SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Confused as to what to buy! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Confused as to what to buy!
basylica
basylica
Intermediate
Member since 4/9/07
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 11:07 AM

I fell in love with janome hello kitty machine (lol) and while I don't think I will keep it finally caved and bought it to check out. I hadn't planned on buying a new primary machine until I started researching the HK machine. LOL.

Currently own a bernette (bought before I knew better) I paid about 400 bucks for I believe around 7 years ago now?

I sew almost exclusively knits (boxers, pjs, shirts, etc for 8 and 5yr old boys) and generally only use overedge/stretch stitches, triple step zigzag, and on rare occasions zigzag and straight stitches.

I dislike the reverse lever on my bernette (above the needle which requires a funny movement) and the machine seriously rocks and rolls when I put the pedal to the metal, which is the only way I sew.
I had a disasterous trip to a janome shop, and poked my head in briefly at a bernina dealer.

I own several vintage machines (singer 500, necchi SN, etc) and I just bought a brother serger. I really want a heavy sturdy sewing machine that will DO stretch stitches if needed, and the usual basic ones.
I've yet to make a buttonhole ever, so that isn't a huge concern.
I prefer mechanical machines, as I enjoy the methodical nature of sewing. I don't want to take all that away! I also drive stick...lol.

I am considering janome HD1000, bernina 1008, bernina 930, pfaff select 4/3, viking Hclass E20, ummm...

honestly the thought of spending 500 bucks makes me want to break out in hives, but I think thats probably my price point on a new machine.

I know most of you have higher end machines, but i'd love any advice! seems like trying out the "lower end" machines is fairly difficult since most of the local places won't stock them... and i'm not brand loyal right now. I live in DFW metroplex so I have several stores available to me right now.

------
Shan - Incredibly nerdy mom to 2 boys Corran (8) and Quinn (5)
Sewing on -
Bernette 65, janome 18522 Hello Kitty!, Brother 1034D serger, Singer Rocketeer 501, Necchi Lydia 544, Necchi Supernova M2

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to basylica <<

Date: 8/21/12 11:58 AM

From my own experience you end up spending more on lower end sm because they will need repairs & /or you end up buying another sm because they are too expensive to be repaired. ... sad but this seems to be the case.

IMO $500 is allot of money for sure. Have you thought at all about the Janome Magnolia ? It has good reviews. I used it at sewing classes & that seems to be one sturdy sm. .... in Hindsight I wish I would have went ahead & bought one over a year ago.
Just a thought.
To add; I was referring to the mechanical 7318, & it has a 4 step buttonhole for making he larger buttonholes. Sorry I was not more clear.
-- Edited on 8/22/12 8:42 AM --

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/21/12 12:52 PM

For a 500 budget you can get a lovely Janome 2012, which has more stitches than the Magnolia, and isn't all painted up with flowers, or a Janome 3050, which has a few nice touches as well, and that 3050 is a tried and proven good machine over the years it has been out. If you are shopping in a dealer's there are other choices as well. If you are shopping online, take your time, read about the machines, and read reviews of the dealers as well.

If you are shopping locally, don't forget the other dealers, as there are very nice Brothers and Vikings that may be in your budget, and possible Babylock has a model or two.

Myself, after all the machines I have purchased in the last 7 years, I would recommend going for the Janome 3050 (50 stitches and handy selection buttons), or if you really need the stop/start, the Magnolia 7330 (30 stitches).

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 1:54 PM

There are so many people on here with great advice when it comes to talkin' about the <$1000 machines!

If you want to enjoy buying new (and I totally "get it" if you do!) then I'd be looking at the machines that everyone mentions here.

BUT... if it were me and I was limited to $500... I'd be all over Craigslist looking for some machine worth about $1,500 - $2,000 new that someone is letting go of for about that $500.

People start out in this level machine and sometimes simply want to upgrade within months of finding out how fun that new quilting, home dec, or garment-building hobby truly is - and that situation makes for a screamin' deal on a like-new machine on CL.

Just a thought...
-- Edited on 8/21/12 2:02 PM --

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

cleverkitty
starstarstar
cleverkitty
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 8/22/07
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 2:06 PM

RipStitcher is so right craigslist is the way to go for fantastic prices, if you don't know what to buy research reviews, most new machines are now made in China. Ebay is another place to find almost any model, the old Vikings are excellent. I use to sell sewing machines and would not buy new any more.
-- Edited on 8/21/12 2:08 PM --

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 2:47 PM

I'm starting to feel like Cleverkitty on this one, too.

I **love** new, shiny objects... but if what you're looking for is a great machine for just sewing tasks, you could really, really score on CL.

The right seller is already going to tell you who (locally) has been servicing the machine, etc. And you could meet at a sewing repair shop to have them check out the machine before you lay out the $$. (I've bought lots of cell phones off of CL - and I meet the seller at Sprint to make sure the phone has got a clear ESN before the money changes hands).

I buy all of my Apple notebook computers (there have been 4) off of CL for the past 8 years and I've saved thousands and gotten equipment that was basically brand new.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

basylica
basylica
Intermediate
Member since 4/9/07
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 9:52 PM

Seems like cl I'd be looking at vintage or cheap computerized brothers.

I *want* a mechanical. Id pay more for one actually, same as my cars. Irritates me what few cars are avail as stick, and always base with no options!

I'm looking at each brand and finding usually only one mech machine. I want something heavy duty and does stretch stitches, but I use maybe 5 of my current machines stitch library, and purrs and makes my bernette look like a toy!

------
Shan - Incredibly nerdy mom to 2 boys Corran (8) and Quinn (5)
Sewing on -
Bernette 65, janome 18522 Hello Kitty!, Brother 1034D serger, Singer Rocketeer 501, Necchi Lydia 544, Necchi Supernova M2

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to basylica <<

Date: 8/21/12 10:11 PM

Go vintage, then! I'm partial to Bernina, but Pfaff, Kenmore, and other brands made suitable machines. Janome still makes affordable mechanicals with a variety of stitches.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

horsegirl

horsegirl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/18/07
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 8/21/12 11:45 PM

Rip stitcher, you are a shopping zen master! Craigslist here in southeast Michigan is the most depressing list of garage and barn sewing machine debris. Or I am the most clueless huntress in these parts....

------
My Years of Sewing Fearlessly

Babylock Decorator's Choice
Babylock Quilter's Choice
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock Imagine
Babylock Coverstitch
Singer 500a "Rocketeer"
Janome 673
Elna Lotus SP
Singer 27 treadle
Singer 99

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to basylica <<

Date: 8/21/12 11:47 PM

Well, I would definitely look at the Janome HD3000. It is today's version of a very sturdy popular run of Janomes over the years - all mechanical with a few nice electronic touches. It is full sized, nice looking and well made. Top loading bobbin, and will probably sew whatever you need. It's $349 online right now, so must be under 500 at a dealer's or at least it should be. Try some of the mechanicals out. The Bernina 1008 is a good machine, but about 1000.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Confused as to what to buy!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2012-155

photo
by: sewinfranc...

Review
You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

Buy Now
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Buy Now
Simplicity 4403

photo
by: French.Sea...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.