SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Do you shop by features - or - by budget? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do you shop by features - or - by budget?
Inquiring minds wanna know.
RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 8/31/12 0:25 AM

So which is it for all of you....

A. I have xx amount of money to spend on a machine so I want the most bang for the buck - so I choose my next machine this way.

or

B. I want my machine to do _____, _______, ______, and it really has to do _________! And if it does, I'm buyin' it.

I'm just kinda curious.

I wound up choosing method B when I bought the Horizon.

And it seems I'm headed down the B path again as I'm startin' to stick my toe in the water as I start making my wish list for an embroidery machine.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 8/31/12 0:57 AM

I started out shopping A. Then I wasn't happy, and really changed my budget ideas on a sewing machine, and got the machine of my dreams. It would have cost me less had I just gone for a much nicer machine from the beginning. Instead of purchasing two machines I wasn't very happy with first.

That said, I was very lucky to be able to save up cash quickly to get the machine(s) I really wanted. I was in a pretty unique position to be able to just take on more work to pay for the toys since, like you, I'm self employed.

Basically I now shop for features/quality. I'm willing pay more to get the machine I really want. That said, after much research I found I didn't really spend much more than any other TOL machine. They all seem to cost a lot.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/31/12 2:23 AM

Interesting question and it made me pause to think...I guess I am a feature shopper. If I could take my 580 and add the Viking DDD embroidery, smarts, sophistication and auto presser foot, the threader, snowman and ease of use of the Ellisimo, the straight stitch of a FW, dual feed without a bulky contraption, fm quilting of my 1230, heel cutter and feed of my Juki...hmmmm, what else? ....without it being oversized like the 820, 830 and E....then I'd definitely figure out a way to pay for it.

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

ddegaray
ddegaray
Member since 7/29/12
Send Message

Date: 8/31/12 8:15 AM

I'd like to think that I am shopper A, but since I totally blew my budget last friday on a Brother Quattro 2, I would say that I am a feature shopper at heart!

MommaMonster
MommaMonster
Member since 9/5/11
Send Message

Date: 8/31/12 9:14 AM

C. 'It does what???!!??? I have to have it!'

I wasn't even in the market for a new machine until I stopped into my dealer 'just to drool'. She demo'd the Quattro 2, and now after eight years of being a SAHM I'm getting a job so I can own it.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to MommaMonster <<

Date: 8/31/12 9:24 AM

Quote: MommaMonster
C. 'It does what???!!??? I have to have it!'

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 8/31/12 9:29 AM

I am not sure I have a method to my madness.. but if you put all my machines together I must have every feature around.. and maybe have duped many of them.
I have a list of machines with features .. ones on my want list.. and when those machines come up discontinued or otherwise for sell that is when I buy them.. Only my Juki was bought brand new and when it was a new model.. but it was a very good price so I bit..
So you might say.. both would apply.. I am however a sucker for any machine around if the price is right.

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 8/31/12 10:05 AM

Both.
A machine purchase for me needs to meet my needs for features and needs to be within my budget.

Doesn't matter what features it has if I can't afford it. And it doesn't matter how well priced it is if it doesn't do what I want.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Skittl1321 <<

Date: 8/31/12 10:52 AM

That is how I shop for a sm too. Very well put. ..smile... It has to meet the budget & has to have what I am looking for, & also for me it has to be movable... if it is super heavy nope can't deal with that either.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 8/31/12 11:12 AM

Make a wish list beginning with the most important features you are looking for.

Then shop for price.

If you put price first you may miss out on a prized feature and that would be a waste of money, honey.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Do you shop by features - or - by budget?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Butterick 5455

photo
by: prosthetic...

Review
Serendipity Studio Jacket

photo
by: DeJa Chic

Review
Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.