SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Stitched, the movie ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Stitched, the movie
so what is your take on the art quilts?
SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 1:18 PM

We saw the movie Stitched at the ASG conference last week. Since some of the entries in the Int'l Quilt Show in Houston were art quilts I was wondering what some of you thought. I'm talking about the art quilts that were basically painted fabric. They were showing the nay sayers as being older ladies who were very upset about the break from tradition.

What is your take on this? Can someone educate me? Were they fussing because these were not pieced tops, rather painted fabric that was then quilted.
If that is the case, I'm not sure what I think. Were I a long time quilter, I may have had a problem with this too. Nothing at all pieced? Hmmmmm.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 8/24/12 1:38 PM

How could we see Stitched the Movie? I have no reference to it, as I have not seen it.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 8/24/12 2:32 PM

Art Quilts generally refer to quilts that will be hung not on a bed. Meaning also they won't be washed. And may have other materials in them aside from fabric. Can be painted, drawn on . Also some tend to have really big scenes pictures aside from you usual blocks.

Also I believe anyone can be taught to sew and quilt With no artistic experience. I have 5 thumbs when it comes to drawing. But I guess art quilting is a little step above. And usually more work goes into them. I have seen stuff that have left literally breathless. It's amazing what some people can do with fabric. If you are an artist of some kind to begin with it will flow into your quilting.

I've been wanting to see this movie also I think it's out on DVD but it's really $$ if I'm thinking of the same one.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 2:39 PM

It's a movie/documentary about some people who entered quilts in the Houston International Quilt Show - I think 2010. They follow them - and also feature the folks they mentored.
The controversy was about the first art quilt winning overall that was not sewn as a pieced top, but was a painting on fabric, then quilted. Many older ladies they interviewed were dismayed about this.

We bought the DVD for our ASG chapter, to show at a meeting, and will keep it in our library. It was $20.00. We got to talk to the producers after. It was pretty good, and parts of it were funny.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 2:52 PM

Well, I stopped calling lots of things "Quilts" and now call them Fabric Art. Because the art form is fabric art. Even with no quilting. But to many people a quilt is pieced, even though this has never been all the truth. There have been whole cloth quilts as long as quilts have been around. Quilting is what makes it a quilt, and many people love to piece, and they do not quilt. But we have traditionally called that "Quilting" anyway, which is fine with me. This is one more place where I say "Who Cares?!" If you love to do either function or both, or if you paint your fabric or use mixed media on fabric or whatever, it is expressing art, so the delineation must come in the categories items are shown and compete in. A painted wall hanging without piecing shouldn't probably compete in a show against a quilt which is pieced in a more traditional way. At the Vermont Quilt Festival there seems to be endless categories, and that is what made it so darned interesting and informative and inspiring. I love the magazine Machine Quilting Unlimited for the coverage of quilting in all its ramifications. My grown children have been really amazed by the pictures in MQU of what encompasses "quilting" in these exciting times - the lovely and inspired works of fabric artists. This has demolished the stereotype in their eyes of a quilter as some old lady (like me!) piecing log cabins, not that there's anything wrong with that.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 6:29 PM

I have not seen the movie, but I have seen some quilts that were painted fabric, then quilted. Stunningly beautiful pieces of art!

I can see how some would have a problem with pieced quilts being judged against a painted art quilt. The tow are so very different, HOW could someone judge them against each other?

I know there are separate categories, but if they take the winner of each category and choose one overall show winner, than I think it's too many differences to be able to include them all.

I guess it would all depend on what the judging criteria is. Point system? I don't know how they judge quilts.

------
Cathryn

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 8:19 PM

I was heartened to see more acceptance of art quilts, even at my local podunk county fair, this week. A fabulous heavily beaded koi even won a ribbon! As did a machine embroidered wall hanging made of hooped blocks.

I joined quilting backwards from fine art: painting/ illustration/ and photography, so my perspective is warped. I see ALL quilts as art! It's just the media that changes. A classic art history course ( required for a BFA) encompasses textiles, architecture, painting, ceramics, sculpture, etc. in context of the culture which produces it. Can't separate the two.

Denyse Schmidt came to quilting after completing her BFA in graphic design....and have you seen her couture kimono quilts!?:wow:
Folks had a hissy fit when she first appeared with haphazard improv. piecing a la Gee's Bend. Yet, her latest book is a return to complex " traditional" patterns.

There's room for everybody at this party..........but it CAN be harder to market latest and greatest TOTL sewing machines to the primarily art quilter

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 8/24/12 10:37 PM

I'm not a quilter at all, but love both pieced and painted quilts. There are some stunning pieced quilts and stunning painted quilts. They are both works of art.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 8/25/12 1:38 AM

I do think there has to be a line drawn somewhere, but my line is pretty liberal: there's gotta be some fabric, and there's gotta be some stitching.

If it's all glued, fused, painted, beaded, it might be a brilliant work of art, but it's not a quilt, IMO.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 8/25/12 7:50 AM

I agree has to have some stitching. And be made of fabric. Quiltng whether it be art, traditional etc is a fiber art. But getting to shows traditional quilts shouldn't have to go up against art quits. That would be the only arena where this matters. As it has to be defined what is is as a traditional blocked quilt shouldn't have to go up against and appliqued, painted art quilt. And what I've seen of quilt festivals there are more and more art quilts winning the ribbons etc. But then I don't quilt to win shows I quilt for enjoyment and stress relief. I don't pay a lot of attention to the big shows. I will never reach that level of quilting. Some of that stuff is literally jaw dropping.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Stitched, the movie

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Burda 7739

photo
by: megumi

Review
Simplicity 2337

photo
by: nicegirl

Review
Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

More Info
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 16-24(Cup B-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 16-24(Cup B-DD) )

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.