SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Superior Masterpiece changing from 2-ply to 3-ply ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Superior Masterpiece changing from 2-ply to 3-ply
Am I the only one who is disappointed?
TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 8:36 PM

"MasterPiece was originally a #50/2-ply thread. Even though the fibers are the absolute highest quality extra-long staple Egyptian-grown cotton, #50 is a fine thread and when two strands are twisted together, the result is still a fine thread. It is not intended to be a high-strength thread, but a fine, delicate, blending thread. Because sewing machines are being factory set with increasingly tighter tension, unless one overrides the auto-tension feature and manually loosens the top tension, many machines will break a #50/2-ply cotton. On most home machines, we recommended setting the top tension to 2.0 when using a #50/2-ply cotton such as MasterPiece. Getting that word out has been difficult. We realized it would be easier to strengthen the thread than to educate the world, so over a year ago we started the process of changing MasterPiece from a 2-ply to a 3-ply cotton. The newer 3-ply MasterPiece is marked as #50/3 on the label and is a stronger thread but not much heavier than the original 2-ply type because we put a nice, even, tight twist on it. The new 3-ply type does not require much tension adjusting."

I liked the original Masterpiece for piecing, it was a nice fine thread for accurate piecing.

Has anyone here had trouble with it breaking? My machines all like it.

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 8:48 PM

I use it for bobbin thread when quilting anything - if it is now going to be stronger (and Bob says it is!) then it will likely make a really nice top thread as well - I shouldn't wonder! I love Masterpiece and have used it when using King Tut/C&C Variegated/C&C Cotton on top at different times of course. Always the Masterpiece in the bobbin makes for great stitching.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 8/21/12 8:54 PM

I'm sure it's stronger, but my concern is the "not much thicker" part. For quilting it probably won't matter, but I like a very fine thread for piecing.

Aurifil still makes a 50 wt/2-ply and I think I have some. I'll have to compare.

------
Tess

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 8/21/12 9:00 PM

They have already done it. I went to my thread box as soon as I read this post and looked for the oldest spool of Masterpiece I could find and then a spool I bought this summer at VQF. there is a very slight difference. I have been piecing with Masterpiece for many years now and I have never had it break. I have even used it in machine quilting. Sigh!

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 9:03 PM

I have a spool of Presencia and Aurifil and sometimes use them for piecing. They compare very much to the original Masterpiece.

------

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 8/21/12 9:06 PM

There's still some left Masterpiece 2-ply.

------
Tess

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 8/21/12 9:07 PM

Do you use the 50 wt Presencia or the 60 wt? I have looked at the 60 wt and wondered if it would be strong enough...

------
Tess

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 9:54 PM

I have quilted with Masterpiece and never had it break. I piece exclusively with Aurifil which I love to bits and which also doesn't break. I am sure that the Superior people know what is happening in the industry, but I only can report my own experience.

------
Barb

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 8/21/12 10:14 PM

Quote: Franksdottir
I am sure that the Superior people know what is happening in the industry, ...

Well that's the thing, most of you probably have noticed that I am a cynic and always add a grain of salt to what's being said by someone who's selling me something. Even corny old Bob.

I just can't help but wonder if it's the longarmers that are having a problem with the 2-ply, as that seems to be the business they are aiming at most of the time. I was just wondering if any of us had breakage problem with the Masterpiece 2-ply on a regular sewing machine because I never have... Seems like for us they fixed something that wasn't broke...

------
Tess

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 8/21/12 10:14 PM

No problem with the Presencia. I started using it last winter because it came on a cross wound spool and my 240 seemed to like it. Nice accurate 1/4 inch seams. I have never tested it for quilting yet and doubt that I will because I like Masterpiece so much. I had heard good things about the Presencia for years but never found it locally until recently. I have a half an artbin case of Masterpiece... I am not really making a change but wanted to test other brands. I have only one spool of Presencia and one Aurifil. Aurifil is nice and I like it well enough but it is more expensive that Masterpiece.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Superior Masterpiece changing from 2-ply to 3-ply

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

More Info
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.