SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Regular sewing vs embroidery thread...questions!!! ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Regular sewing vs embroidery thread...questions!!!
LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 8/18/12 1:45 AM

I need to pick some collective brains! Machine embroidery threads are totally new to me. When I did a straight-stitch design with regular Mettler Metrosene polyester sewing thread (top and bobbin), the stitch-out was just perfect. Even tension, solid lines...lovely!

I did the same design, first with Robison-Anton rayon and then with Metro poly embroidery threads, with a spooled Egyptian cotton bobbin thread wound on a bobbin; the stitches aren't as defined, and the design outlines aren't as sharp as they are with the regular sewing thread. On the Metro poly sample, the lines look more like dashes than solid lines, like they are with the regular thread.

The design itself is stitching out correctly, everything meeting up as it should on all 3 samples, but the individual straight stitches with the embroidery threads are not as nice as the regular sewing thread stitches.

Is this due to the nature -slippery and thinness- of embroidery threads compared to sewing thread? Is it the cotton bobbin thread causing trouble? I tried a prewound bobbin...not a pretty sight! My machine does not like them at all (and apparently most home machines don't?)

Am I just expecting too much for embroidery thread to straight-stitch as well as regular sewing thread? What else should I try?

Needle is 75 embroidery, fabric is cotton muslin. Ta for tips!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/18/12 3:07 AM

I have not had problems with prewound bobbins, but I'm using the fine polyester. Was your cotton on a pre-wound bobbin? I just started using pre-wounds with the CP--I had never used them before, and I'm very happy with them.

What were you stitching with the embroidery thread?

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33 <<

Date: 8/18/12 9:04 AM

Hey, I know you!

I did a maxi stitch, the poinsettia flower thingy.

After posting last night, I tried the Robisin-Anton that is on the spool, and it stitched the design perfectly, as good as the regular sewing thread, but prettier.

The Metro and RA I stitched with last night were on the mini cones...so it's a feeding issue from the cones? I used the thread stand attached to the back of the machine...the threads weren't tangling or catching on anything.

Now what?!

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33 <<

Date: 8/18/12 9:12 AM

Oops forgot about the bobbin stuff. Are we size L prewounds? I think my prewound problem was incorrect feeding issues with the top thread. The top thread, the Metro mini king, was so tight it pulled the prewound to the top. I tried a satin stitch and half the satin was bobbin thread.

The cotton is on a spool, I wound the bobbin.

I'll try the prewound again, but with the spool of RA rayon, and suspect it will be perfect.

So it appears my problem is with the mini cones and getting them to feed as nicely as the spooled rayon.

With the thread stand, I didn't use any felt on the base, just put the cone on, then the little cap, and thru the antenna thingy. From there straight to the first machine tension.

I tried a net, but the thread kept catching at the top of the net opening.

All user error, and Panzy's being very patient But we're not moving forward until I get a stitch as beautiful from the cones as I do from the spools!

------

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/18/12 9:51 AM

Quiltingwolf..formerly sewwolf is my main brain when it comes to all things emb..
Haven't had enough coffee in my IV this morning yet to pick what is left of my brain. but can advise you Lynn.. to go to our archives and read ALL you can find there about the adventures in emb.. There will be lots of other info there you will find interesting and useful too..
Other than that. will say .. as the owner of more than one brand of machine.. each one has its preferences.. One I do have okay results with the prewounds.. Wish I had your model for so many reasons.. but mostly right now so that I could dupe what you are using /doing and see exactly what I think might help.. Alas I don't have that PURPLE wonder.. but if you send me one.. I promise to help you asap..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/18/12 10:02 AM

Okay. will give you just a couple of beginners tips..

Don't USE emb thread for reg sewing.. or vice versa..

FIND the one or two or three brands that give you the best results.. and stick with those brands.. you can try out other brands. but buy new brands only one or two spools at a time.. then ditch them if they don't give good results.. This will help both you.. and the machine..

Don't try anything unusual or such like metallic threads until you know what is required in these applications. including which stabilizers and all work best with your chose thread.. Often time thread problems are blamed for what is really the wrong stabilizer or needle size ets..

Keep notes on which stabilizers.. which threads and which fabrics work well together. so you don't have to try a brain recall if you are off emb for a time period.. otherwise you will have to relearn it all again..

Print out any archive info you might find useful /helpful.. And those links to designs and such.

EMB is a learning experience.. don't get frustrated. there is a learning curve here. and a def one with a high dollar machine like you now own..

If you are having trouble.. revisit the obvious as you would if you were using your machine to sew with.. the needle might be dull. or you might need to rethread.. do the same with any issues as you might do if you were sewing garments when you emb.. User error cause common problems with common solutions when you do emb too.. Only when doing emb.. you have so many other things to check out.. thread and stabilizers play a big part in the success...

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/18/12 10:16 AM

Are you sewing or embroidering?

For embroidery designs you need embroidery bobbin thread. It is a lighter weight to purposely bring the top thread slightly to the back or bottom of the fabric.

Bobbins prewound for machine embroidery normally have 60wt thread and the spool is shorter than the standard class a/15 bobbin.

I use Neb brand embroidery bobbins for machine embroidery and on occasion have left this bobbin in for a unimportant short sewing session.

I also use a bobbin center pin to lift the prewounds that are shorter.

My embroidery/sewing machine also came with two bobbin cases. One for sewing and one for embroidery. The difference between the two is the tension.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/18/12 2:37 PM

Thanks everyone, the user error has been fixed. LOVE the stitch quality on this machine! This is Metro poly embroidery thread.

------

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/18/12 4:46 PM

Yes, it is L size for the prewounds.

Someone suggested putting a small piece of batting in the hole at the top of the silver thread stand for the metallic thread. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought I would to see if it helped with feeding the metallic. Might work for this use too.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/18/12 4:59 PM

Gargeoussss dahling!!!

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Regular sewing vs embroidery thread...questions!!!

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Other Itty Bitty Boxer Briefs

photo
by: Stacy Sews

Review
Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now
Simplicity 1945

photo
by: Zoomitron

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.