SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > THIS was a surprise success.... ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
THIS was a surprise success....
I just made the best fitting pants I've had in years.
solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 8/14/12 11:52 PM

And they have an elastic waist! Like I've mentioned before, I've been really throttling myself back on the sewing enthusiasm and limiting what I'm making to several Kwik-Sew Quick Start patterns. The easiest of the easy. It's hard to get enthusiastic about them.

This last project was a pair of drawstring pants. I was going to make them out of flannel as pajama bottoms because I never wear elastic waists. Everyone says to avoid them! And, of course, they reminded me of my grandmas.

But the muslin turned out really promising! So I made them in linen, and I am stunned. It took some doing.... I cut the fabric so there was as little excess fabric as possible around the waist. I actually clipped off the finished seam pockets because they were too bulky. And I did a weird alteration that took the excess back-leg fabric away--an "under-butt" dart that is cut in, not sewn in. I left the waist until last, having cut several inches of material there so I could play with how the waistband hit me and still have enough to fold over.

The linen itself had been washed and dried 5 times to make the loveliest, softest thickest material.

I actually look like I have a round rear end! The pants hit the widest part of my hips and just hang straight down, not clinging to any lumps or bumps! There's just enough width in the leg to hang straight, but it's not wide enough to make me look short. I look like I lost 30 lbs.

I liked it enough that I hand stitched the "turn-over" style of casing so I didn't get a horizontal seam line on the pants.

I was amazed and surprised that such an un-promising project could give me such an excellent pair of pants. They actually look kind of elegant! And all that work I did pulling threads and making sure the fabric was squared payed off with a lovely leg drape.

I also added a drawstring towards the interior of the waistband in case the linen and elastic "grew" like my other linen projects have.

I can't believe the Kwik Sew pattern for elastic waist pants varies that much than the pattern EVERY other company puts out, but Kwik Sew has now taken on somewhat magical properties for me.

I have 4 or 5 more of the Kwik Start patterns to use before I graduate to the Pink (easy) ones. Amazingly, none of the projects has been without a few challenges for me, so I know I'm doing the right thing staying at this level for a while.

I'm amazed that I have not made a single wadder yet, or decided at the muslin that it wasn't worth fabric.

Next up... a drawstring shirt/coverup/vest kind of thing that I can't imagine actually wearing. But it's a Kwik Sew pattern, so magic may happen!

I'll post a photo and a review when the sun comes up tomorrow. I just wanted to share such a pleasant surprise.

-- Edited on 8/15/12 0:08 AM --

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/15/12 0:00 AM

KWIK SEW was so good. Now that they are owned by the bog four I suppose that will change, so grab all the patterns you can from the good days!I have some and they are very very well drafted patterns. I have sewn kids stuff from them, as well as one of those classic cross-over tops. great patterns.

Your pants sound so nice! SO glad to hear they turned out so well. I do know the feeling, and you are now going to want to make all your pants from that pattern! We'll wait and read the great review you are going to write and see the pictures!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
International AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04
Send Message

Date: 8/15/12 3:44 AM

Right on! I love it when Pants turn out good, since I'm hard to fit as well. Looking forward to seeing your picture

penny0904
penny0904
Intermediate
Member since 8/15/12
Send Message

Date: 8/15/12 3:55 AM

sounds very nice ,hope can see the picutre

------
http://www.lovelyshoes.net

sj3663
sj3663
Beginner
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 8/15/12 6:40 AM

Awesome!! Congratulations on your success! Yay!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/15/12 8:11 AM

Isn't it great when things work out, even though we've been beating ourselves up over them?

After I left high school, and Home Ec, in the Pleistocene age, Kwik Sew was my goto pattern company. The styles were a step above the Big 4 at that time, and I liked many of them--still do. My son was "wearing" KwikSew before he was born!

I always found good fit with KwikSew. The dot pricing system was unique to KwikSew; a certain color of dot meant a certain price for the pattern. It was also through this dot system that I learned how difficult a particular pattern was; the more expensive the dot, the more difficult.

Like Mufffet said, grab up all the patterns you can because I think their quality will go downhill now. If you can find a KwikSew Master Pattern book with the patterns, that's a goldmine. A blouse pattern, skirt pattern, pants pattern and a knit top pattern, are included and the book gives you excellent instruction how to modify them with design changes such as round necklines, gores for the skirt, etc., all with very easy instructions and great pictures. '

Please write a review!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 8/15/12 8:18 AM

PANTS!!! The holy grail of fitting? Congratulations. It took me so long to get a decent fitting pant that I use the same pattern and use "features" from other pant patterns with my pattern rather than risk trying to get another pant pattern to fit.

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 8/15/12 9:29 AM

I really love it that you're working with the easiest of patterns and working your way up to harder ones. I think that might be a good way for me to focus more on the fundamentals. thanks for the inspiration!

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 8/15/12 10:54 AM

Thanks everyone! I wore them all last night to see how they acted when they "grew", so now I'm washing them before I take the photo so you can see them before they get looser. Although, I have to say that even bagged out they were a better fit than all my other pants.

I did buy almost every Kwik Sew pattern I thought I might make during that big sale when they were a couple of bucks with the membership. I think I probably have all of them, and then bought some more when they were $6. I have maybe....30 of them? Maybe more? (edit: just counted, and I bought 53 of them. :D)

I've never seen or heard of this master pattern book, but since it's a Minnesota company maybe I'll have some luck looking for it. Unless it's the retail book you can get on Amazon....Easy Sewing the Kwik Sew Way. I passed that by because I thought the beginner patterns would have the same info in it. I'll get it, if it doesn't.

Miss Fairchild, do you remember what the dots mean? LIke what order they go in? That would help me plan out the order of the patterns in my "sewing curricula".
-- Edited on 8/15/12 11:00 AM --

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 8/15/12 11:04 AM

Congrats! I sew a lot, but I'm afraid of pants!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> THIS was a surprise success....

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

McCall's 6103

photo
by: ChrisS

Review
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now
Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-104

photo
by: Nan Kay

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.