SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Info needed.please ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Info needed.please
service on a Janome 6600
ReRe1
ReRe1
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 12/12/06
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 3:43 AM

Hello,
I have a janome memorycraft 6600 that I had loaned out and they had placed it in a storage shed. When I got it back, It had rusted around the part that goes up and down and above the dual feed foot. A little spring fell out where the dual feed foot is right above so it would need fixing also.The pressor foot won't raise up. It is like it is froze in place. The rust isn't really that bad looking from what I can tell. The computer part is working fine but when I push the start button it tells me it isn't safe to contine or something to that effect. I know it is saying that because it is froze up. The computer goes to all the settings it has when you tell it to so it appears to be ok. At this point I don't know what it will cost to fix it. We have been thru so much lately that money is in short supply. I'm thinking about putting it on ebay to sell for parts or someone to get it fixed. I think the machine is probably worth fixing. I paid about $1800.00 for it new when I bought it several yrs ago. What do you think would be a good price to sell it for? I would love to get it fixed but am afraid it would be more than I can do right now. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

------
ReRe1

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to ReRe1 <<

Date: 8/22/12 4:42 AM

That is a tough question. I think I could actually buy one used from someone, for less than $500 or $600 even. With no rust and still working fine too. But people tend to sell anything and everything on ebay, and they don't even have to set a price at all, they just throw it up there. And the fact that people bid on something instead, lets things find more their own price- just sort of how an auction works. I think the fact that it is actually rusted, and you can even see that on the outside, and seized up and frozen up with actual rust and is also computerized and now just actually inoperable the way it is, is going lead anyone to wonder how much it is rusted inside though. and what else other than just rust might be wrong with it even, (because some other things could also make it say it's not going to work, not just rust at all) and especially without taking the covers off and showing pictures of it inside it, so anyone could even see what might look like inside there.

I think you might be better off taking to some place that offers a free estimate on what it might cost to have something fixed or if it is even worth trying to fix it, and then trying to decide what to do with it after that maybe. At least that way, you would more know, everything that might be effected.

I had some sewing machines stored in a shed at my house for years and years, they all fared just fine, except for one old Sears Kenmore one, that actually ended up being right under a drip in the roof. That one actually rusted out so bad, I just tossed it. So maybe depends if just a slightly humid enviroment, or in a wet and water dripping into it place also.

ReRe1
ReRe1
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 12/12/06
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 5:17 AM

I don't have a clue around here if anyone works on these. Where I bought it sold out and the new owners do more shipping it to Janome for anything major. I don't want to have to pay shipping along with everything else. They do minimum repair. I had called another who works on machines but he won't work on electronic machines. The other place is about 3 hrs away. Maybe I can sell it for parts. I'm going to have to think this thru. I wouldn't sell it without giving all the info I could. I know there would be parts that could be used. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

------
ReRe1

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to ReRe1 <<

Date: 8/22/12 8:47 AM

I am so sorry they did not take care of your 6600. You must be devastated. The 6600 is a workhorse and well worth fixing. IMO, the person who borrowed your machine is responsible for the repairs and should pay to have it fixed no matter the cost. I would try to find a certified Janome dealer who will give you an estimate on repairs in writing and give them the bill. You should not have to sell it at a loss or pay for repairs since they are the ones who were negligent and put it outside in a shed.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

ReRe1
ReRe1
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 12/12/06
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 8:56 AM

They don't have money to pay. It's family.

------
ReRe1

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to ReRe1 <<

Date: 8/22/12 9:26 AM

Why don't you get an estimate on repairs and then decide. You can always keep it until you have the funds to pay for the repairs. If you don't want to keep it, then call a Janome dealer and get the blue book value for your 6600 then try to sell it as is for less than half the blue book value. I sold a perfectly good 6600 two years ago for $900.

------
~Diana~

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

lizd211
lizd211
Member since 8/14/08
Send Message

In reply to ReRe1 <<

Date: 8/22/12 9:33 AM

Hi. If the rust isn't too bad, you could try removing it yourself. Use WD 40 and Scotch Brite pads. Be sure not to get WD 40 on computerized parts. Oftentimes, it doesn't take much to get light surface rust off. If it doesn't work, you'd still have a parts machine to sell.

Liz

ReRe1
ReRe1
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 12/12/06
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 7:01 PM

I was thinking about trying to remove the rust myself. Just wasn't sure about taking it apart. I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm so downhearted about it. Do Janome dealers give free estimates?

------
ReRe1

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to ReRe1 <<

Date: 8/22/12 8:41 PM

My ex-Janome dealer gives free estimates.

------
~Diana~

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to ReRe1 <<

Date: 8/22/12 9:25 PM

I am sorry to hear about your beloved Janome 6600. I know this is a dilemma of vintage sewing machine enthusiasts. I think there is a product that will removed rust but the metal will still have marks. I am not sure how it works but I found this link while trying to get more information. Just remember that your machine has computerized parts.

Vintage Sewing Machine Blog
-- Edited on 8/22/12 9:27 PM --

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Info needed.please

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Lutterloh XL-XXL #89 Pants

photo
by: PatCSM

Review
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Buy Now
McCall's 6638

photo
by: MayenDesig...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.