SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > French Curve video ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
French Curve video
Hey, fellow beginners....take note!
solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/11/12 6:04 PM

I'm watching a video right now by silhouette patterns on 3 things you should know before you even go to the sewing machine. I've spent about 20 minutes learning about French Curves.

I had bought a little one when I set myself for sewing, but now that I watch this video I see that I need need need a big one. You do too!!!!! I really had no idea how simple this thing could make fitting until I watched this video. I had researched fit a lot, but my understanding of it was really mathematical. ( if you subtract X here then you have to subtract a fraction of it here... and here....etc). To be honest, I had no idea what the numbers on the french curve were for. I just thought it was a guide for drawing nice curves.

Now I am not that great at math and I struggled. Not that it was hard math, but it was like I was missing the basic idea of how things went together, so I had to think too much about it.

This video, and this french curve information, was like a lightning bolt to me. I'm in graphic arts, so maybe my learning style is different, but this french curve totally took the mystery out of clothing construction for me. I could tell I was understanding it when I would think a question like "Well, shouldn't you be adjusting the position in the shoulder seam as well?" and she would answer that question almost immediately.

I even now know what that notch in the armpit means! I feel fully confident to make a shirt with armholes and a collar now.

Seriously... this was such an AHA moment, I had to stop my video and make this post. I don't think you have to order the video to learn this information (although it is an AWESOME video). There's probably you-tube videos out there. BUT... I had researched French Curves mildly and I had learned specific uses of it, but hadn't understood the global overall importance of it. So make sure your source talks about more than just how to increase an armhole.

I never go anywhere without a certain metal ruler I have, that has picas and points and centimeters and inches. It is my love, even though it's over 30 years old and scratched to death. It helps me navigate my way through my work projects and more importantly, my ruler is my translator. The French Curve is a similar translator, translating between the 3D world and a flat pattern, and allows us to kind of communicate with the person who originally drafted the pattern. With a French Curve, you can say to the original designer..."I know what you did there, and why...."

This French Curve is going to be the sewing equivalent of my ruler. I know it. And before this video, I thought of it more as an "advanced sewer" accessory. NOOOOOOO. It is as important as your pins.
-- Edited on 8/11/12 6:30 PM --

sewtea
sewtea
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 8/25/05
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<

Date: 8/11/12 6:56 PM

What is the name of the video? I checked the site here but don't see one named 3 things you should know before going to sewing machine. Info sounds fabulous !!
-- Edited on 8/11/12 6:57 PM --

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

In reply to sewtea <<

Date: 8/11/12 7:12 PM

It's this one: linkie

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 8/12/12 8:22 AM

You should post this in this as a review under sewing supplies. On the left, under sewing reviews, is a category for Sewing Supplies. Click on that and then, on the left at the top, is Post a Review. More people would have access to it then. I have a French Curve, and only found the booklet that came with it a couple weeks ago.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/12/12 8:45 AM

Solveg, I had a different type of French curve ruler, called a Curve and a Square. It was rounded at the top, and had a square bottom. And it too had numbers on it. Stupid me, I ignored those numbers and their hidden meanings until recently, and I've been sewing for a while! I could never replicate the same curve using it because I didn't use the entire tool << thumping head here >> . After seeing Peggy's video, the whole thing came to light because she made it so simple (I was intimidated by it all at one time) and I bought one of her French curves. Now I keep a notebook of all my "favorite" measurements, such as my favorite armhole for a sleeveless top, a sleeved blouse and a jacket. As well as my favorite necklines.

Your post speaks of a needed review--go for it!!!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

Date: 8/12/12 10:21 AM

LOL Well, I hadn't finished the video when I posted this... I was laying on the floor dazed from my direct hit by lightning. When I arose, the world seemed more colorful and full of possibilities. Yes. That was the impact of this video.

OK. I'll do a formal review of it. I'll have to watch it again so I can make a good one.

And I DO want to watch it again. Again and again and again.

But I really don't want this post to be a cheerleader for the video... it's just really a shout out to my fellow newbies. If I find some time, I'll see if I can find the same information on you-tube or some other source for those that don't have access to the video. It's the "overview" aspect of it that is so marvelous. I didn't even get a booklet when I bought my french curve yesterday.

-- Edited on 8/12/12 10:35 AM --

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

Date: 8/12/12 10:29 AM

The one question I have after watching it....

She talks about how french curves can have different curves. How likely is this to happen? You'd think they'd all be exactly the same, or a person would get very messed up if they lost their french curve and couldn't find the exact brand again.

It's like learning how to use a ruler, but being told that different rulers had different measurements for an inch.

PattiinATL
PattiinATL  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 5/9/08
Send Message

Date: 8/12/12 10:30 AM

I actually just watched that video last night! it was invaluable. I bought her "Little Black Book" that has a ton of videos in it and I really love this one and the "fitting yourself by yourself!"

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<

Date: 8/12/12 10:45 AM

I find all of Peggy's DVD's and webcasts very helpful. Everyone has a different way of "getting" it when it comes to learning. I find Peggys way of explaing things clicks into my brain the best.
On each of her webcasts she has a question and answer period where she answers viewers questions. These 15 minutes or so are worth their weight in gold to me. I think it would be worth your while to watch all of her webcasts.

------
Ada

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<

Date: 8/12/12 11:00 AM

Quote:
She talks about how french curves can have different curves. How likely is this to happen? You'd think they'd all be exactly the same, or a person would get very messed up if they lost their french curve and couldn't find the exact brand again.

When I placed my well-used Curve and Square on the French curve I found at Joann's and is the same one Peggy uses, I found the shapes to be different, as well as the numbers were opposite of each other. So believe it or not, it CAN happen! Luckily for me the Curve and Square is no longer made, which forces me to use the regular French curve.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> French Curve video

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

StyleArc Ada Knit Top

photo
by: ChristmasH...

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

Buy Now
Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Buy Now
New Look 6125

photo
by: JUNIPERJUN...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.