SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Linings - do you finish the seams? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Linings - do you finish the seams?
marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 5:20 PM

I just went through my Reader's Digest Sewing books (two different editions) and a Threads "Easy Guide to Sewing Skirts" by Marcy Tilton.

They don't say to finish the seams but they don't say not to.

I'm guessing you leave them raw but why? And more important, will the seams ravel to the point of coming apart?

I'm making a pair of pants out of 100% wool crepe and using a Bemberg lining. I prewashed both fabrics and ironed them before cutting with a steam iron (I can't afford dry cleaning right now so I want to be able to hand wash the pants, roll them in a towel, dry flat, and then press them myself).

I hand overcast the seams on the pants themselves.

This is my frustration with sewing books. You see how to sew a seam, install a zipper, etc. but you don't see how to put it all together. The pattern guide sheet is usually incomplete too. I'm using a Burda pattern and it doesn't even call for a lining.

That's why I loved Lynn Rowe's instructions for making a knit top in the sew along. She didn't leave one detail out but she also explained why she did each step. That helped the beginner to know what steps could be omitted or changed up going forward.

------
Mary

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/29/12 5:28 PM

A lot of people advise that finishing the seams inside a lined garment is not necessary. I do finish inside if I think there will be a chance of fraying becoming a nuisance, especially in garments where the seams are not all enclosed. I use the simplest finish I can get away with - for example pinking. I think the reason why instructions are not always complete is because of the need to adapt to the fabric.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/29/12 6:20 PM

personally my biggest question is: will it ravel? acetate is incredibly fluffy at the seam. It is best to do some sort of seam finish otherwise you get one heck of a mess. Depending on the seam type (princess, straight, curved) you can choose different options. Zig zag is pretty quick to do. I have an overlocker now which I love, but it is not essential and I managed without.

QuiltSewSewSue
starstarstar
QuiltSewSewSue
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 8/29/12 6:26 PM

For linings, I pink the seam. If you are concerned that is not enough I would sew a line of straight stitch then pink. I think you need to be careful you don't get too much bulk near the seams.

------
Sue (Toowoomba Qld)
Love to sew....

http://quiltsewsewsue.blogspot.com/

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/29/12 8:09 PM

If the lining material frays, I finish it. I almost always do something-I can't stand unfinished seams even if I can't see them. I don't always sew or serge them-I might pink them. I use my pinking shears alot!

Renata
star
Renata  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/9/06
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 2:01 AM

I always pink my lining, if it is Bemberg or some other 'silky' fabric. I have about half a dozen woollen pants and have worn them all winter with no lining fraying problems. The same applies to winter skirts or jackets. Be careful not to cut too close to the stitching as I have found if too much pressure is applied in the seat area and not enough seam allowance the lining fabric can come apart, if that makes sense. I also overlock the woollen fabric.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 6:18 AM

I was told my an experienced sewing teacher 30 years ago that interior seam allowances of fully-lined garments have no need to be finished.

That being said, if I'm working with a fabric that I swear frays just by looking at it, I will pink it or use a 3-thread overlock serger stitch.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
Member since 12/21/02
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 8:06 AM

One of the purposes of the lining is to hide the seam allowances and construction. So unless the fabric is very ravelly, there is no reason to finish them.

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
other artwork blogged here: http://robynjorde.com/blog/

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 8:45 AM

The comments are great!

My only gripe is that the sewing books I consulted didn't even discuss it!!

Isn't a sewing book supposed to teach you the basics? I'm going to see if I still have my Vogue sewing book and see if it says anything.

I'm also going to peek inside the last pair of career pants I still have hanging in my closet since I left my job. They're Talbots and they're lined. I'm just curious to see how they are finished.

I started to finish the lining seams but after pressing the wool, I was concerned that a seam finish would show through. I like the idea of pinking but like the idea of leaving them along even better. At this stage of my sewing experience, I'm learning that the less I do, the less there is to mess up.

------
Mary

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 8/30/12 9:01 AM

I always serge lining seams.

------
Stash: 174.845 yds. @ 12.20.14

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Linings - do you finish the seams?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Other Dressmaking with Liberty

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

Buy Now
Towne Purse

Towne Purse

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.