SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > How do you topstitch knits? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you topstitch knits?
robin623
robin623
Intermediate
Member since 6/7/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/14/12 5:24 AM

I know many of you coverstitch. I don't have a desire to buy or use one.

A single straight stitch always looks best for me and I've never had a problem with it breaking. Maybe it's because I make my neck openings big enough so they don't need to stretch much. I feel like it's not professional though so I don't know if I should sell anything like that. That's why I use RTW shirts in my outfits but I want to start creating and selling with some of my cute knit print stash. My double stretch needle never looks good. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I get that puckering between the stitches. Sometimes I don't topstitch at all which looks fine as long as it's ironed. I tried doing a zig zag tonight and it looks okay. I can't get any topstitching to work on stretchy baby nay or baby lulu. Even some I have that were coverstitched get all stretched out.

.Tip, ideas? What do you do (besides coverstitch)?
-- Edited on 8/14/12 5:27 AM --

Melody
starstar
Melody
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 2/7/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/14/12 8:30 AM

I suggest using stabilizer. It works wonders.

------
Melody

Ugh, really?

juliette2
star
juliette2
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 8/14/12 9:00 AM

I zigzag.

I am never happy with the results I get with a twin needle. It usually tunnels and the bobbin thread eventually breaks if the fabric is stretchy, then the stitching comes undone.

I even have a coverstitcher but find it more trouble than it is worth. Difficult to thread, difficult to stitch accurately on the edge... I know many people love their coverstitchers but it's a bit too fiddley for me.

Zigzagging is best for me. It looks OK -- some RTW garments have zigzag stitching and most people don't sew and don't have a clue about hem finishes anyway.

Keep it simple: that's my motto!

------
It's a custom-made designer original. I made it myself.

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 8/14/12 9:45 AM

If I use my sewing machine, using a walking foot helps with even feed with double needles on knits, the stablizer is also a big help.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 8/14/12 10:50 AM

Steam-a-Seam is your friend ;)
Also, have you seen Sarah Veblen's binding video?

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 8/14/12 11:15 AM

I use the triple stretch stitch that is available on most machines. It looks nice and has a bit of stretch. Works fairly well with most knits.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to robin623 <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 8/14/12 11:37 AM

Press and baste first. Same with twin needle top-stitching; pressing and basting first eliminates the drag lines and stretching.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Date: 8/14/12 12:10 PM

I often use my Teflon foot because it doesn't seem to gather up fabric on very stretchy knits. Lightweight fusible interfacing is a godsend for top stitching knits.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

Cuffs
Cuffs
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 8/14/12 3:49 PM

To prevent channeling with a twin needle, loosen the bobbin tension.

I'll second the stabilizer idea for preventing rippling, especially sewing cross-grain on a very stretchy knit. That said, I'd tried many that were supposed to do the trick... but didn't.

cocosloft
starstar
cocosloft  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/17/12
Send Message

Date: 8/15/12 10:06 AM

I'm with LynnRowe - I press and baste first. If it's a hem, I zigzag then turn up and use steam a seam before topstitching. Also loosen my upper thread tension. Every piece of fabric is different...so I practice on scraps until I'm happy with settings and so on. Keep at it!

------
Coco

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> How do you topstitch knits?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

More Info
Simplicity 2206

photo
by: myraminx

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.