SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Rayon jersey - How do you sew the d*mn thing! ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Rayon jersey - How do you sew the d*mn thing!
rfsews
rfsews
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/21/06
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 2:12 AM

This is the first time Iím sewing rayon jersey (bought from Gorgeous Fabrics last year so definitely good quality) and Iím just having problems with the fabric on both serger and sewing machine. Both machines stitch in the same place/spot over and over again - but the fabric isn't 'eaten' by the machines - it's just stuck/not moving.

For serger, I finally figured out that it did not like uneven surface of the layers (I was sewing back neck facing to the back neck so part of the foot is on 3 layers of fabric while part of it is on just one layer). After I made sure the entire foot is resting on 3 layers of fabric, I was able to serge on. Is there another way to deal with this? Because the way I "fixed" it, I'm no longer following the stated seam allowance.

For sewing machine, I just gave up for the night Iím trying to topstitch the back neck facing down. Again, Iím dealing with multiple layers but the foot is resting on all layers (not uneven), but the fabric just isnít moving at all. Iíve tried regular foot, Teflon foot, and edgestitch foot and got the same result.

GAH!

QuiltSewSewSue
starstarstar
QuiltSewSewSue
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

In reply to rfsews <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/29/12 3:45 AM

A walking foot may be worth a try. I use a walking foot for all difficult fabrics.

All the best with it!

------
Sue (Toowoomba Qld)
Love to sew....

http://quiltsewsewsue.blogspot.com/

rfsews
rfsews
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/21/06
Send Message

In reply to QuiltSewSewSue <<

Date: 8/29/12 3:59 AM

Thanks Sue. I will give that a try tomorrow night!

tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 5:23 AM

Have you tried taut sewing? I don't have a walking foot and this often works (I would try it with scraps first though).

------
Reading from Europe

Pam~Off The Cuff~
star
Pam~Off The Cuff~  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
NY USA
Member since 4/18/05
Send Message

In reply to rfsews <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/30/12 6:59 AM

Try increasing the pressure on your foot.... knit fabric needs to be firmly gripped between the feed dogs and the foot in order to move smoothly.

------
~Pam

Pamela Erny
OFF THE CUFF ~Style~
www.Off-The-Cuff-Style.blogspot.com
and My Store...
www.FashionSewingSupply.com !

Sewmissy2
Sewmissy2
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/5/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/30/12 7:55 AM

I would actually decrease the pressure on the presser foot. Knits will stretch and ripple when then cannot move through the machine. When I choose knits on the sewing advisor of my Designer 1 sewing machine it decreases the presser foot pressure and always sews beautifully. Decrease the pressure on the serger too by loosening the screw at the top.

------
Designer 1, bought in 2000
Simplicity 350 serger, bought about 1997
3 Tajima Neo single head embroidery machines
Digitizer by profession
Embroidery software: Tajima DGML by Pulse (commercial) also know Designer's Gallery and Floriani for home use.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 8:05 AM

I actually use a combo of suggestions that are given here. I keep pressure, the same I use for any cotton/woven type fabric(I do not lighten up) and I make sure the fabric is taut. Also, make sure you are using a stretch needle.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 11:00 AM

A scrap of tissue or parchment paper might help the fabric feed a little more easily, too.

------
~Gem in the prairie

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to rfsews <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/30/12 12:42 PM

Sometimes, going to a 'stretch' needle works magic with cranky, stretchy fabrics, too. I've had that experience pretty often.

rfsews
rfsews
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/21/06
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 2:04 PM

Thank you for the responses! I ended up trying the tissue method and it worked pretty well...my fabric moved!

Needle wasn't the issue - I used stretch needle on all stretch fabrics. The problem was with fabric not moving at all, it's like the feed dogs don't have anything to grip onto to move the fabric? Adding something grip-able (like tissue paper) worked. For serger, I have to make sure to start serging on even layers then it will serge fine. So tricksy!

This is for V1250 for my mom. It's all sewn up as of last night and I will hem it tonight. I wonder what problems I will have with coverstitchÖ

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Rayon jersey - How do you sew the d*mn thing!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Simplicity 3773

photo
by: slmstyle

Review
Butterick 5803

photo
by: Mobycat

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Irish Coat Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Irish Coat Pattern Pattern

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.