SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > More free motion quilting ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
More free motion quilting
PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/20/12 1:56 AM

Ive been working on this quilt. Its been going slow - Im trying all types of new things. ive never cut and pieced blocks b-4. I know they are super simple.. but, here its is.

------
Quilting up a storm!

PortlandMaine
star
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 2:05 AM

I ripped out the line stitches on the edge -- I dont know what Ill put back there yet. Ill figure it out.

Oh, here is the quilt --

And this is what I did to the white parts.

Not the best or perfect -- but, best and perfect are not my goals. Pushing myself to do totslly new things to me is my goal.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 8/20/12 3:53 AM

Ok, not perfect, but pretty darn good. I love the impact of the red and white - this is one of the oldest and most beloved combinations in American quilting.

And, I wish my fmq were anywhere near as good as yours is. You have every reason to be pleased with this.

Let me ask you a question, for someone who has mostly quilted freehand up until now, how was your experience using a ruler and making more traditional blocks? Did you enjoy it, or did you feel as if you had to force yourself? Did it take longer than you thought? How did you decide on the design; did you have the whole quilt in mind before you started, or did you just put things together as you went?

ETA: typos
-- Edited on 8/20/12 3:54 AM --

------
Barb

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 7:44 AM

Your FMQ is exceptionally good for a beginner - I am just learning and nowhere as good as you. Good job.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 8:09 AM

You have an amazing eye for color and composition. Your stitching is excellent considering the size of the quilt and the size of your machine! Have you used one of those silicon mats that attaches to your machine for FMQ? I just got one and am astounded at how much easier it is to quilt.

Keep posting your quilts!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/20/12 11:02 AM

Love your happy companion....gotta have a pillow to sleep properly...love it!!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 11:12 AM

That you just jump in and DO it without angsting and fear puts you over the top in design, and with all the large quilting projects you do, the technique (which is already pretty darned good as someone else said! :)) will just keep getting better and better.....I find you an inspiration...I am losing patience with the projects I have that I have to do, and I want to just jump into one more quilt! :)
GO Portland!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

PortlandMaine
star
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 11:50 AM

Hey-- YAY! I woke up to fun stuff to read online! Thank guys.

Red and White quilts are one of my fave styles. And, I thought making one would help me stay interested in the project. Of course they are strip sets cut to size. They were not hard or too stressfull -- Ive finally been sewing long enough that I can use my roller and mat to cut even pieces. The fabrics are cotton sheets - so, I could tear the long strips. That made measuring easier.

I think part of whats taking so long is -- I ran out of strip sets after compleating that little box in the middle - and then had to figure out what to do next. I thought "Ive never done "on point" -- so I decided to try that with the center block.

Then, I hated it - and decicded I needed to bring in more of the pattern in a diff colorway - but, wanted more white stripes to keep it together. I hated doing it because I was so happy with the way everything was going -- I was afraid that I woul;d totally mess it up. The two tone brown strip sets around the edges somehow ended up the right size -- I have no idea how. That part was just a miracle. I did have to ease in about 1 inch on each edge, though.

Then came the FMQ patterns - Ive never done the (is it called) figure 8's before. So .. those are new for me. I have used 2 threads through the needle for ALL of the FMQ work.

I have not used a supreame slider -- or the like .. but, I DO have it on my list of things to try. For this project I did not use the feed dog cover plate while I was FMQ - I liked the way it made there be a little more room for the quilt to move around under the hopper foot.

I did use a new cotton batting in this quilt that is a reason why I wanted to do so much tight quilting - and wanted to use 2 threads to make the quilting lines really show.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 1:34 PM

I LOVE the red and white center!

Love the FMQ too!

I just tried doing a meandering pattern with no drawn lines, I think they call it stippling. I HAVE to have smaller shapes to work within, or I get lost. The one I did was only 4.25" wide.

I am getting less and less frustrated with FMQ, but I still can't say I really love it.

You are definitely an inspiration!

------
Cathryn

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 1:58 PM

Wonderfully done! I love the quilts and FMQ!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> More free motion quilting

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Burda 7252

photo
by: lauramae

Review
New Look 6648

photo
by: facesunder...

Review

Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

More Info
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.