SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > Make All Your Clothes for a Year ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Make All Your Clothes for a Year
anyone want to sew along as a group???
Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 9/2/12 8:57 AM

I was checking thru PR yesterday and came to a link where a lady was almost completely through 12 months (I think she was completing month 11) of sewing all her clothes for a year. I was awe struck. Something I have thought about, but had not pursued. I am participating in the mini wardrobe sew along to sew some basics at my own speed, attempting the fabric fast - which has decreased my fabric purchases, and trying to make up some of my patterns in my stash. The summer was too hot to consider sewing, and now I am ready to go. I am motivated and offering to anyone that would like to sew along with me and motivate each other for a year. Everyone can set their limits and there are no rules. I think my dh will be please with some the fabric stash decreasing. I need all the motivation I can get.

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/2/12 9:43 AM

Hey Restart, I'll play along, if only to provide motivation I have been working toward this goal and am at about 85% of my wardrobe. I don't count bras and panties, or sports gear. I have slowly been replacing pieces with handmade ones, and that includes almost every jacket, pants, tops, winter hats (not gloves!) and coats. If I need something quickly, I'll buy it and if I see a wonderful secondhand item, I buy it. So, I am not religious about it but I have shopped only ONE TIME in the last year.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Restart06 <<

Date: 9/2/12 10:09 AM

In, and I have motivation to spare.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

n45
n45
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 6/26/03
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 10:30 AM

Great timing. I've made 4 retail clothing purchases in the past 9 months. That was kind of my test run to see if it was feasible, and it is so I'm ready to start in earnest this year. My goal is to have enough wearable pieces done to do sort of a self directed Me Made May this year.

I won't make underwear, socks, or workout clothes. Like Marec if I can thrift something, I will.

I'm really looking forward to how this will improve my sewing. I started with my planned pieces in August. About 5 projects are already cut out and 2 of those are at the button and hemming stage. I have 14 pieces planned over the next 9 months. Doesn't sound like much, but I sew very slow and that's achievable for me. Combined with what I already own, 14 pieces will take me far.

-- Edited on 9/2/12 10:34 AM --

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 9/2/12 11:22 AM

shopped only once in the last year... that's awesome!!! Then 85% of your wardrobe is made by you That is remarkable. It is wonderful you are joining, and you have motivated me!!!! Right now I am finishing up a few upfinished projects and then to my mockups!!
I just finished one this am and one more to go on my list today. Slowly making progress.

------
Sharing is caring!

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 9/2/12 11:23 AM

Great a7yrstitch! Keep us motivated and great to have you!!

------
Sharing is caring!

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

In reply to n45 <<

Date: 9/2/12 11:30 AM

n45 what wonderful goals!! It sounds like alot to me. I sew slowly also and have to be "in the mood" with time to sew. I don't like interruptions so there goes alot of possible time. Glad to have you, share with us your projects and any motivating words you have. Keep up the great plan, I am looking forward to seeing what you make over the year.

I also like gthat you have a year plan. One problem I am having in the mini wardrobe sew along is I need so much, that I can't settle on 4 items. They keep changing on what I need most. I am hoping these Style Arc patterns work for me, as I really need a shirt & jacket pattern that are a tnt patterns to work off of. If they fit my narrow shoulders with few alterations, I will be thrilled!!! Then there is sewing for my dd. I told her last year we would only be making her tops and some pants this year....well that hasn't happened. But it is fixing to change!! Yeah, thanks you all!!!

------
Sharing is caring!

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 11:35 AM

I'll do all but underwear!

pfaffkj

pfaffkj
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 7/28/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/2/12 11:39 AM

I think this is a great idea. I just finished flipping through my patterns to see if I needed to shop the current Hancock's pattern sale. Um. . . . NO!!! There are waaaaay too many unused, but really great patterns in those drawers. I know I have fabric in stash, and it has begun to guilt me, so I'm in! No current plan, other than no buying of ready-made garments! Like others have said, that doesn't count undies or socks.

Now, I need to decide if I want to delete those almost daily e-mails from Christopher Banks, so I'm not tempted to pop down there for a cute top or two!

------
Karen

Yards in stash: I don't want to know!
2013 yards sewn: 1
2013 yards bought: 5

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/2/12 12:27 PM

Yes, yes, yes, I need the motivation. Have a large stash of patterns, but a no longer very large stash of fabric, so that should satisfy my shopping craving. Not one to sew quickly, so I might also get motivated to schedule twenty minutes here and there.
Might even try bras (have a pattern) and panties
-- Edited on 9/2/12 12:28 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Make All Your Clothes for a Year

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Butterick 5608

photo
by: velosewer

Review
Simplicity 1783

photo
by: CCcreative

Review
Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

More Info
Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.