SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Why you should always write a review... ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why you should always write a review...
Shirt is perfect. No idea what size I used.
Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 4:58 PM

So, when I first started sewing I made DH a couple of shirts from McCall's 4518. I tried to preserve the pattern and ruined it (I can't remember whether this was a contact paper or Elmer's glue fiasco- either way it went poorly). Oh well, I thought, it was only $1, I'll just pick up a new one.

Except it was out of print. Oops. And since it was out of print, I didn't bother with a review.

But wait! McVogerick had a huge sale to clear out their old inventory, and they had the pattern (McCall's 4518, the Palmer/Pletch convertible collared shirt). So I happily have the pattern again. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether I used a size small or medium for DH. His other Hawaiian shirt, that fits nicely, has 4" of ease. My choices for ease are 3 1/2" or 7". Crap.

So much for knocking out a new Hawaiian shirt this afternoon!

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 5:02 PM

You're so right. Writing reviews is a great way to keep a visual sewing log.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 5:31 PM

Hear ye, hear ye! Oh, the times I've already referred back to my own reviews, or blog posts, to regain the info that one would think should be remembered....

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 5:34 PM

The worst part is that it's pretty much the only one I haven't reviewed (I have a bunch I haven't taken pictures of, so they're still unpublished WIPs).

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/22/12 5:52 PM

Another vote here for review writing! I also like to look back at the things I have made and see what progression I've made in style or fit or technique. It is a great way to see your progress.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 6:05 PM

If he still has one of the shirts: it'll help to take measurements in strategic spots and compare them to the pattern.

j.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 7:24 PM

Writing a review is an excellent way to document a project for yourself. I can't tell you the number of times I've gone back to a review I wrote to jog my memory about a technique or product I used.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 8/22/12 7:30 PM

I know what you mean. I started a blog last year to document my sewing projects and recipes. I post a pic of the item I have made with particulars of patterns and fabrics and anything I changed. I do the same with recipes. My children go to my blog for their favorite recipes and my sewing friends visit for tutorials, etc. I just have to be careful not to post pics of gifts until I have given them ffor fear the recipient sees it prior to the occassion.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/22/12 9:34 PM

I agree with Jada--can't you compare the pattern to the finished shirt?

I'm not great at writing reviews--but I'm an absolute PRO at message board posts! I will pull up old posts I've made to see my step-by-step decision-making process. Just last week I found an old post I'd written on a costuming board about a peasant skirt I'm making again--apparently the first time I made it, I used five yards of fabric, but this time I only bought four. Oops! Yep, the things you'd THINK you'd remember! LOL

------
~Gem in the prairie

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 8/23/12 8:31 AM

It's also helpful to keep a review in progress even if you haven't finished the garment. I began working on two pants patterns, S2860 and S2700, almost 3 years ago. I recently returned to S2860 and had to refer to my private review for details about the changes I made. I hadn't recorded them anywhere else but on PR.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Why you should always write a review...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.