Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Am I paying too much to heat water? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Am I paying too much to heat water?
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/15/12 3:10 PM

We've got an indirect hot water heater, (SuperStor) with one of those expansion tanks above the boiler.

Our house is heated with wood.

The oil we buy is exclusively for heating water - showers (6 people), dishwasher once a day, laundry (which isn't much hot, as my HE washer has a special cold setting, so I can often use cold or warm water).

So, I buy about 375-400 gallons of oil/year, at about $1800. So that's $1800....just to heat water? Really?

My boiler is 15 years old and in good shape, checked yearly, as good efficiency as it's going to get at 85%. My water tank is in good shape. No leaks, nothing like that. My furnace guy (I don't buy oil from him, so no conflict of interest) says what I'm paying is actually fine. But my plumber says to go electric, I'll save. And SuperStor's technician told me I likely might save by going electric. ?

What think you?

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 12/2/09

Date: 8/15/12 3:23 PM

The energy graph thing for a 40 gallon electric water heater is $480-532, and that's for the cheapest model at Lowes, so I think you would save money, even with adding to your electrical system and buying the water heater.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/15/12 6:47 PM

We live in an area with extremely hard water, and for decades I have used cold water for everything. Clothes and linens come out fine, and it does save bucks. Do you absolutely have to use hot for some reason?

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 8/15/12 8:08 PM

In my area natural gas is less expensive than electricity. My furnace, hot water heater and dryer are on natural gas. My most expensive bill ever was $160.00 (for one month)and that's when there was a blizzard. In the summer I don't use heat and my bill this month was $21.00. My house has 2300 sq feet. I don't have an HE washer and warm is my favorite temp. I do have a newer gas hot water heater. I always use a dryer, and I don't have a clothesline.
My previous house built in 1923 was heated with wood. I finally put in a gas furnace. It wasn't that expensive because they could use the existing duct work from the old wood furnace, and ran the heat upstairs through the old flu. The gas company piped the gas to the house for free, because I put in 3 gas appliances. (stove, furnace, dryer)
-- Edited on 8/15/12 8:12 PM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 8/15/12 8:20 PM

We used to live in a house that had wood heat. There were water pipes through the wood stove and water was preheated before going into the electric water heater. That saved quite a bit of money during heating season for heating water, is that ab option for you?

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10

In reply to Coconuts <<

Date: 8/15/12 10:33 PM

Quote: Coconuts
The energy graph thing for a 40 gallon electric water heater is $480-532, and that's for the cheapest model at Lowes, so I think you would save money, even with adding to your electrical system and buying the water heater.

Hhmmm, yes, that's what I'm beginning to think, too. My plumber said the same thing to me.
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 8/15/12 10:35 PM

Quote: Elona
We live in an area with extremely hard water, and for decades I have used cold water for everything. Clothes and linens come out fine, and it does save bucks. Do you absolutely have to use hot for some reason?

Well, I don't really "have" to use it for anything except showers. And that's mostly what it's going to, is showers. That's why I thought that perhaps I was spending too much. But then again, like I mentioned, my furnace guy said it sounded okay. But I keep hearing better things about electric....
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10

In reply to Michelle T <<

Date: 8/15/12 10:37 PM

Quote: Michelle T
We used to live in a house that had wood heat. There were water pipes through the wood stove and water was preheated before going into the electric water heater. That saved quite a bit of money during heating season for heating water, is that ab option for you?

You know, that sounds fascinating. But in my case just at the moment, I wouldn't have the money to re-convert to that; plus, when it's hot, there's no way we could have the wood stove going to heat the water. We don't have lots of summer time (mostly June/July - Sept is our warm time of year), but when it is warm, it's hot and humid. But thanks for the tip, because I'll keep it in mind just in case!
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 8/15/12 10:38 PM

Quote: diane s
In my area natural gas is less expensive than electricity.

I'll look into pricing around here! Thank you for the tip. I know a couple people who have natural gas (LP) for their gas stoves, so I will ask.
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<

Date: 8/16/12 0:11 AM

Quote:
Quote: diane s
In my area natural gas is less expensive than electricity.

Yes, gas appliances are normally quite a bit less expensive to operate. I have a gas water heater (rented), a gas stove, gas furnace, and a gas dryer (well, after almost 30 years it gave up the ghost on me, but I did have one). Running these things doesn't add much at all to your natural gas bill, but my hydro/electric bill is much less than most people's. I'm the only person living here, but still.

-- Edited on 8/16/12 0:13 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Am I paying too much to heat water?

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

Butterick B5211
photo
Review by andread on 6/1/10
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Bucket Hat Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Bucket Hat Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $4.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Surf's Up Board Shorts Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )
Peek-A Boo Surf's Up Board Shorts Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 7654
photo
Review by TJSEWS on 7/30/12
Read Review

You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern
You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern
Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6743 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
McCalls 6743 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1807 Pattern ( Size 16-18-20-22-24 )
Simplicity 1807 Pattern ( Size 16-18-20-22-24 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN