SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Hey sewing machine gurus! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hey sewing machine gurus!
Got a question for ya
Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 7:23 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I am humbly asking your opinion. I have two domestic machines that do zigzag and both of them are giving me giref. One is Brother and it has inbuilt bobbin case, and bottom thread tension can not be adjusted. It pulls the bottom thread like crazy and causes the zigzag to tunnel. Another machine is Singer traditio. It sews lovely zigzag for about 10 cm, then it skips a stitch, stops dead and tangles the bottom thread. Yes, I have checked the bobbin case and surrounding places for stray threads and I have changed a needle, bobbin, thread, etc... Have you had anything like this? Is this tangling easy to fix or shall I get rid of them both and get a better domestic? And if so, which domestic is reliable, heavy and recommended?

Thank you :)

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 8/20/12 7:26 PM

The common opinion around here is to use these problems to justify going and getting a new one.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 7:40 PM

I can imagine why, just called a sewing machine repair place to be told that they charge a flat rate of $99 plus parts. Singer cost me $200.

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 8/20/12 7:45 PM

I don't think either machine is going to serve your purposes very well unless you just like to mend, etc...then it might be fine to get it serviced. What would be your budget? I particularly like the Janome HD1000 and HD3000 for a quality basic machine. If you buy gently used from a dealer, you can get more for your $$ and usually a bit of warranty also.

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent <<

Date: 8/20/12 7:56 PM

Quote: sewfrequent
I don't think either machine is going to serve your purposes very well unless you just like to mend, etc...then it might be fine to get it serviced. What would be your budget? I particularly like the Janome HD1000 and HD3000 for a quality basic machine. If you buy gently used from a dealer, you can get more for your $$ and usually a bit of warranty also.

I have an industrial plainsewer Juki which is my primary machine, but I sew buttonholes and occasionally need a zigzag function for lingerie sewing. So I am prepared to pay for a reliable machine.

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Lena Merrin <<

Date: 8/20/12 8:40 PM

Try checking to see if there is a nick in your bobbin. Sometimes they get scratched and hold the thread for a brief moment. I had this problem with my Touch and Sew bobbins; there was a nick near the edge of the bobbin.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
online now
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 8/20/12 9:06 PM

I had once had a problem with just ONE flaky bobbin. Visiting a friend out of state and sewing on her machine, most of the time I had no problem, but ONE nasty bobbin would give me fits.

It took me awhile to figure it out - that one specific bobbin was the problem. There was nothing obviously different about that bobbin. I'm sure there was a nick or it was bent (metal) or something, but it wasn't anything that I could see with the naked eye.

Once I identified the culprit bobbin, I dropped it in the garbage and had no more problems.

CMC

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to Lena Merrin <<

Date: 8/20/12 9:13 PM

Quote: Lena Merrin
Ladies and gentlemen, I am humbly asking your opinion. I have two domestic machines that do zigzag and both of them are giving me giref. One is Brother and it has inbuilt bobbin case, and bottom thread tension can not be adjusted. It pulls the bottom thread like crazy and causes the zigzag to tunnel. Another machine is Singer traditio. It sews lovely zigzag for about 10 cm, then it skips a stitch, stops dead and tangles the bottom thread. Yes, I have checked the bobbin case and surrounding places for stray threads and I have changed a needle, bobbin, thread, etc... Have you had anything like this? Is this tangling easy to fix or shall I get rid of them both and get a better domestic? And if so, which domestic is reliable, heavy and recommended?

Thank you :)

Are you sure the brother's bobbin tension is not adjustable? Every machine with a drop in bobbin I've worked on has had a removable bobbin case, though some are hard to do, and an adjustment for tension. I've not looked at the really low end machines though.

I second the suggestion to look at the bobbin thread path. A nick on the bobbin, the bobin case, or the hook can also cause skipped stitches. So can a bad needle.
RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/20/12 9:48 PM

OK...

All humorous sarcasm aside, , have you tried messing with the top tension to equalize the problem?

Sincerely,

RipStitcher - who is deathly afraid to screw with things like bobbin tension!

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

horsegirl

horsegirl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/18/07
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 8/20/12 10:00 PM

I echo that phobia, Ripstitcher! Messed around with that once and ended up with a big repair bill. Never again!

------
My Years of Sewing Fearlessly

Babylock Decorator's Choice
Babylock Quilter's Choice
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock Imagine
Babylock Coverstitch
Singer 500a "Rocketeer"
Janome 673
Elna Lotus SP
Singer 27 treadle
Singer 99

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Hey sewing machine gurus!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

No Pattern Used Reversible Dress

photo
by: CAgirl

Review
Vogue Patterns 8668

photo
by: Ellenatlga

Review
Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.