Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Elna Supermatic flywheel only moves manually ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Elna Supermatic flywheel only moves manually
Don't know why...please help.
Aprilrose76
Aprilrose76
Member since 7/31/12
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/20/12 1:58 PM

Hi All,
this is my first post here. I've got a beige Elna Supermatic that I'm ready to throw on the ground. When I first got it, I knew the friction pulley needed to be replaced. So I've done that and the machine has been cleaned and oiled and made all pretty again.

My problem now is that the flywheel will not engage with the pulley. I think. The flywheel moves the needle just fine manually, but when I plug it in and press the knee bar, nothing is happening. When I take the flywheel off and press the knee bar, the shaft where the flywheel goes doesn't move.

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts, and this is my backup machine. I'm waiting on a new to me Bernina 530 and it can't get here soon enough!

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give me!

April in TX

DreinPA
starstar
DreinPA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 4/5/06

In reply to Aprilrose76 <<

Date: 8/20/12 5:31 PM

I know nothing of Elnas but it hints at an electrical problem.
Check all plugs and wiggle connections to see if something is crimped.

------
Don't confuse accessibility with ease; just because anybody can pick up a needle and thread doesn't mean sewing quality garments is easy.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

Date: 8/20/12 5:35 PM

So stupid question, here....

I remember (circa 1970) that my mom's machine's knee mechanism would be used to start/control speed/stop the needle.

When, in time, did the use of the knee gizmo evolve into being used to lift the presser foot?

(40 year gap there in my head! lol)

------
My projects (and life and times!) are on www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger
APQS George ... oh heck... go Millie!

2014: Sold the 7700 to make room for a 5.5mm machine alongside side my Ellie.
2013: Wow.. no real new toys - too much family drama!!!!
2012: New Elna Lotus for granddaughter, Red Elna Press, Horizon 7700, Gidget 2 Table, Babylock Ellisimo Gold
1970's: Elna SU62 & ElnaPress

Aprilrose76
Aprilrose76
Member since 7/31/12

Date: 8/20/12 6:01 PM

I'll check the connections. I know I cleaned some residue out of the plug well but the actual cord looks good. I'll go look over it again. After my children go to bed I'll try easing the motor out of the machine and see if there is anything on it at all.

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 8/20/12 7:06 PM

Quote: RipStitcher
So stupid question, here....

I remember (circa 1970) that my mom's machine's knee mechanism would be used to start/control speed/stop the needle.

When, in time, did the use of the knee gizmo evolve into being used to lift the presser foot?

(40 year gap there in my head! lol)

there were treadle powered machines with a knee lift, which predate the use of power to run the machine. So it's the knee lift that, for a brief period, was misappropriated for running the machine.
dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09

Date: 8/20/12 7:09 PM

I'm confused by your post. By flywheel, you mean the wheel that's directly connected to the shafts that move the needle? Or do you mean some thing attached to the motor?

How is the motor connected to the machine? A belt? A little rubber wheel? direct drive?

Does the machine make the right whiring noise when you press the not-pedal? Or is it dead silent? Make some strange noise?

Aprilrose76
Aprilrose76
Member since 7/31/12

Date: 8/20/12 7:37 PM

Yes, by flywheel, I mean the wheel that drives the needlebar mechanism.

There is a friction pulley that is connected to the motor that rests against the flywheel and turns it which in turn, moves the needlebar.

I had to replace the friction pulley, so that part is brand new. But this was happening before I replaced that part.

The motor sounds great, better since I replaced the rubber pulley part. There is a belt in there also, but it's in really great shape also.

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/10/05

Date: 8/21/12 10:48 PM

There's a Yahoo Elna group that has some very knowledgeable people on it - people who pull the machines apart and fix the innards regularly. The group is called "Elna Heirloom Sewing Machines". You might want to join that to get some in-depth help. Just reading the archives of the group you may find the answer to your problem.

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 8/22/12 0:18 AM

Quote: RipStitcher
...I remember (circa 1970) that my mom's machine's knee mechanism would be used to start/control speed/stop the needle....When, in time, did the use of the knee gizmo evolve into being used to lift the presser foot?

Two totally different mechanisms here. Knee operated controllers on portable machines were one way to prevent a foot controller from getting lost, or from skidding across the floor when one was trying to sew. In cabinet mounted machines, often a foot control was inserted into a bracket in the cabinetry, and a knee operated lever acted on the controller buttons or pedal. With the controller part of the cabinet, it was one less thing on the floor to worry about when moving the cabinet, or cleaning underneath it. I think all makers have been using foot controllers for at least the past 40 yrs.

Knee operated presser foot lifters have been common on most industrial machines since the late 19th century. In industrial sewing, speed=money, and time/money can be saved by having a hands-free method to raise the foot and reposition the work. It was a concept slow to be adapted to home sewing, where speed is seldom a concern. Lots of features were common in industrial sewing decades before they appeared on home machines - reverse, zig-zag, buttonholes, serging....I think Bernina was the first to introduce knee lifts, maybe in the 1960s or 1970s on their TOL models. Other makers were very slow to embrace the idea, and some still might not offer it.

Jennifer in Calgary
NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11

Date: 8/22/12 2:37 AM

I second Vireya's suggestion of the Elna Heirloom Yahoo group. I have 3 old Elnas and they've been able to help with several problems.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Elna Supermatic flywheel only moves manually

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Online Sewing Classes
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

ModKid Patterns nina nina
photo
Review by Saint Nolt... on 11/5/10
Read Review

Maria Denmark Paula Pleat Skirt Digital Pattern
Maria Denmark Paula Pleat Skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.90
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Cathy Top and Dress Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Cathy Top and Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Onion 5038
photo
Review by Sew Little... on 3/6/07
Read Review

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victory Lola Paper Pattern
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2331 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Simplicity 2331 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 7167 Pattern
Burda 7167 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN