SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Opinions wanted... Trade Bernina 530 for Janome Horizon? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Opinions wanted... Trade Bernina 530 for Janome Horizon?
monkeymoto

monkeymoto
Member since 4/13/08
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 12:49 PM

I sew garments and am really getting into sewing quilts. I bought a Bernina 530 recently and am just not loving the stitch quality.it's ok, but at the price of the machine, I just feel myself kind of resenting the machine. So... Try to convince me to keep it- why is Bernina so great for garment sewing? I know the feet available are awesome, and I LOVE the feet, but if I'm not loving the stitch quality of the straight stitch (which looks like the pic to the left on this link http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/30/slanted-stitches-why-the-stitches-arent-straight--what-to-do-about-it.aspx even after playing with settings, needles, etc. I know people rave about Berninas and everything they can do... so help me find the love!

I'm contemplating taking it back to exchange for a Janome Horizon 7700, which I can do as an even exchange. The quilter in me wants that large harp size, and after seeing Leah Day's reviews I think it might be a great machine to use for quilting. The dealer carries Berninas, Janomes, and Brother... I can do an even exchange or trade up for the next 7 weeks.

I've also been contemplating a straight stitch only machine in addition to the Bernina (or Janome)... Probably the Juki 2010q but haven't seen it yet. If I got the Janome, then the straight stitch machine would probably be my main machine, and I'd use the Janome for quilting, zig zag stitches, buttonholes, and anything else the straight stitch machine couldn't do. I should also note that I have a serger and a Featherweight and it's many cool attachments. Perhaps the FW has created unreasonable expectations in straight stitch quality of modern machines? I wonder if the stitch quality of modern straight stitch machines rivals those on the FW?

So... Help! What do you think would be the best combo of machines for garment sewing and quilting? I do want modern machines... While I love my featherweight, I like the conveniences like needle down on the newer machines.
-- Edited on 8/29/12 12:57 PM --

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/29/12 1:37 PM

First of all, here's a clickable link.
Two questions:
Does the Janome's straight stitch measure up to your standard?
Do you have the straight stitch plate for your Bernina?

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to monkeymoto <<

Date: 8/29/12 1:44 PM

I have never sewn on a 530 so I can't comment on the stitch quality. Of the Bernina's I have sewn on/owned, the stitch quality is excellent. I don't' know why it would not be on your 530. Has the dealer looked at it? Perhaps all it needs is an adjustment. It is not unusual to have this adjustment done. It can be done while you wait if indeed that is the problem.

I owned a 7700 when they first came out. It does have an excellent straight stitch -- the best I ever saw on a Janome. I am a garment sewer and also am into quilting. The larger harp space is a plus for both, IMO. The Janome did not go over intersections easily and would create tiny stitches and I had to pull the fabric through it from the back. Bernina's sew over intersections with ease and have perfect stitch formation. This has been my experience. The 7700 would hardly feed my stretchy lycra/polyester knit at all and the multi zig zag stitch was all puckery, even with the AcuFeed engaged. Again, even the Bernina 330 fed the fabric through with ease and stitches perfect, no puckering. My 7700 ended up being returned to Janome and replaced. My dealer had said the feed dogs were fine, so I really don't know if that was why it would not feed that fabric. I felt even at the time, once the bugs were worked out that it would be an excellent machine.

So, I suggest you take your fabrics and test that Horizon to be sure you want it. The Bernina feet are excellent, although pricey, they do what they are made for and they do it well. Both manufacture's make excellent sewing machines. As far as the best combo for garment sewing and quilting...I do all mine on one machine. Always have. Either machine in questions should be able to do both.

ETA: The Bernina's stop exactly when you take your foot off the pedal. Janomes do not but take an extra stitch or two to finish the stitch cycle. You might want to test this out when looking at other machines if you decide to. Also, the bobbin systems are different. Some people prefer vertical while others prefer horizontal. Best of luck to you!
-- Edited on 8/29/12 1:47 PM --

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

monkeymoto

monkeymoto
Member since 4/13/08
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 1:51 PM

Good info, thank you! I've not given the Horizon a real test drive. Maybe I'll take a trip to the dealer today so they can look at my Bernina and I can look at the Horizon.

I do have and am using the straight stitch plate, as well as the 1/4 inch #57 foot. Honestly I don't see that it helps much over the regular plate and #1 foot.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 2:05 PM

Let us know what you decide! You have to love your sewing machine. I know how it feels not to and that is not a good feeling at all. I loved that Horizon until all the issues started and were never resolved by my dealer That experience left such a bad feeling I sold the replacement the day I got it. I switched my loyalty to Bernina and I'd never go back. Be sure to test out everything at is important to you and even features that might not be at this time. In fact, see if your dealer has any 630/635 left and try one out, too. I had the 635 and it was the best even though the harp space wasn't huge like my 830.

