SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Need detachable collar tutorial! ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need detachable collar tutorial!
New Vogues showing 2 patterns! I'd like to learn!
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 1:16 PM

The new Vogue patterns feature 2 with instructions for detachable collars:

Vogue 1318

Vogue 8841

I don't really care for the patterns, but I thought about buying them just for the detachable collar instructions. I tried searching for a tutorial on detachable collars. They all give instructions for a "free floating" collar. It seems to me, the collar should have an extension that tucks under the collar of the garment you're wearing. See here -- the collar in V1318 seems to have a 1" wide extension to it to tuck under your neck --

Can you help?

j.

-- Edited on 8/21/12 2:18 PM --

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 1:29 PM

Casey Brown made a small one, but you could always use a shawl collar pattern piece.

Another one that also links to Casey's as a different design.
-- Edited on 8/21/12 1:30 PM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 8/22/12 3:44 AM

That one does sort of look like that, but that may mean there are buttons along the back neck line and it might mean there are still buttons on that back neck line (sticking up?) after the collar is on there too. I like the idea of detachable collar, but often the fastening of them, leaves something to be desired, particular if button on, if you have long hair, and long enough to get all tangled and wrapped around the buttons. I do have a few coats like that with a detachable collar or even detachable hood, but tend to not wear that part and even remove any buttons on the back of the collars of the main garment sometimes because of that. So if you think that might be an issue, maybe try some way to get around that? Not sure what that could be though? Velco does not really sound any more comfortable either.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 3:59 AM

On "real fur" collars, most often (at least my more "retro ones" from the 1920's to 1950's) on mine, they are most often lined with a quilted satin kind of lining. I used to collect some of those from the second hand stores, if fox or raccoon or such. You can just actually hand baste those onto a garment, over another existing collar, and then if you change your mind, just remove them and use them on something else, or undo the basting and re-baste after washing or dry cleaning the item too, and that seems to work pretty good.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 8:29 AM

If I have time later today, I'll take some photos of the detachable faux fur collar of a coat I have that looks a lot like the first Vogue. Maybe seeing the construction "in real life" will help. :)

------
~Gem in the prairie

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 8/22/12 9:54 AM

Oh, Sister Stir, that would be great!

j.

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 8/23/12 4:44 PM

Men's shirts used to have detachable colors (and some fancy ones still do), with button holes on both pieces. Studs, which are basically two buttons with a stick between, as used on tuxedo shirts, were used to attach the collar to the shirt. No collar on, no buttons. You could probably adapt the pattern to that, if it specifies buttons to be left on the back of the coat.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to dscheidt <<

Date: 8/23/12 6:13 PM

But then with no collar on, you'd kinda see these blank buttonholes around your neck, right?

I'd like to get a look at this. I'll try searching for a fancy shirt that has this feature.

j.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 3:09 PM

Ok! I have pictures!

Here's what it looks like with the collar attached:

And here's the collar piece itself. It has a 1" flange made of the jacket lining fabric, with 5 buttonholes along it.

The buttons are inside the neck facing (not on the collar itself). I think it's interesting they chose to use clear buttons! (The buttons on the jacket are covered with self fabric.)

You can see the fur collar is slightly larger overall than the plain collar of the jacket. But with this technique, I think you could easily add a fur collar to ALL your coats!

HTH!
-- Edited on 8/24/12 3:09 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 8/24/12 3:36 PM

Sister Stir, I cannot thank you enough for the pix. Each one = 1,000 words!

Just flipping super. I can even see how the detachable collar is tapered at the ends to minimize the underside showing through at the front of the garment.

You = peach!

j.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Need detachable collar tutorial!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Ottobre Design Magazine 01-2012-21

photo
by: kidmd

Review
Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

More Info
Victory Ava Paper Pattern

Victory Ava Paper Pattern

More Info
Vogue Patterns 8408

photo
by: mimi g.

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.