SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Help! Need a basic high-neck, short-sleeve, white RTW T-shirt. ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help! Need a basic high-neck, short-sleeve, white RTW T-shirt.
Why are so many BASICS so HARD to find?
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 8/18/12 1:10 PM

The Olsen twins introduced their The Row line to offer all the basic fashions you can never find (I don't know if they actually fulfill that goal but nevertheless...)

I am finding it impossible to locate

Basic white T-shirts:
-- high-ish neck
-- short-sleeves
-- all cotton
-- DECENT price

Anybody have an Internet or brick-and-mortar store source for these? Could be kids: I'd fit into a boys or girls large...

"HIGH-ISH neck"
I mean like this. Is this a crew neck?

Puleeze help meeeee...

j.

-- Edited on 8/18/12 1:16 PM --

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 8/18/12 1:26 PM

I was so frustrated trying to find decent quality t's that I now make all mine from the Pamela's Perfect T pattern...super easy to whip up.
And yes, that is considered a crew neck.
Hope you can locate some t's somewhere. I'm sure others will be along with some tips.

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

Date: 8/18/12 1:31 PM

Are you looking for the misses version? They have good quality and customer service here, at least. This one also comes in white.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36820?feat=504209-GN2&page=bean-s-tee-short-sleeve-crewneck

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/18/12 5:02 PM

Burda 7916 is a superb basic tee. The pattern contains versions for both men and women, and it goes together extremely quickly.

It has been reviewed here at pr.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/18/12 6:37 PM

I've even resorted to sewing my own basic tees, using XXXLarge men's tee shirts from Walmart or Target. Buy the biggest one you can find, wash the shirt, remove the neck ribbing, and cut out the shirt. If you want short sleeves, the large men's sleeves provide enough width and length for ladies sleeves to be cut from them. If you want long sleeves, buy a second shirt. Even the ribbing can be reused, and has the advantage of being an exact match. I like the less stretchy fabric used in RTW basic tee shirts, and it's hard to find it on the bolt.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 8/18/12 8:42 PM

I agree with LL Bean; also Lands' End or Eddie Bauer. A lot of manufacturers have moved to blends with lycra or thinner knits for women's sizes so that may be part of your issue. Also, maybe Sears or JC Penney? If you are small enough to be in kids sizes maybe one of those or a small men's size will give you what you want.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

Date: 8/18/12 10:39 PM

I have not ordered from them, so I can't attest to the quality, but A. S Tees makes basic T-shirts in a variety of colors that are made in the USA from cotton grown in the USA. They seemed to be pretty reasonably priced as well. You can order them on their website. I am not affiliated with them, not have I purchased any, I just came across them when looking for made in the USA items. :]

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

cocosloft
starstar
cocosloft  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/17/12
Send Message

Date: 8/19/12 8:09 AM

Michaels, ACMoore, JoAnns...about $3 each.

------
Coco

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 8/19/12 10:27 AM

I buy them from one-stop-plus.com and cut them to fit. Essentially, I'm buying fabric with prefinished necklines and sleeve hems...

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 8/19/12 11:40 AM

Men's ok? Cabela's basic might work. I got some for DH last year and the neck was almost too high for him.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Help! Need a basic high-neck, short-sleeve, white RTW T-shirt.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2013-122

photo
by: olgarosita

Review
You Sew Girl 200mm Glam Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Glam Purse Pattern

More Info
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Victory Lola Paper Pattern

More Info
Simplicity 2942

photo
by: Jemajyng

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.