SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Web site Talk > Blogs ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Blogs
What to do if you think your blog has died
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 1:49 PM

I have a blog (not sewing related). For a while it seemed to have several very regular readers, but now I only get about one visit to it every 10-14 days. I've kept writing 1-2 posts per week, but I've begun to think I'm talking to myself. Not that that's a problem -- but still. Every time I've had feedback, it's been really positive, but then these same people forget the blog exists for weeks on end. Some of them have apparently forgotten it entirely.

Have any of you had a similar experience -- if so, did you keep your blog going anyway?

Feeling a bit embarrassed to even say these things -- maybe I'm the only one this has happened to. I'm probably doing something wrong.

-- Edited on 9/2/12 1:54 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 9/2/12 2:12 PM

I don't even have a blog so you're a few steps ahead right off the bat. Wouldn't you suppose that the time to peruse would be seasonal? If you enjoy it why not keep it up even if it is just on a monthly or quarterly basis?

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/2/12 2:18 PM

I hadn't thought about the seasonal aspect. Yes, I suppose that could be part of it.

I have been enjoying it, but a few times lately when I've started to write a post, I've talked myself out of it after noticing that no one had read the previous post. Gosh, that sounds pathetic when you say it "out loud."

-- Edited on 9/2/12 2:32 PM --

------

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 3:36 PM

I understand what you are saying. It is hard to write when you feel like you are talking to the air.

Imagine how hard it was for new authors before we had the internet. They had to write to imaginary readers who might not ever materialize!

Just keep writing and include a link to your blog in your signature everywhere you interact on line (even here - you can add a blurb describing your blog so people can click through if they're interested).

I think you have to keep looking for new readers that way and also participate on other people's blogs by leaving meaningful comments (and again link back to your blog there too).

------
Mary

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 9/2/12 3:54 PM

Thanks, Mary. I do leave a link when I post a comment on related blogs or sites. One time I did this on the blog of a well-known Christian songwriter and suddenly discovered I'd had about 30 page views, lol. This happened just the once.

My blog is spiritual, directed at a Christian audience -- it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, which is why I haven't posted the link here. If anyone here is interested, I can let them know more.

I've mostly given the link to friends and associates I thought might be interested. For a while one person was particularly keen and sending the link to some friends. Oh, the good ol' days of a few months ago.

-- Edited on 9/2/12 3:55 PM --

------

mary in FL
star
mary in FL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 4/28/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/2/12 3:56 PM

I learned two things very recently about blogging:
1. Allow post titles to show in my blog roll - Some people have found me because they saw my post in someone else's blog roll. It also makes my blog roll (and blog) more useful.
2. Give my blog posts catchy titles - if people are looking at a blogger's blog roll, they are more likely to click on one with a catchy title.

Doing these two things has increased my readership. I now look at my blog stats before I open google reader.

One thing to note, though, is I think that people who subscribe via RSS feed are not counted in my "Members." That's part of why I like to check my blog stats.

------
from Daytona Beach, FL
http://mary-sews.blogspot.com/

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/2/12 4:20 PM

You have to forget about all that Joan. Really. If you are only writing for the world, it isn't gonna happen. Write what you want to and when you want to and enjoy the process. People who come will come or not, as they see fit and have time for, and yes, I am guilty of hardly checking blogs because of time constraints. So much is on social media these days. I have been torn between wanting people to see my blogs and wanting to take them down completely for the last two or three years.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
GA USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 4:23 PM

I'm a new blogger and while I want readers, I look at it mainly as a place to indulge my urge to write about every little sewing adventure I have...and if folks happen to read it and are interested in it, then more's the better. I try not to worry too much about how many readers I have, although I appreciate the occasional comments I have gotten.

I haven't reached the point you're at, where you had a lot of readers and they fell off. I am still slowly adding an audience. But I suppose it is like anything else, there is a literal blog EXPLOSION and folks can only read so many. Like my Vintage Singer blog - gosh there are hundreds with the same theme and many of them are probably better than mine.

As a blog reader there are some I read avidly for a while, then drift away for a few weeks, then pick it up again later. Maybe you are just in a temporary slump because everyone is busier with vacations and such this time of year and they are more likely to read blogs during the long, dull winter evenings!

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 4:26 PM

I'd still consider linking in my sig line with a short description following the link. That way people have an idea what your blog is about and can click through if they are interested.

I used to blog about personal finance and I had mine in my signature. People have varied interests and I'm sure I had a few readers from PR.

I'm pretty sure my link was followed with the lines "my personal finance blog" or something to that effect.

------
Mary

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to mary in FL <<

Date: 9/2/12 5:55 PM

Quote:
Allow post titles to show in my blog roll

I'm not sure you can do this on Weebly (very user-friendly, my speed!). Or at least if you can, I don't know how.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Blogs

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

StyleArc Katherine Blouse

photo
by: LTC

Review
Simplicity mini-wardrobe contest

photo
by: colormefun

Review
Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Pareau Style Wrap Dress

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Pareau Style Wrap Dress

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.