SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > No sewing space, any storage ideas for projects?? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
No sewing space, any storage ideas for projects??
tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

Date: 8/28/12 8:13 AM

After having a small room for sewing/knitting for a few years (A little bigger than two single beds (twin beds I think they are called in the US)) I have had to give it up to one of my children. I can get most of the stuff into the spare room, and pull out the supplies when I want to work on a project on the kitchen table.

Can anyone suggest a system/bag/box for storing the project I'm working on? I have seen a pattern for a project bag, but I wasn't too keen on it. I am just using a paper shopping bag at the moment, which is OK, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas??

------
Reading from Europe

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to tg33 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/28/12 9:05 AM

Before I had dedicated sewing space I had two favorite methods for storing projects.

On a hangar with a ziplock bag holding all the notions. A hole punched in the corner of the ziplock bag made it easy to slip over the hook of the hangar.

Placing projects in small stacking laundry baskets. This worked out pretty well as I worked through the phases especially since I tended to cut multiple projects when I had limited space. Each project (or coordinated projects) was folded into a laundry basket. Subsequent projects were folded into their baskets and stacked, with the contents, one on top of the other.

When cutting multiple project, I kept the pattern pieces with the cut pieces until I was ready for construction.

I also tended to work in phases in those days, probably more in response to schedule juggling than space juggling. One day might be a selection and pattern preparation day. Another day a multiple projects cutting day. Another day a dart and fiddly parts preparation day; or at least marking and pinning the darts and fiddle parts. By the time I set the machine up to sew, project baskets were emptied quickly and ready for the next go round.

One large underbed bin with cut to measure poster board project dividers or folders would serve as a more compact version of the stacked baskets.

I still cut out multiple patterns at once (just the patterns to prepare them). I'm watching for a sale on poster board so I can fold each prepared pattern over the poster board and clip it with a small bulldog clip and a scrap of fabric for protection. Love these questions as they always get my gears going. If I could find something a little heavier than poster board, I could first clip the pattern pieces on and ultimately fold the cut garment pieces over the board also for a 'vertical project in the works file'.

That's it! Thanks for asking the question. I had wondered how to keep the flimsy poster board upright. You made me realize that the behind the door space that has been screaming to be used will be the ideal place to hang an upper and lower set of project in progress boards.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

Date: 8/28/12 9:09 AM

I can't see the pattern I saw before (of course ), but here is kind of what I was thinking of:

View F here
Maybe D??
KS3464

I am not looking for specific patterns, I am more looking for ideas!

7yearstitch, saw your post after I posted this. What size ziplock do you use? I may be able to use the stacking baskets idea, but underbed storage is for stash at the moment.
-- Edited on 8/28/12 9:12 AM --

------
Reading from Europe

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/28/12 9:31 AM

We use a lot of little plastic rolling carts here, from 3-8 drawers.
That would let you store it in a closet or other corner and wheel out to the machine, keep the project in one drawer, thread in another, etc.
Check the Fishing departments of stores, ours often have neater divider boxes or tackle boxes than craft sections too.
Or think of hanging shoe or handbag closet holders for fabrics and such.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to tg33 <<

Date: 8/28/12 10:21 AM

I hoard the two gallon size ziplock bags when I see them on the store shelves around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It occurs to me that I could make great bags with my Foodsaver.

And, I've been looking at the nicely sized Time Life Magazine archival covers for pattern storage. They might also work as project storage bags.

New Tyvek legal sized envelopes are pricey. I'd love to find a business that would recycle those my way.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 11:18 PM

What about under-bed storage boxes? They hold quite a bit and I think some of them come on rollers. You can get bed risers too so you could store more under the bed (they raise the bed a few inches). Rolling carts come in narrow and wide sizes so you could maybe push one in the closet or in a corner. I use the plastic shoe boxes for thread and notion storage. It must be hard to store stuff when you don't have much room and several people sharing limited space. I am fortunate to have a small house that I share with my son but I have lived in much smaller places-I am not the best organizer either.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to tg33 <<

Date: 9/8/12 11:35 PM

If it's only a current project you want to store, what about one of those round or square storage hassocks/footstool things? Extra seating or small table, to boot! Some are pretty roomy inside.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 9/9/12 3:16 AM

Lots of great ideas here! Switching to project storage was one of the BEST things I ever did for my sewing! I use flat plastic boxes like this:

...But I'm usually storing supplies for BIG projects (Renaissance gowns, etc). A normal sewing project, I'm finding, fits very nicely in a 2-gallon Ziplock bag--when you can find them! DH just got a package in the mail whose packaging included two of them, which I immediately snatched up before he could recycle them!

The storage ottoman suggestion is great, too. I'm also a needleworker, and I keep all my projects and floss boxes in a small square ottoman we picked up very inexpensively at Target. I can attest to the fact that an ottoman will hold quite a few more Ziplock bags than you'd expect!

Another thing I'm very fond of is a sturdy accordion file. I have one similar to this, which holds my unkitted needlework supplies. I can fit a couple fat quarters of fabric plus a chart/magazine in each of the slots, and it all stores neatly in a relatively small space. It's nicely portable and pretty, too.

If you have a big craft superstore, try looking in the scrapbooking section. I've found a lot of great storage ideas--from elaborate cube shelving systems all the way down to project organizers--at Michaels, JoAnn, etc.
-- Edited on 9/9/12 3:22 AM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

In reply to tg33 <<

Date: 9/9/12 10:18 AM

In the 18 months since I've moved, I didn't have the planned area in the basement ready for a dedicated space and have had to just make space work in my very tiny dining/living room area.

I also have a older cat who several years ago had a serious reaction to anethesia and it altered his brain a bit. He's about "crankly old man" from senility now and it's not safe to leave paper bags or even baggies around because he will occasionally pee on them. So I've gone to hard plastic storage for all projects. Doesn't actually stop him peeing, but he can't scratch through them and I can wipe the pee off--saves the project.

I've been using stackable storage for projects and also some notion organization.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to tg33 <<

Date: 9/9/12 2:03 PM

When my children were younger all the bedrooms were filled here so no space for stuff to stay out and be everywhere as it is now. I used to have a sewing room at my late mil's near the family business. I would cut out there and hang the pieces after they were marked and pressed on a hanger and clip with a wooden clothespin. They were easy to hang in the closet until I was ready and if they were pressed I didn't wrinkle them up. If they were just cut out I often brought them home in a zip lok bag. There's a larger size of the clear box that I also use for things I want to keep in one containter and the sweater boxes are not all that expensive if you need larger. I tend to keep my most used patterns,tracing and the cut outs in the 2 gallon size bags also. I grab them whenever I see them as they are handy for lots of sewing stuff.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> No sewing space, any storage ideas for projects??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

Buy Now
My Favorite Duffle Bag

My Favorite Duffle Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.