SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > High Quality Designer Denim ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
High Quality Designer Denim
ekFitz
star
ekFitz
Advanced
Oregon USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 8/19/12 2:15 AM

I'm looking for a mid-weight, stretch, designer denim (similar to Seven for all Mankind, Citizens for Humanity, NYDJ (which are awesome, despite the name), etc.). Any sources? I've checked out Gorgeous Fabrics and Emma One Sock, but the selection is very limited. I want to stay away from fabric.com, since the quality is very inconsistent.

I'm willing to pay a decent price for this fabric, since I'll save tons of money over buying designer jeans, even if the price is $20/yd. However, I do prefer a deal. :)

Thanks!

------
My sewing blog - www.gravamenofthestitch.com

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 8/19/12 8:22 AM

Contact Michael or Sherri at Michael's fabrics. Ask them to send samples of the kind of denim you want, they are so nice and prices were pretty good when I was there (last fall).

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

In reply to ekFitz <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/19/12 9:17 AM

Try Marci Tilton. She carries alot of high end denim. She has started posting her new fabrics, so check with her off & on, as she has carried 7fam & other designers denim fabric in the past.

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

Seaspur
starstar
Seaspur
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 2/24/04
Send Message

In reply to ekFitz <<

Date: 8/19/12 10:18 AM

I got some great denim by Theory from Mood fabrics. Haven't checked their site lately, but they had lots when I ordered.

------
Yardage sewn in 2008: 12.75
Yardage bought in 2008: 12

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to ekFitz <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/19/12 1:30 PM

I just received a packet of denim samples from Mood. The ones by Marc Jacobs are really good quality. Minimal stretch, maybe 1 o2%. They do have denims with more stretch, but 1 or 2% seems to be the norm for the designer jeans I've seen.
What I like about the Jacobs fabrics, and btw they are made in Italy, was dark wash and smooth surface. They are crisp without being board like. I've bought a lot of denim lately, mostly cheap for making jeans muslins, and I found that a lot of the ones I got from Fabric.com weren't comparable. I did buy some gorgeous lightly stretch denim from Michael's but they haven't had any more on the site. It was Italian from Zegna I believe. You could email Sherry and ask if they have any at the moment.
I haven't washed the samples I liked yet, but my experience tells me that they will soften nicely. They are about mid weight.
I particularly like #300350, 300351, and for black washed, ie a true black, 300352, though the site calls this dark blue, It is most assuredly true black without a white or blue back that would show in the weave. 25193 is slightly lighter in weight, but nice.
#300348 is much less stiff than any I've seen. light end of mid weight. These are all about $10 a yard, though some are wider than others. They also have 3 or 4 Japanese denims but they are only 36" wide and no stretch and I wanted some minimal stretch which all the samples I ordered do have. Good luck. Since these cost me about $20 you might want to take a chance and order with a sample. I bought some Theory awhile back at the store and I like the Marc Jacobs better.
My favorites are 30050 and 30051
-- Edited on 8/19/12 1:32 PM --
-- Edited on 8/20/12 7:49 AM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Liz in Cville
star
Liz in Cville  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 5/28/11
online now
Send Message

In reply to ekFitz <<

Date: 8/19/12 1:43 PM

Also, if your quest is ongoing, don't forget to check back with EOS from time to time, as her inventory changes often.

I don't know much about denim, but I bought some "Frankie B." from her last year, FWIW.

Good luck!

ekFitz
star
ekFitz
Advanced
Oregon USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 8/19/12 5:20 PM

Thanks for all the ideas!

------
My sewing blog - www.gravamenofthestitch.com

momtoesther
star
momtoesther
Intermediate
Member since 2/13/11
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 8/19/12 9:51 PM

Quote: Nancy K
I just received a packet of denim samples from Mood. The ones by Marc Jacobs are really good quality. Minimal stretch, maybe 1 o2%. They do have denims with more stretch, but 1 or 2% seems to be the norm for the designer jeans I've seen.

What I like about the Jacobs fabrics, and btw they are made in Italy, was dark wash and smooth surface. They are crisp without being board like. I've bought a lot of denim lately, mostly cheap for making jeans muslins, and I found that a lot of the ones I got from Fabric.com weren't comparable. I did buy some gorgeous lightly stretch denim from Michael's but they haven't had any more on the site. It was Italian from Zegna I believe. You could email Sherry and ask if they have any at the moment.

I haven't washed the samples I liked yet, but my experience tells me that they will soften nicely. They are about mid weight.

I particularly like #300350, 300351, and for black washed, ie a true black, 300352, though the site calls this dark blue, It is most assuredly true black a white or blue back that would show in the weave. 25193 is slightly lighter in weight, but nice.

#300348 is much less stiff than any I've seen. light end of mid weight. These are all about $10 a yard, though some are wider than others. They also have 3 or 4 Japanese denims but they are only 36" wide and no stretch and I wanted some minimal stretch which all the samples I ordered do have. Good luck. Since these cost me about $20 you might want to take a chance and order with a sample. I bought some Theory awhile back at the store and I like the Marc Jacobs better.

My favorites are 30050 and 30051
-- Edited on 8/19/12 1:32 PM --

Thanks for the very detailed information!
Re Becca
starstarstar
Re Becca
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

Date: 8/19/12 10:32 PM

Thats great info from everyone.
I just got my jeans pattern down pat and I am looking for more denims myself. Most of mine are from EOS, I am one of her many stalkers, so good luck.

I will definitely check Moods. Their site could be more easy to navigate, but you can eventually get where you are going. Good to know that they are willing to send out samples.

I really envy those new colored denim jeans that you see everywhere, but I'm having a hard time finding any. I finally found some locally, but it doesn't have any stretch and it was pretty expensive. Does anyone know where I can get good colored denim with a little bit of stretch?

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
Member since 12/21/02
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 7:41 AM

Wow, Nancy, thanks for all that great information!

I agree that Mood is a pain to navigate. I think I read (Nancy, believe it was your blog?) that they are taking input to improve the site.

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
other artwork blogged here: http://robynjorde.com/blog/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> High Quality Designer Denim

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2012-151

photo
by: KAHooke

Review
THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Buy Now
Popolok Design Novo

photo
by: KateS

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.