SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > What I learned my first week ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What I learned my first week
Adventures in sewing
Marklovestosew
star
Marklovestosew
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 8/23/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 8/24/12 12:30 PM

Well week one is coming to a close. This week I learned to fill a bobbin, thread my machine. Change a needle. I learned to make fabric flowers, how to sew in a strait line, how to sew a simple hem, I learned how to add elastic, I learned to make a simple sun dress without a patern. I earned to add a decorative waist band, a ruffled hem and boy have I learned how to uses a seam ripper. I have made 4 sun dresses and one skirt for grand daughters. Then I took a pair of my old jeans and made myself a blue jean skirt. Just to see if I could do it. If you know any ladies who could use a 50" skirt let me know. My wife won't let me wear it lol. She says she wants me to " wear the pants in the family" bottom line I am sewing everyday and everyday I am learning something new. It's not a job it's an adventure. I just bought my first pattern and enough fabric to make 3 different versions. Next week will be a blast.

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 12:35 PM

Wow! You're way ahead of me, and I've been sewing all summer! I think it will be months before I have enough guts to touch a ruffler!

I wish I did sew faster... it takes me an evening to mess with a pattern and the raw fabric, another evening to cut and mark everything and then....well it's still pretty slow going.

Congrats on loving sewing so much!

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/24/12 12:45 PM

How about the UNIKILTS

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Marklovestosew <<

Date: 8/24/12 12:47 PM

How did you learn so much in one week?

I would LOVE for my husband to wear that kilt - wow!

------
Mary

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 1:08 PM

Wow, that's a lot for a week!

Looks like we'll be seeing you on Project Runway in about a year? LOL

I'm guessing you just retired? And were a workaholic?

Maybe your wife will let you wear that skirt if you promise to only wear it while you are sewing?

Next up, you need to learn to post photos of your handiwork so we can see it all! (And you will be prepared to post pattern reviews once you start using patterns.)

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/24/12 1:24 PM

Those kilts look soooo good.

Yup. If there's not a review of it, it didn't happen. Yup.

Marklovestosew
star
Marklovestosew
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 8/23/12
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/24/12 3:03 PM

I spend about 4 hrs a day sewing. Beats watching tv. I have to stay off my foot for several more months. I just baught my first patern so I am sure that will slow me down. The ruffle my wife taught me. Your material needs to be at least 2x longer than the hem you will attach it to. You hem one side, then sow a strait line down the side you gather for the ruffle. Leave lots of thread on both sides and don't back stitch either end of the ruffled side. Then start pulling the tread from one end and then the other until you ruffle starts to form. Then pin the strait side to your hem and sew it together. Good luck and keep going. My wife is a great teacher. She shows me how and then makes me do it myself. I would't be half as far without her.

Marklovestosew
star
Marklovestosew
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 8/23/12
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 8/24/12 3:04 PM

He's braver then me.

Marklovestosew
star
Marklovestosew
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 8/23/12
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/24/12 3:06 PM

My wife has been sewing for years and she is a great teacher and has been very encouraging.

Marklovestosew
star
Marklovestosew
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 8/23/12
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 8/24/12 3:12 PM

Partially disabled got to stay off my foot for several months and it beats watching tv.when I tried it on I sat down and watched some tv with her. I got to admit it actualy felt very comfortable. But I am not a scotch an nod the skirt wasn't plaid. I play guitar and no bagpipes. Ah okay excuses e's I am to chicken lol

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What I learned my first week

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Butterick 5679

photo
by: stitchywit...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2008-115

photo
by: Allie in H...

Review
Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

More Info
You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.