SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Brother 2340CV or Janome Coverpro 900 CPX ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother 2340CV or Janome Coverpro 900 CPX
Looking for More Detail
agympro
agympro
Member since 6/23/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/15/12 7:58 PM

Hi all- I posted something similar recently but didn't get too much feedback so I was hoping for a little more. I also found something with the Janome CP 900 CPX I didn't realize initially.

I thought the ONLY difference between the Janome 1000CPX and 900CPX was the option to use 3 needles instead of 2. But it looks like the 1000 will do a narrow stitch vs the 900 will not? And it looks as though the Brother 2340CV will also do a narrow stitch?

Also, I will be sewing strictly with spandex/lycra and I have read/gotten feedback that the Janome does fine with this material but have not found anything regarding spandex with the Brother 2340CV. Anyone have any experience with this?

Unfortunately, the Janome 1000CPX is out of my price range right now so its between the 900 CPX and 2340CV. Any experience is much appreciated!

MareeAlison
star
MareeAlison
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/6/05
Send Message

In reply to agympro <<

Date: 8/15/12 8:19 PM

Hi there - if you do a search for both these machines on the boards you will come across some very substantial info on the Janome - probably dozens if not hundreds of pages in fact and a bit less on the Brother.

I have the Brother and like it. I have had it for a few years and find it reliable, very untemperamental and easy to use. There is one thing that annoys most people about it but once you get used to it, to me it's not a problem. That is releasing the stitch when sewing in the round. You can sew off a straight bit of fabric with the Brother - some coverstitch machines you can't do this but if you're sewing, say, around the cuff of a sleeve that's already been joined it's a little more fiddly. I haven't tried this with another coverstich though so I can't compare.

I have never had any problems with skipped stitches with the brother whereas I've heard complaints from Janome users about this. The brother as you say does all three stitches. You can have 3 thread, 2 narrow or 2 wide.

It really is a personal choice though so the best thing to do would be to try both machines. I did this before buying and I'm happy with my choice. There are also a lot of happy Janome users out there too.

All you need to do is put 'Janome' or 'Brother 2340CV' in the search section, change the criteria from patterns to Boards and then search and you will get a HUGE amount of info. This has already been discussed a lot.
Brother

Janome

------
Maree - Sydney, Australia

agympro
agympro
Member since 6/23/12
Send Message

Date: 8/16/12 4:48 PM

Thanks for the links. It really does seem that both of those machines have their share of rave reviews and complaints. The only Brother dealer closer than 2 hrs to me does not have this machine in stock, in fact, did not even know that they made a coverstitch machine! The same place does have a Janome so perhaps I will go try it there and if I like it ok just go with that. I really wanted the option to do a narrow stitch, but I'm not really sure I would use that since I won't be doing anything with a very small area such as a strap.

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

Date: 8/17/12 0:49 AM

I bought the Brother about 2 months ago and love it. I had a combo machine that skipped and so I always check to see if the Brother has skipped and it has NEVER skipped once. I am so thrilled.

I use the narrow stitch all the time to hem the t shirts I make for myself. I used the wide for the first time today to hem my husband's polo shirt. I even use the narrow to hem neckline and armholes on my tank tops. It depends on what your needs are. I actually bought the Brother sight unseen but have spent many years sewing professionally and went by the high reccomendations on this site. I know how to remove the fabric at the end and didn't let that scare me. It's not hard, just takes a little practice like anything else new. Too bad you can't try the Brother.

agympro
agympro
Member since 6/23/12
Send Message

Date: 8/17/12 12:22 PM

Since I am pretty new to this I have no idea what a narrow vs standard stitch would be used for. Is there an advantage to the narrow other than using it for the small spaces such as straps that a standard stitch would not fit on? In looking at clothes, I did notice that many of my smaller knit shirts have narrow stitches vs my husbands which are much bigger and appear to have either a 5 or 6mm stitch. Is this just for decorative purposes?

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to agympro <<

Date: 8/17/12 8:37 PM

Quote: agympro
Is there an advantage to the narrow ....
Is this just for decorative purposes?

While it can be for decorative purposes (topstitching) in my experience the narrow coverstitch has a practical purpose. On fine and lightweight fabrics, especially knits, if you use the wide coverstitch the fabric can tunnel badly. Also on very stretchy fabrics you need a stitch with a lot of stretch. In both these cases a narrow coverstitch works well. HTH

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

agympro
agympro
Member since 6/23/12
Send Message

In reply to Sew4Fun <<

Date: 8/20/12 2:12 PM

Thank you everyone for the help. I am just so thankful for this site and everyone's knowledge and willingness to help!

Hmm, well since I plan to use it exclusively (for now) for lycra/spandex it sounds like a narrow stitch may be necessary for me. I don't think I can afford the Janome 1000 right now, and I also only have one Janome dealer within 2 hours of me and they do not keep one on the floor for testing, will order it for me though. They do have the 900 so I guess that would work the same way, minus the stitch option.

This same dealer is also the only Brother dealer within 2 hours of me and she had never even heard of the 2340cv until I told her about it and she looked it up. Again, none on the floor for testing. So it looks like I have no access to test EITHER true machine that I would like.

Sew4Fun, being a total beginner, do you feel like the removal process of the Brother would be difficult to learn with no one to help me in person? I'm intimidated by others reviews and frustrations with it, sounds like I might ruin my project. The dealers around here seem to scold you for internet purchases, and being that I can save $200 by purchasing the Brother online vs the dealer that knows nothing about it, I would be going that route and thus, would have no in person resources.

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

In reply to agympro <<

Date: 8/21/12 1:05 AM

I would recommend you go with the Brother. I think you'll need the narrow stitch based on what you'll be sewing and although it does have that hiccup at the end, it's really not hard to deal with at all!

Sew4Fun has a wonderful blog, where she shows in pictures and descriptive terms exactly how to remove the project from the brother without much hassle. It's a new technique, but it only took me a couple of tries and then I didn't even have to look at the instructions anymore. Those that complain about this issue are way too picky (IMHO) for a machine that is pretty inexpensive!

Why not purchase off the internet if your dealer knows nothing about the machine and can't offer you classes to take it and will probably charge you more to get it in than buying it online? I can't think of one good reason to purchase from them, especially if they don't even know their product lines well enough to know that Brother actually has TWO coverstitch machines!

Just my .02 cents from another Brother Coverstitch owner

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

agympro
agympro
Member since 6/23/12
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<

Date: 8/22/12 0:34 AM

Ok thank you! I have read your review on the machine and it gives me a little confidence knowing that you had no experience with a cs machine before and don't find this to be too hard. I taught myself to use the Brother serger so I'm hoping that helps. I think I'll go for the Brother, I would really like the narrow stitch. Thanks again!

Rtionnei
star
Rtionnei
Expert/Couture
New York USA
Member since 8/14/12
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 8:31 PM

i have both the brother and the janome 1000cpx. I got the overstitch machine because i, too have been sewing spandex/lycra and its hard to get a significant amount of stretch with just a sewing machine. I bought the brother and i liked it initially but now i don't so much. The brother will stop the stitch at the end of the material which may cause it to unravel. It is fine if you are going to serge those two ends of fabric together but if you are not then you will need to sew it by hand. It started to get jammed a lot for me and the stitches would begin to unravel at the top. Maybe i was doing something wrong but i didn't have any patience with the machine. Today i bought the janome 1000cpx. So far so good! it finishes the stitch and isn't complicated to thread. I suggest that if you do buy the brother , have patience. happy sewing.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Brother 2340CV or Janome Coverpro 900 CPX

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Simplicity 2166

photo
by: usbeckers

Review
Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.