------
~Diana~

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 2:31 PM

I sewed on the 530 last December. While I liked it well enough, it just was not THE machine for me. In Feb I bought a 630 and that machine is the machine for me.

Why did you decide on the 530 when you bought your machine? What attracted it to you? Quality, features, lack of features, price, feet, colors, the interface? I also love the Bernina feet.

I have heard nothig will compare to the old vintge FW's for a straight stitch. Just a fact to a lot of people who love their machines. My Bernina 630 makes a lovely straight stitch-- but it is a tiny bit zz'd, as it is a machine that does zig zag stitching and many other things. Have you tried it?

Are you set on the Horizon due to Leah Day? I've never sewn on one, so I do not know how they sew or if I would like it. Nothing about a Brother attracts me. Not sure why, either. They just do not call.

Have you checked out the Pfaff Creative Performance? That machine is amazing and such a deep purple. I did not read your dealer sold Pfaff, but I thought I'd throw it in the mix.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 3:04 PM

I have both the 7700 and a Bernina 635 (same as the 630) I have not sewn on the 530 or 550. I sewed on the 580 but that is a rotary hook machine and much more expensive it had an excellent straight stitch.
If you can sew on a 630 I would definetley look at it. I have a 380 and both machines are excellent for all types of sewing. Im surpised that your machine is not that good. I think it may need to be adjusted.
My feelings and opinion on the Janome vs the Bernina is pretty simple, I think the Bernina is better all around. However, I do like the Janome and
I did buy it. My favorite things are the 11 inch harp and it is smooth and quiet. But it does not sew well over intersecting seams. The bobbin area is not as well made and I have had problems with it. It does not freemotion stitch as well as my Bernina except that it gives the huge 11 inch harp space and that is great. By this I mean the stitches in the back are not as well formed. I have tried everything and they are kind of flat.
I do not like piecing quilts on the Horizon. I am not crazy about the Accufeed system for some things as it is bulky. The feet do not compare to Bernina feet. The 1/4 inch foot produces is a wide 1/4 inch where the Berninas is perfect. As a pair I feel I have it it all. The large harp when I need it. The 7700 has wonderful deco stitches. It does sew silk velvet better then any duel feed system I tried.
They both sew over multiple layers well. Button holes are excellent on both machines.
The Auto conversion on the 7700 is nice, but since the 1/4 inch foot is not accurate, I want to move the needle and I cannot do this with the Auto Plate Conversion (APC)
If I were buying a new machine today I would probably buy the new in Sept. 710 or (a 750 so I could embroider also. ) and still have a 5.5 mm machine.
What is most important here is that you LOVE your machine. It seems you do not. If the Horizon sings to you then it will be the perfect machine for you regardless what anyone else feels, and thinks. Test it thoughly before deciding, try a sewing over seams especially ones sewn on the diagonal. Sew tiny hems and things you would normally do while garment sewing. Also I would wait for the 710 and test it too. I may be selling my Horizon soon....

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Artsewer <<

Date: 8/29/12 3:28 PM

Quote:
My feelings and opinion on the Janome vs the Bernina is pretty simple, I think the Bernina is better all around.
Since I have owned both brands (various machines over the last 12 years), I also think Bernina is better all around over Janome. Still, I feel Janome makes some wonderful machines and should not be discounted.

Quote:
Also I would wait for the 710 and test it too. I may be selling my Horizon soon....
Woo Hoo! Let us know if you do! Those new Bernina look awesome!

-- Edited on 8/29/12 3:29 PM --

------
~Diana~

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 3:29 PM

I had a 530 and thought it was kinda gross .. I hated the feed on it.

I really dont see why anyone would need a SS plate on a 5.5. mm machine? But, thats for others to choose for themselves. I never used one on a 7mm or a 9mm machine.

There are more than a few people who have not been happy with the 5 series machines for whatever reason.

I have a SS only machine that I love - mine is the Pfaff version of the Janome machine. I hear the Juki's are just as nice --

------
Quilting up a storm!

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 3:46 PM

No zigzag machine, modern or otherwise, is going to make a straight stitch the way ss-only machines can.

You alredy own one of the best ss machines out there, with your Feather. Test the Janome and whatever other machines you can do a trade with, and snag whichever one you just, for whatever reason, love and bond with.

I tried some Berninas again recently, and they're nice...but they don't suit me. Neither does the Horizon, which I have also played on recently. But there are tons of choices out there and we each have to find what suits us best!
-- Edited on 8/29/12 3:48 PM --

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Opinions wanted... Trade Bernina 530 for Janome Horizon?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)

Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Medium White

PerfectFuse Medium White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.