SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > good time to buy sewing machine? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
good time to buy sewing machine?
nansheeya
nansheeya
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 3/9/06
Send Message

Date: 8/12/12 11:39 PM

Hello,
I am looking to buy a machine at a dealer for the first time. When is the best time of the year or season to get the best deal? Or is there such a thing? I am looking mostly pfaff, Janome, Black/brother. Thank you!

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to nansheeya <<

Date: 8/13/12 0:11 AM

Around here, Christmas. Huge sales.

Speaking of, it's not all that far away already. Yikes.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Sibilance7
Sibilance7
Intermediate
Member since 8/10/11
Send Message

Date: 8/13/12 0:40 AM

I agree that Christmas is a good time - or year end. I got a good deal on a Bernina last year because my dealer was doing an inventory sale - a "we don't want to count it so we'll discount it for you" sale. I don't know how many dealers do that, but it's one way you can save money.

------
My blog: www.feministstitch.com

I sew on:
Olivia, my Pfurple Pfaff Creative Performance
BabyLock Evolution

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 8/13/12 0:45 AM

I got my last dealer machine in a post Christmas sale, as well. But you might get a good deal if you are willing to tell them you really don't want to wait that long.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 8/13/12 0:49 AM

I got my Uniquely you after the first of the year (I ordered it on the 2nd) for Christmas and it was less then an adjustable one on sale from Hancock's.

I looked at an $1100 machine at that time (4th or 5th) that was marked down to $499 as well.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/13/12 6:58 AM

None of my dealers keep inventory of machines - they order them. Thus, no real deals at Christmas time.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 8/13/12 7:09 AM

Sometimes you can get good deals on ex classroom demos from shows, or good sales for Mother's Day, or end of financial year in addition to Christmas. There should be company specials at those times. Some dealerships like to turn over machines and stock new ones and will discount at the end of the financial year rather than have to bother depreciating their stock.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

Sewmissy2
Sewmissy2
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/5/10
Send Message

Date: 8/13/12 7:48 AM

Look for good deals on demonstrator machines at events, you can ask for a better deal on floor models in the store as well. If there is an event going on, there may be good prices on new in the box machines too.

If traffic is down, they may run sales to get people to come in..usually machines will get discounted then as well.

And always remember that at a dealer, you should get guide classes included as well as a nice warranty. Look for a dealer with an in house tech as you will have less time with the machine in the shop if they don't send it out to be serviced.

------
Designer 1, bought in 2000
Simplicity 350 serger, bought about 1997
3 Tajima Neo single head embroidery machines
Digitizer by profession
Embroidery software: Tajima DGML by Pulse (commercial) also know Designer's Gallery and Floriani for home use.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 8/13/12 7:55 AM

Most of my deals have been just as new models come out ..they mark down the retiring models to make room for the new ones. If you time it right and they're down to their last one or two machines, you can save a bundle.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/13/12 8:07 AM

Also at month's end as the dealers like to boost the month's sale total. I have found that many dealers are willing to negotiate even on sale prices - I always try because they can only say no to a price that I am willing to pay. That being said, I do understand this is how they make a living and if I get a good deal I patronize the shop frequently afterwards.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> good time to buy sewing machine?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

More Info
Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

More Info
Butterick 6520 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.