is really coming down to price this time - I can buy alot of fabric for $1,000 I save.

Oh... and the real bummer is that I've probably spent $4,000 in that Elna dealer's shop in the past 90 days or so.... I bought that Lotus, an Elna Press, did a $300 repair, as well as bought LOTS of goodies in there. She's just a stickler on dealing.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Leoladysw
star
Leoladysw
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 6/14/12

Subject: So enough. Im gonna pick up a Janome 7700QCP Date: 8/9/12 11:17 PM

What!!!!

No Elna! Heavens forfend! I'm an Elna girl from Way Back. You'll come crawling back to the fold!

------
Six Elna Lotus/Stella sm [kid's sewing classes]
Elna 33C SP sm, Pfaff 1473 CD sm, Viking 6030 sm, Singer Sphinx 127 sm, Singer Lotus 127 sm, Bernina 830 Record, Nelco J A-38 sm, Necchi Lelia 515 sm
http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandgardens.blogspot

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

In reply to Leoladysw <<

Date: 8/9/12 11:36 PM

Quote: Leoladysw
What!!!!

No Elna! Heavens forfend! I'm an Elna girl from Way Back. You'll come crawling back to the fold!

Yeah! Tellmeaboutit!

I still love, love, love my 62... I love her so much that I called an automotive body shop yesterday and inquired about how much it would cost me to have her repainted - thinking she deserves a White Pearl paintjob for her 40th birthday. Whattayathink?

And I love the new Lotus... I'll be buying a second one of those... the first one will go home to my 7 year old granddaughter's house soon - and I'll miss it. It's just so darn cute. So I'll get a second one for me to take on retreats, etc... and for there to be an exact same machine here as the grandbabe has at home for her to work on when she's with me.

The 62 will basically enjoy semi-retirement in a place of prominence in my home - looking good in a Pearl paintjob. lol... and she will get lovingly used when I have to do some tiny work - you can't beat her 5mm feed dogs and that precision, tight, -SMALL- foot when it comes to doing picky little stuff like Barbie clothes or for when I make Tarot Bags (long story... lol .. but I make uber-cool ones)

I despise the feet on these new machines compared to how good the feet worked on the 62. These feel like I'm working with fat crayons instead of a fine pen. I digress.

Besides the current Excellence vs 7700 decision... I was bummed to find out that Elna isn't coming out with anything that is comparable to the 12000. Now that 12000 is crazy priced and unless the pricing comes down to earth, I'm looking towards Babylock for an embroidery machine. All that said, that 12000 is a cool machine and its sad there isn't something on the horizon (pun intended) for Elna to upgrade their Embroidery Machine offerings anytime soon to compete with that 12000 or with what Babylock/Brother is doing.

Bring out a decent machine at a decent price... and yeah... I'd be there. But I'm kinda hoping this round of machine buying doesn't need to be repeated again within the next decade for me. (Famous last words now that technology is such a big part of the sewing world, eh?)

-- Edited on 8/9/12 11:37 PM --

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 8/4/06

Date: 8/9/12 11:45 PM

Maybe she could have given you a break after all the business you have done there. Now you have a hundred reasons to go to the Janome dealer.

Leoladysw
star
Leoladysw
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 6/14/12

Date: 8/10/12 0:11 AM

Yeah your 62 deserves a new paint job, but semi-retirement is kinda drastic don't yah think?

She will wither away and die without attention.......

------
Six Elna Lotus/Stella sm [kid's sewing classes]
Elna 33C SP sm, Pfaff 1473 CD sm, Viking 6030 sm, Singer Sphinx 127 sm, Singer Lotus 127 sm, Bernina 830 Record, Nelco J A-38 sm, Necchi Lelia 515 sm
http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandgardens.blogspot

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

In reply to LuceLu <<

Date: 8/10/12 1:01 AM

Quote: LuceLu
Maybe she could have given you a break after all the business you have done there. Now you have a hundred reasons to go to the Janome dealer.

Humpf.

No kidding, right?

I've got my daughter in law interested in starting to sew & quilt... as well as two of my clients - of which one of them I already introduced to the store.

What kills me is that I do a service business. I do *exceptional* work, but I work from home & I do have to keep my pricing for my work in line (somewhat) with competition and what my area can bear. I live in Colorado - not LA or Manhattan! lol

So it's as irksome as all get-out that for a *retail sale* (as in no hours and hours of labor involved!) .. she won't deal a little.

You'd think that making $500 (as example) on a transaction would be better than making $0.

You'd think that gaining referrals from someone like me would also be something she'd be interested in.

Well... that ain't gonna happen either if my dollars go off to another source for my equipment.

Such a bummer.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> So enough. I'm gonna pick up a Janome 7700QCP

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Violette Field Threads Emmaline Maxi Dress
photo
Review by newmama on 6/23/12
Read Review

Jeans for Real People DVD Set
Jeans for Real People DVD Set

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)
Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Details
Price: $12.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Elaina Pintuck Party Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )
Peek-A Boo Elaina Pintuck Party Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Angela Osborn Marion Skirt Digital Pattern (SS11-12-201)
Angela Osborn Marion Skirt Digital Pattern (SS11-12-201)

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2010-132
photo
Review by SewingandS... on 1/11/12
Read Review

Simplicity 4647 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )
Simplicity 4647 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8926 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
Vogue 8926 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $22.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN