SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > The Ultimate Work Wear Closet ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
The Ultimate Work Wear Closet
(got this from YouLookFab forums)
marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/20/12 6:01 PM

Ultimate Workwear Closet

Wow! Each look seems so different but they're based on the same 14 pieces (and two of them are shoes).

I love these looks (not sure if I could pull them off but I really like them). The wrap dress is just amazing.

-- Edited on 8/20/12 7:13 PM --

------
Mary

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 2:00 AM

That's it...I am going back to work so I can wear those clothes!

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to marec <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/21/12 9:48 AM

I'm eating salad for the next 6 months so I can wear them!

Seriously though I'm working through the combinations substituting pieces that are more age (and body shape) appropriate for me.

eta: I'm thinking about pairing a denim jacket over the dress cause DH said he'd feel like we were in a business meeting if I wore that blazer. (And I'm thinking "with that cleavage? really???")

Can anyone suggest a pattern for the cream knit pants?
-- Edited on 8/21/12 10:35 AM --

------
Mary

pfaffkj

pfaffkj
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 7/28/05
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 10:35 AM

I saw that wrap dress on TV a week or so ago -- no clue what the show was, but I did yell "I want that" at the screen.

Edited to add: Ummmm NO! I just went to the website. Much as I love the dress, I'll not be spending $255 for it! Darn. . . . .
-- Edited on 8/21/12 10:39 AM --

------
Karen

Yards in stash: I don't want to know!
2013 yards sewn: 1
2013 yards bought: 5

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 11:19 AM

Karen, this one is close enough for me!

-- Edited on 8/21/12 11:20 AM --

------
Mary

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 8/21/12 11:33 AM

I just wish they would call this "office wear" or something. I am willing to bet that most of us here who work cannot wear this to work!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 8/21/12 11:48 AM

When I first saw this, I started to dismiss it since I'm no longer in the workforce.

But the more I thought about it, it's more like Tim Gunn's basic list.

I still need a suit (at least I think I do!) I also need a pretty dress. The pants, tops, and trench coat all combine in ways that look "smart casual" to me. I could see myself wearing all these pieces (well not with the skinny twenty something vibe) around town and out with DH for dinner.

The trench is a huge gaping hole in my closet. I need a coat like that and I love the color. It's a pop of color that would be nice for fall.

I admit the suit is the last thing on my list but don't we all need one? For now, my trusty denim jacket is going to stand in for the jacket. I like the way it looks over a v neck top so I think it could look good over a dress.

------
Mary

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 12:09 PM

In parts of my county, denim jacket + jeans = suit. So, you're okay

The only problem with such a basic colour capsule wardrobe is that it can look too much like Flight Attendant. It's not so much the bottoms (doesn't the entire world wear black pants?), it's the plain style of the tops as they try to multitask.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 8/21/12 12:15 PM

I think you are on the right track with the denim jacket. I like the idea of a serious piece of clothing made fun when paired with an unexpected piece.

I also need a "serious" dress. I had to go to Target to get a dress to wear to my stepmom's funeral (I was camping 3 states away from my home) and it occurred to me that I had no office attire/meeting with the IRS/court clothes.

The trench? I did buy one last year because...they are always on a list. I live in the high desert. If it rains, it is a thunderstorm and I stay inside. I did haul the stupid coat on the plane to Mexico and never wore it.

Are you going to do the mini wardrobe contest or sew along?

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 12:38 PM

Thank you for the encouragement!

No contest but I should do the sew along. I've been watching that thread but couldn't get any ideas together. A sew along pushes me and I really need that. Honestly I'm still trying to get to the point that I can sit down and sew something that i feel comfortable wearing in public.

Funerals, important business appointments (our accountant does call us from time to time), and unexpected dressy occasions do me in. I hate being pushed into buying something that's just a compromise because there's no time. My last winter coat was like that - it was a terrible coat for the money but it cold really cold unexpectedly.

Tim Gunn's list is a great one but in some ways, it was stodgy. This grouping seems fun and just a little more doable if that makes sense. I made a list and i'm looking for patterns for the shirts, pants, skirt, and dress. I have a stack of Burda magazines and I have a feeling I'll do well there.

How about you mare?

------
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> The Ultimate Work Wear Closet

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Butterick 4609

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Vogue Patterns 7854

photo
by: lamstu

Review
Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.