SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fabulous Fit
Fabulous Fit

Forum > Sewing Machines > vintage kenmore 117 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
vintage kenmore 117
would you take it if you were me
mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Skill: Advanced
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/1/12 1:52 PM

A neighbor is enticing me with a relative's estate machine(she was the original owner) a kenmore 117 I think a 552 version. I have found a little online that is was made by white. It is in a cabinet and has all the attachments,manual, wooden spools and 5 bobbins. Should I wag it home,clean and get it serviced? Thoughts? I need another vintage like a hole in the head but I am worried about what will become of it. It is very clean and in a compact wooden cabinet. Anybody like these 117 or familiar with them. I told her I wanted to meditate as my sewing machine real estate in the house is about taken up at this point. Lol!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Skill: Intermediate
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 9/1/12 2:42 PM

Is it free? WOW...take it home. I don't know the model off hand, but it's a classic Kenmore....should be good.WAIT - 117.552? What year? Check on needle type and all that too.
-- Edited on 9/1/12 2:45 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 9/1/12 3:08 PM

such enablers on here. Free yes but I think I would pay her the $25 she gave for it if I took it just because I am like that about stuff. She needs it gone as her adult daughter is moving and returning her bedroom suite to live with her. I found a little online-Made between 1938 and 1954 by white for kenmore. It has a crinkle finish and looks very manly as machines go. It is really almost creepy-nice little manual, 25 or so wooden spools, attachments, old needle books which I suggested she keep and use. I actually knew the little old lady that it belonged to who died 10 or 12 years ago. It looks to have been used for a little mending and hemming not a lot of sewing. I think it uses a home sewing machine needle but the manual should tell that and it is with it. I have such a weak spot for the older machines and everyone on here is so good at enabling.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Skill: Advanced Beginner
Send Message

Date: 9/1/12 4:43 PM

This sounds similiar to the 117.95 my sister has. Double check those bobbins as they are getting very hard to find. ... otherwise they sew like a dream. ... Tough Stuff cleans the finish very nicely too & then it will sparkle.

------
The Girls... Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
It's all about The Baby , about the Baby, about The Babe ....Big Smile! (sung off key ..la la la )

Here comes the big 60! OH MY!

The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler,has case does travel.
Be still and Know that I AM God +

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 9/1/12 5:11 PM

Neat to know. I am thinking if youngest daughter wants a simple starter machine, this might be a candidate. There are 5 bobbins with it or I think 6 as the bobbin case had one in it. Maybe she'll rethink this as she thought it was a vibrating shuttle machine as there was a bullet bobbin with it. I find most people today think these machines are useless as if they don't work. Thanks for the tip on the tuff stuff. Dh is being hard to convince I need two vintage machines in one week and I still haven't figured out where it is going to find a spot here.

JTink
star
JTink
Member since 4/20/08
Body Type:
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 8:49 AM

Mama sewed on her 117.551 for over 50 years.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 9/2/12 3:38 PM

Wow! I think you just threw me over the edge. That is really neat to hear. Drats I was waffling on getting it.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Skill: Advanced Beginner
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 6:52 PM

My sister has been sewing with her 95 for 40 years... & a seamstress had it before that. They are sure solid....

Not that I am enabling you to get it now...

------
The Girls... Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
It's all about The Baby , about the Baby, about The Babe ....Big Smile! (sung off key ..la la la )

Here comes the big 60! OH MY!

The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler,has case does travel.
Be still and Know that I AM God +

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 6:54 PM

Bless your heart - I would pay here as well.I didn't know it was in such nice shape. And you know the "provenance" as they say! Have fun!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 9/3/12 7:49 AM

Yes you are enabling-no question about that. Lol! I appreciate the enabling however.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> vintage kenmore 117

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

Simplicity 2181

photo
by: Sew Good

Review
Pamela's Patterns Cool Cardigans - Draped Front Pattern

Pamela's Patterns Cool Cardigans - Draped Front Pattern

Pattern Details
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Pattern Details

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.