SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Home Dec. Sewing > Pin fitting INSIDE OUT...? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pin fitting INSIDE OUT...?
Isn't this going to wind up bass-gackwards?!
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 8/26/12 6:23 PM

In THIS Youtube video, the narrator is pinning fabric on a chair, INSIDE OUT -- with the right side of the fabric (including the piping) inside, against the chair, and the wrongside and seams on the outside (whew...)

When the fabric is turned rightside out, isn't everything going to be in the opposite place? The arm you fitted to the left arm of the chair, is now going to be on the RIGHT arm of the chair, right?

I mean, is it that this DOESN'T matter in upholstery because we assume that furniture is exactly the same on both sides?

Seems dicey to me.

Whutup?

j.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 8/26/12 10:12 PM

That's it exactly - most furniture is much more symmetrical than we are.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/27/12 1:33 AM

I took a slip cover class and was taught to pin fit wrong sides together,and then we sewed without repinning. The instructor said furniture was not all that symmetrical

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 8/27/12 12:03 PM

Noooooooo, I wouldn't do it inside out. I made a very fitted slipcover for a chair I thought was symmetrical. When it didn't fit right, I found that one arm was at least an inch higher than the other.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 8/27/12 12:26 PM

I see seam allowances. Is that wrong side out? The pieces appear to have different textures. One section has a pattern and the other does not. Confusing to watch as well as listen to!

-- Edited on 8/27/12 12:28 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 8/27/12 12:36 PM

PattiAnn: Yeah, she has the WRONG SIDE out! Made me think: wow, shouldn't you pin it the way it's going to be when you're done? Otherwise, everything's going to be backwards when you turn the cover!

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/27/12 2:06 PM

Quote: diane s
I took a slip cover class and was taught to pin fit wrong sides together,and then we sewed without repinning. The instructor said furniture was not all that symmetrical

I've been turning this over in my mind for several days now. I'm sure I'm missing something.

If you pin fit on the furniture with the wrong sides of the fabric together, I assume that the fabric is laying on the furniture the way it will be when the slip cover is finished - right side out. How do you sew it without re-pinning? The seam would be on the outside of the slip cover, yes?

The method I'm most familiar with is pin fitting on the chair, right side of fabric out, wrong side of fabric in toward the chair, then pulling the fabric apart on the pinned seam line, and chalking the seam line along the pinned seam on the wrong side of the fabric. You do have to take the fabric off the chair and re-pin before you sew, but the seam lines are marked.

Confused (a natural state of being for me),
CMC
diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 8/27/12 2:38 PM

Quote: CM_Sews

If you pin fit on the furniture with the wrong sides of the fabric together, I assume that the fabric is laying on the furniture the way it will be when the slip cover is finished - right side out. How do you sew it without re-pinning? The seam would be on the outside of the slip cover, yes?

I haven't done this in a while, I have a VHS, (that's how you know it's been a while) I'll preview and get back with the details. I remember, we used rectangles of fabric for the basic shapes with cording to define the edges. The cording was also a guide to where you sewed, since the SA weren't exact.
The instructor was Karen Erickson at slipcover america website

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 8/27/12 5:27 PM

Diane,

Thank you for offering to research this further! No big rush; I don't have an urgent slip cover project awaiting my attention. I'm just curious.

Somewhere in my sewing library, I have a vintage booklet explaining how to do slipcovers without a pattern (the pin fit-chalk-then sew on the marked seam lines method, if I recall correctly) dating from the early 50's. It was full of other handy advice, for example, to send the husband and kids out of the house for the day so you could concentrate on your project without interruptions. Also, that you should wear slacks, not a dress, so you'll have freedom of movement. Made me think of June Cleaver, in her heels and pearls everyday.

None-the-less, the basic instructions weren't much different than several recent slipcover books in my library.

Thanks for the link to Slipcover America.

CMC

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 8/28/12 9:59 AM

Sending the husband and kids out so you have the day to concentrate DOES work very well! I don't think I've ever tried sewing in a dress. I love all those posts with 1950s handy advice. I hate to admit, some of it actually makes sense......that doesn't mean I follow it.

Good luck slipcovering.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Home Dec. Sewing >> Pin fitting INSIDE OUT...?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Kwik Sew 1671

photo
by: SamF

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.